X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naught1
    replied
    Re: Helium - a true micromonitor

Hi Scott, thanks for sharing your work! Very nice.

Would you please post the port dimensions?

I have a really similar project using the ND91-4 in a 5"x3.5"x5.5" (HWD) enclosure, currently using a 1"IDx4" port. Results are disappointing, because there's this broad hump in output between about 125-400hz. Changing port length hasn't tamed it, and tweaking the BSC circuit isn't helping.

Then again, I don't have a tweeter yet, and to my ears the ND91-4 really needs it. I can imagine that the midbass hump might be a lot more acceptable with some actual high end output to counterbalance it.

Cheers again for posting your project.

Leave a comment:

• andykriech
    replied

Hi Scott,

I am interested in the dimensions and port size as well.
    Planning on building a set for my desk at work, now that I sold my set of Wolf's PCs to a co-worker.

Thanks, Andy.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by theLinks View Post
    No, :D
    ****er

Leave a comment:

• theLinks
    replied

No, :D

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by theLinks View Post
    At least Brian, you were in the dining room , unlike 2:30 in the morning in my hotel room! lmao
    These are looking great lil speakers!
    You'll never let me live that one down will you, Tim? Can I make it up to you in two weeks? I'll buy you a beer.

Leave a comment:

• theLinks
    replied

At least Brian, you were in the dining room , unlike 2:30 in the morning in my hotel room! lmao
    These are looking great lil speakers!

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    Wait a minute......Um.....oh that wasn't me. I was pushing it in the dining room.

Ok, there. I feel better now.

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied

Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
    That fact, along with the extra excursion comes in handy when you are at a hotel room full of audio geeks and someone (not naming any names ;) is throwing bass tracks at it.
    where were you at when this occurred ? I do not know anyone at the DIY events I have been to that would do such a thing. :D

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
    That fact, along with the extra excursion comes in handy when you are at a hotel room full of audio geeks and someone (not naming any names ;) is throwing bass tracks at it.
    Wait a minute......Um.....oh that wasn't me. I was pushing it in the dining room.

Ok, there. I feel better now.

Leave a comment:

• andykriech
    replied

Hopefully with the port dimensions, too.
    this is going to be a great little desktop speaker.

thanks, Andy.

Leave a comment:

• scottsehlin
    replied

Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
    Do you have a sketch of the baffle layout dimensions? (Driver and port locations)
    My goal is to get that posted this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• scottsehlin
    replied

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Getting into my 'shoehorning' territory there, Scottie! Close to a liter per cab creates some interesting dilemmas doesn't it? Parts selection is also kinda fun.

My Audinum, Xenum, and PC are all in this category, as well as Mark65's 'Dadiels', and cjd's 'Pecorino'; All have interesting solutions to the miniscule at hand.

Later,
    Wolf
    It seems a lot of my recent projects have veered toward the shoehorning territory. Hafnium was one of those where everything was where it was because that was the only way it was going to fit - but this project took that to even another level. Certainly, your projects helped provide inspiration along with the usual WAF considerations. I remember the first time I heard your PC's in the Grinnell auditorium and was amazed as I thought that they sounded like real speakers - even in that huge space.

Leave a comment:

• scottsehlin
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    Nicely done, as always, Scott. Wish I'd gotten to hear them at Iowa. I'm curious about the choice of ND91. I've used the ND90 lots of times and wonder what the tradeoffs are.
    Admittedly the ND91 is more expensive (when it is not on sale), so that is a very good question. The ND90 can be pushed very low if you can give it a little larger ported box, but the ND91 is nearly ideal in that small (1 liter-ish) enclosure I was targeting. That fact, along with the extra excursion comes in handy when you are at a hotel room full of audio geeks and someone (not naming any names ;) is throwing bass tracks at it. It should also help support a little lower sub crossover point for HT use.

If we stretched the height or depth of the enclosure by a couple of inches, I think the ND90 would start to come into play. I have some older Aura NS3's in an enclosure like that and get nice extension.

Another tradeoff to consider: For the flatpack I used, one can almost get an ND105 in there (cutout is 3.66" in diameter, internal cabinet width is 3.5"). In theory, that would do about 80Hz sealed and would handle quite a bit of power....

Leave a comment:

• Leroy R
    replied

Do you have a sketch of the baffle layout dimensions? (Driver and port locations)

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Nicely done, as always, Scott. Wish I'd gotten to hear them at Iowa. I'm curious about the choice of ND91. I've used the ND90 lots of times and wonder what the tradeoffs are.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Steele
    replied

I likey. I mean, I really likey. If someone was to offer this as a kit with precut baffle, I'd buy it in an instant. I need to replace my "Mini-Me" speakers, and these look like they'd fit the bill easily.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X