NHT/Vifa 2 Way Desktop Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHT/Vifa 2 Way Desktop Speakers

I built a pair of these in 2010 and I'm finally getting around to building 2 more pairs. All the design info is in the link I just gave, or the design link is in the first post of the old build thread.

The woofers are no longer available.

This time, I plan on building a pair with Jeff B's parallel crossover and the other pair with Wolf's serial crossover. It should be an interesting comparison. Wolf--sorry it has taken me so long to get around to this comparison build.

Re: NHT/Vifa 2 Way Desktop Speakers

Originally posted by PassingInterest View Post
    I built a pair of these in 2010 and I'm finally getting around to building 2 more pairs. All the design info is in the link I just gave, or the design link is in the first post of the old build thread.

The woofers are no longer available.

This time, I plan on building a pair with Jeff B's parallel crossover and the other pair with Wolf's serial crossover. It should be an interesting comparison. Wolf--sorry it has taken me so long to get around to this comparison build.
    I'm not complaining....
    Just don't forget the 1.5uF cap (that is not in the schematic) across the woofers. This limited the treble ripple from the woofers.
    The woofers were available on buyout from PE a little while ago, but I think even those are now gone.

Anxious!
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks for the reminder on the 1.5uF cap, Wolf. I don't want to forget that.

Pieces cut slightly over sized for trimming later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1159262

A vacuum bag platen is useful and easy to make. I think I set my table saw to 2" and made a shallow cut along all four edges, then moved to 4" and so on.
      Then, I applied a few coats of water based poly and waxed it after it dried, to make it easy to remove any glue drips from it.

Name:	002.JPG
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1159263

You make a hole in the platen small enough that the vacuum hose connector won't pass through and line up the connector with the hole.

Name:	003.JPG
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1159264

A few leaves of figured Mahogany and curly Maple. I plan on doing one pair of boxes completely with the Mahogany, so I won't get them confused as to which has Wolf's series crossover and which has Jeff B's parallel crossover.

Name:	004.JPG
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1159267

Two Cherries veneer saw.

Name:	005.JPG
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1159268

Comment

I never got any of the medium colored veneer glue from Joe Woodworker/Veneer Supplies. Instead I got the light and dark and used some of each to mix my own medium glue, so I have light, dark and medium. I dispense the glue from some plastic bottles I got from a discount store. A foam roller applies the glue quickly to 6 pieces at once and then a Ziplock bag keeps the glue-soaked roller fresh until the next application.

Name:	006.JPG
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1159269

Looking good so far. A close look shows two damaged areas I patched on the bag. No biggie.

Name:	007.JPG
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1159270

Vacuum pump. I got the two pumps rebuilt off Ebay and followed the plans and bought other parts and pieces from Veneer Supplies dot Com.

Name:	008.JPG
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1159271

Looks like I'm pulling close to 27 inches of Mercury. Oh, and I use some cellophane packing tape to cover my gauges, to prevent fogging from over-spray.

Name:	009.JPG
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1159272

In case anyone is unclear on why someone would want a vacuum press, imagine taking a submarine down close to crush-depth in the ocean. That's pretty much what you are doing when you pull a strong vacuum inside the bag. The atmospheric pressure can crush a flimsy box inside the bag, so you get more pressure than you can achieve with clamps. I also read something about the vacuum drawing glue into the veneer for a superior bond.

Comment

PI,

Great build and super pics! what are you using for suction on your veneer press? looks like a good setup. I've never used one - just used the iron/glue method.

Love your shop - way too clean and organized. Mine looks like Terminator took firing range practice in there after a tornado hit.

Comment

Ken--Thanks for the kind words!
            The pumps are a pair of these Thomas pumps, but like I say, I got them off Ebay, rebuilt for pretty cheap.

A new batch is in the press while these air dry.

Name:	010.JPG
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1159276

Comment

It's always fun to watch you in action. Appreciate all the step-by-step instructions and tips.
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

bkeane1259--Thanks!

I goofed. My mind must have been elsewhere (lunch) and I forgot that I did not want to bevel the edges where the front baffle mates.
                So, I glued the cutoffs back on and then broke for lunch.

Name:	011.JPG
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1159294

Name:	012.JPG
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1159295

That's every piece except the front baffles.

Name:	013.JPG
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1159296

Comment

I glued and clamped the ends on.

Name:	014.JPG
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1159320

Trim some waste.

Name:	015.JPG
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1159321

Sand flush.

Name:	016.JPG
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1159322

Name:	017.JPG
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1159323

Comment

Name:	018.JPG
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1159324

I had some cracking on the rounded edges, but only with the Curly Maple.

Gel superglue and some veneer pieces were inserted edge-wise, but other filler pieces were carefully shaved from the edge of a scrap piece and inserted into the gaps face-up.
                    Tweezers help position the splinter gap-filler and the flat sides of X-Acto blades press the filler piece into the gap, then turn the knife around and use the handle to press the filler piece firmly down into the gap, by rolling it along the repair. That trick only works on the face-up filler trick. It won't work on the edge-up filler trick.

Name:	019.JPG
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1159325

Name:	020.JPG
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1159326

Here is a closeup on the repaired area. It is not perfect, but I think it is okay.

Name:	021.JPG
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1159327
                    Last edited by PassingInterest; 07-24-2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Nice reconstructive surgery there. I would have thrown my hands up in disgust and probably uttered several explicatives in the process. Is there any chance the glue will create an imperfection with the finish coat?
                      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                        Is there any chance the glue will create an imperfection with the finish coat?
                        Nope. This is after 2 coats of Zinsser Seal Coat (DeWaxed Shellac).

Name:	022.JPG
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1159330

Name:	023.JPG
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1159331

Hmmm...I didn't get a closeup of the repaired area. I will later.

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                          ....explicatives in the process.
                          "That word- I don't think it means what you think it means." (Princess Bride)
                          Pretty sure 'expletive' is what you mean.

Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Here is a look at the repaired area. It is not perfect, but I think it is acceptable.

Name:	024.JPG
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1159352

Comment

Great stuff. Beautiful veneer.

Is that vacuum bag store-bought? Or did you somehow make it yourself? I often consider a vacuum setup but when i add up the costs i can never justify the price given the small number of projects i work on. The bags alone are not cheap and that looks like a monster

Comment

Working...
                              X