Seriatim from InDIYana and MWAF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriatim from InDIYana and MWAF

Here is my Seriatim (Latin for "in series") build from Ludicrosity InDIYana and MWAF.

The drivers are HiVi RT1.3 tweeter and RS180P-8 woofer. The HiVi RT1.3 WE (round face plate) is a direct replacement.

This speaker uses a series crossover. The crossover transfer functions are shaped similar to the Neville Thiele Method™ (NTM). The slopes are 48dB /octave, eighth order.

I've been playing with a crossover for positioning this speaker on a shelf and near a wall. I've included this “tweaked” cross over along with the original.

If the original crossover sounds a bit fat, increase the insulation behind the woofer.

See the attached PDF for the details.

Let me know if you see any errors.
    Attached Files
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Re: Seriatim from InDIYana and MWAF

Great work John. This is a super nice speaker. Kinda glad I didn't have to compete against you twice!
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Very beautiful design and execution!
        Ever since I saw a pic of those I was wondering about them.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Beautiful project and congrats on your first place!

Do you have any off axis measurement ? I'm curious how well your project did off axis being that you cross a 7" driver relatively high (3.8khz ?)

Chucky

Comment

The subjective results were good. I do not have actual measurements. Here's pic of the modeled response at 45 degrees.
            Attached Files
            John H

Comment

Thanks for sharing what looks to be a great design. I would like to build a version of these using the P/E .56cf flat pack cabs (#300-7064) and flared ports. Precision Ports' website port-length calculator suggests using a tube length of about 6.4 inches to tune a 3 inch diameter port to 50hz. Does this sound right? The suggested 2" diameter port length would only leave .5 inches of tube after subtracting 5 inches from the calculated length (per their instructions). See http://www.psp-inc.com/tools2.html.

I built a pair of Zaph Audio SR-71s using the same cabinets and they sound fantastic. However, the SR-71s are rear-ported because the baffle lacks space for a front-mounted flare port. Would rear-mounting the port here seriously impact sound quality (they will go on stands, not on a bookshelf)? If so, any other suggestions for commercially available port alternatives? I am confident I can build the rectangular ports per the provided design, but would like to do the build as off-the-shelf as possible to encourage others without advanced woodworking skills.

I am looking forward to comparing these with my SR-71s down the road.

Winston

Comment

The rectangular baffle will change the tweeter response a bit so your result will be different. You can you a 2 inch port without a problem. Rear mount is OK.

If you go rear mount you can use the PE adjustable 2 inch port, http://www.parts-express.com/speaker...table--260-387
                John H

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will post pics once I get started.

Comment

Working...
                  X