Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Helium - a true micromonitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davidroberts View Post
    I have read through the tread and found several mentions of a MTM version. Does anyone know if these ever came to fruition?
    I actually Pm,d* Scott this very question recently. He said he hasn't done it, and referred me to page 7 of this thread as a starting point.

Comment

• Hi,

These are 4ohm, correct?

I am looking a set of satellites/surround to use my AVR, but I need 8ohm (6ohm at best) and found these while looking for JB's Quarks.

Comment

• Originally posted by mga2009 View Post
        Hi,

These are 4ohm, correct?

I am looking a set of satellites/surround to use my AVR, but I need 8ohm (6ohm at best) and found these while looking for JB's Quarks.
        The original design is 4 ohms. If you want to build the 8 ohm version see post #236. It has a revised crossover.

Comment

• Since I modeled that crossover, I voiced the Helium soundbar, which uses the 8 ohm version of the ND-91. The crossover will work for the Helium cabinet.

Designer: Scott Sehlin Project Category: Home Theater Project Level: Intermediate Project Time: 8-20 Hours Project Cost: $100 – $500 Project Description: The Helium Soundbar is a DIY soundbar…
          Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

• Jeff, Scott,

Thanks for your replies.

Scott, so I just need to use the crossover design for the "Helium Soundbar" in the Helium standard cabinet. Regarding the XO, I noticed the 3 Ohm 5w resistor is no longer in stock in PE. Can I just use a 1Ohm and 2Ohm in series? Also, is there any chance to change the dimensions on the cabinet, keeping the internal volume (and the components location in the baffle)??
            I need them a little bit shallower and taller to get them behind my couch.
            Last edited by mga2009; 07-16-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• The driver spacing for the soundbar is close to the same as the original Helium, so it should work fine. The 8 ohm version of the ND-91 has a slightly larger optimal cabinet than the 4 ohm, but as a result can play a little deeper. The soundbar has isolated chambers for the left and right channel that would be 4" wide by 4.75" deep by 9" tall as stand-alone speakers. You could flip that around and make them 4" deep by 4.75" wide by 9" tall. The port for the soundbar is 3/4" schedule 40 PVC, 4 inches long.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

• Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
                The driver spacing for the soundbar is close to the same as the original Helium, so it should work fine. The 8 ohm version of the ND-91 has a slightly larger optimal cabinet than the 4 ohm, but as a result can play a little deeper. The soundbar has isolated chambers for the left and right channel that would be 4" wide by 4.75" deep by 9" tall as stand-alone speakers. You could flip that around and make them 4" deep by 4.75" wide by 9" tall. The port for the soundbar is 3/4" schedule 40 PVC, 4 inches long.
                Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Very clear explanation.

Regarding the XO and the 3ohm resistor, I remember from school that if I install them in series they sum up the individual resistance, but I don't know if this will affect negatively on the SQ or any other spec of the speaker design.

Thanks!

Comment

• I've only put resistors in series during prototyping, but it won't hurt anything. A 3 ohm 10 watt resistor will also work, I chose the 5 watt because it was smaller.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

• I'm intending to build these but to also incorporate a small sub and use the Sure electronics combination of JAB2 and JAB3 with DSP in 2.1 config to drive the whole thing. I can use the DSP to cross from sub to heliums. I'm just wondering if I need to do anything to adjust the passive crossover in the heliums to account for the DSP filtering the lowest frequencies away?

Comment

• Just got the drivers and now I am buying the parts for the 8ohm crossover @PE.-

Any final recommendation aimed to improve SQ is welcomed!

Picture is the ND91-8 compared to the Dayton DS135-8 for a Matt Grant's Nexus TM. ND16-FA tweeter not shown.

Comment

• You need 4 of the 2.7uF caps. Everything else looks right.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

• thanks scott! will add another two. regarding the port tube, can i make it in a different ID and modify the lenght? i couldnt find 19mm ID sch40 tubes in my country. regards Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Comment

• sure, but you probably can't go any smaller (chuffing), and bigger will make it longer (box fitment issues - also you'll lose a little interior volume).
                            Be sure to check the tuning w/ith WinISD (or equivalent).

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                              sure, but you probably can't go any smaller (chuffing), and bigger will make it longer (box fitment issues - also you'll lose a little interior volume). Be sure to check the tuning w/ith WinISD (or equivalent).
                              chris, thanks for your reply. i can get 20mm tubing, which is only 1mm bigger than the 3/4 so i will make it a little bit longer. i will recheck it with winISD. my cabinet will be a bit bigger (taller) so maybe i can make a longer port and get a few hz lower? can i do that and keep the same XO and components location in the baffle? regards Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I would NOT sweat 1mm, at ALL. Proceed!

Comment

Working...
                                X