Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NHT/Vifa 2 Way Desktop Speakers

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post
    Wait.... WHAT???? Wolf designed a DQ25???

No wonder it's getting so cold. Burr!

Speakers look awesome, BTW.
    Yes- I did a xover sim for the NorCal collaborative project a good bit ago that utilized the DQ25, and it was an exercise in fun. I made certain decisions about it because I knew that I didn't want to xover it very low. This is just to see if it suited me with something I did, and to contribute to the design discussion. Jeff's xover got the nod from the judge, so mine (until now, maybe) really didn't get any reviews or builds to support it.

...and I have a design for the RS52 as well, despite never hearing either the NorCal nor the Serenade.

Haven't we all had designs that weren't 'up to par'? So- even if I don't like them, it's okay not to.
    Yes- I know you're just jabbing me....:p

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by PassingInterest View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]49092[/ATTACH]
      Wow, beauties!

Comment

Thanks, Joe!

Here are the others. I don't have much listening time in on them yet, but a quick A/B does reveal some subtle differences. It's way too soon to say anything much about them. Right now, I could not pick one over the other. Not yet, anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	056.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1159558

Comment

Fantastic PI. How do you get your veneer seems to meld together so well? It looks like the finish has built up considerably at the edges. Is that what makes the seems disappear?
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
            Fantastic PI. How do you get your veneer seems to meld together so well? It looks like the finish has built up considerably at the edges. Is that what makes the seems disappear?
            Thanks! It is a spray/sand process that fills in the wood grain and the seams at the same time. You're right, I should have paid more attention to the edges to avoid allowing unsightly buildup of the poly. I got in a bit of a hurry with these, because of other things going on at the same time.

I wish I had Wolf's keen canine ears, because then I'm sure I could pick a clear winner between these two. I definitely hear a subtle difference, but I cannot pick a clear winner. Maybe I just need more listening time. Plus, the drivers have not been broken in yet.

Comment

Again, they both sound great. Now that I've had more time to listen, I have to say that Wolf's version is my preference. The vocals sound more natural to my ears.

Interestingly, a neighbor stopped by moments ago and he said the same thing. They are both good, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	057.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1159579

Comment

Again, they both sound great. Now that I've had more time to listen, I have to say that Wolf's version is my preference. The vocals sound more natural to my ears.

Interestingly, a neighbor stopped by moments ago and he said the same thing. They are both good, though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49140[/ATTACH]
                Nifty! thanks for the feedback,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I built a pair of these in 2010 and I'm finally getting around to building 2 more pairs. All the design info is in the link I just gave, or the design link is in the first post of the old build thread.

The woofers are no longer available.

This time, I plan on building a pair with Jeff B's parallel crossover and the other pair with Wolf's serial crossover. It should be an interesting comparison. Wolf--sorry it has taken me so long to get around to this comparison build.
                  It may be super helpful to post Jeff B's "parallel crossover" here (if it is different from Jeff B's crossover you just posted in the other thread. Or perhaps re-post all three crossovers here so that all the great designs are on the same page. It is a pity that Jeff B's pages are gone. Thank you!

Comment

I have only one crossover design from Jeff B for this project and one from Wolf. I don't have any others.

Here is Jeff B's.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jeffs_NCDIYaudio_xover.jpg Views:	2 Size:	23.7 KB ID:	1394344

Here is Wolf's, with a reminder from him: "Just don't forget the 1.5uF cap (that is not in the schematic) across the woofers. This limited the treble ripple from the woofers".

Click image for larger version  Name:	WolfsXover.JPG Views:	1 Size:	113.8 KB ID:	1394345

Comment

Those look spectacular!
                      No matter where you go, there you are.
                      Website

Comment

Originally posted by gowa View Post
                        Those look spectacular!
                        Thank you very much for the kind words!

Comment

Working...
                        X