All GRS small 3-way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All GRS small 3-way

No name, but Le Petite Sarcophage is as good as any.

8" poly cone GRS woofer, GRS sealed back midrange, and the GRS mylar tweeter. Sealed, 0.5 cubic feet. Please excuse the crudity of my drawings, my main PC is down at the moment so I just tossed some stuff together using Paint.

On axis FR:

The dip at 2.1K is inherent to the midrange. Impedance is a very safe 8 ohm load, and barely exceeds +/- 30 degrees phase angle.

Crossover:

Nine components, but only two of them are inductors. Reverse polarity on the midrange.

Cabinet (yes, intended to be horizontally mounted - can be used upright, however. Obviously, the two should be mirrored):

If using them vertically, they can probably be built as tall as you want it, these woofers are hungry for space. Maintain width and driver orientation, however.

Shopping cart (minus connectors, cabinet and cabinet finish of course):

Here is what they look like in Duratex (much more gooder shot):

I built these to gift to my wife's band for use in their rehearsal space. Sorry, no reviews on my own stuff any more but I will say they sound good enough

*Edit 1* The shopping cart is wrong, it should be a 4uF NPE capacitor instead of the 3.3, and it should be a 2 Ohm resistor rather than the 3.

*Edit 2* Much more nicer CAD drawings.

*Edit 3* Much more gooder finish shot
    Last edited by johnnyrichards; 10-29-2014, 06:46 PM. Reason: Screwed up.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: All GRS small 3-way

Looks good. $100 BoM is nice, too.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Nice! I've been waiting to for some info on this one. The price is right!

Comment

I know I'm setting somebody up, but I always love a three-way.

Comment

I was thinking about this same kind of setup at work today. I'm glad someone who knows how to do crossovers did it first.
          I wonder how many people I've looked at all my life and never seen.
          - John Steinbeck

Comment

I know you have been wanting to do a monitor of this style for a while. Nicely done.
            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
            Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
            http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Can Amanda critique the speaker? ;)
              Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
              DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
              Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Nice job. Haven't seen any budget builds from you for a while. Welcome back.
                Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

The exact size of my diysoundgroup flat packs door prize from Iowa.

Comment

They are the exact size because they are the same flat packs Part of the process in creating a build that requires a bare minimum of tool proficiency. This is the natural evolution of the Cabrini build from a few years ago, as well as a relative of the monkey coffins I did awhile back as well.

Comment

Very cool, JR.

Are you willing to share any thoughts on the GRS tweeter?
                      Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.

We are passionate about great sound at whatever level we can afford, so don't let the audio atheists reduce the experience to a set of numbers and squiggly lines. - jbruner

Comment

Definitely worth the $3. Most of the Audax clones out there have more or less been favorable in my experience.

Comment

Due to the PSU for the Nerdery PC arriving two days early (well played, Newegg) I now have real CAD drawings up.

I will try to update the shopping cart errors, as well. Although, I gotta admit, tampering with the PE shopping cart - especially with crossover components - is just not that enticing of a project.

I dusted my camera off, and will upload some more nicer pictures, as well.

Comment

Looks pretty cool. Seeing that this for "pro" audio use, did you consider using SpeakON connectors instead? I used them for my DIY pro build I don't think I'll use anything else at this point - they're that good.
                            Brian Steele
                            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Looks great thanks for posting!

Comment

Working...
                              X