Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andykriech
    replied
    I have built the Lithiums and several of the Heliums. Love them both.
    I would build the Lithiums again if the size works for you. They are a very good sounding speaker and have good bass if fairly close to the wall.
    Andy.

Leave a comment:

• Goa604
    replied
    Thank you Scott! I will search for InDIYana 2017 and see if there is anything that would suit me better. Any recommendations on which build to look for? I would like it to sound very good, we are kinda tired of cheap bluetooth speakers. Thank you very much.

Leave a comment:

• scottsehlin
    replied
    The Helium could be made a little more bassy by moving to an MTM version (using the 8 ohm ND91, which can be tuned for a little more bass extension). Speakers like the Overnight Sensations or my Lithium project are about 4.5 liters and offer considerably more bass than the Heliums. In 2017 at InDIYana, there was a nanotech challenge that had a size limit of 3 liters. There were several designs that had impressive bass performance. If you search for InDIYana 2017, you can find some descriptions. I entered the Rhodium design, but it includes a Ribbon tweeter and is probably overkill for a "fun work speaker" from a cost perspective.

Leave a comment:

• Goa604
    replied
    I absolutely admire your knowledge and i understand the use case of monitors, however would a similar but more basy build be possible in not much bigger size? Im in search of a speaker build i would use for fun music at my workplace. We usually play trending music so a basy speaker wouldnt hurt. Any advice if this build could be modified or is there perhaps another build similar to this one i could find? I would limit the size to about 4 liters. Thank you very much in advance.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    It doesn't work the way you think it does.
    Besides, when you use 2 speakers in parallel, their (combined) sensitivity rises +6dB (which is even WORSE, right?)!

Leave a comment:

• Scarface1
    replied
    Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
    Re: Helium - a true micromonitor

Sensitivity is pretty low, as Bryan mentions. They are right around 79 dB. I was targeting about the same power Bryan recommends - around 50W. The good thing about the Heliums is that they can comfortably handle that power.

Hi Scott, I want to build this speaker for a 2.1 setup, but now I have use the nd65 because the subwoofer have a 80.7db SPL. I had to use 2 nd65-8 in parallel because of the missing Xmax.

Now I read the heliums are at 79db, will this work with a sub (w5-1138) with 80.7db. I think so but just for sure to avoid mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• scottsehlin
    replied
    The 10W resistors will be fine. The 5's were nice when available to save a little space. Also, there are a couple of different tweeter resistor combinations that work (14 and 39 ohms or 15 and 47 ohms).

Leave a comment:

• stephenmarklay
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    That, or you could use the 1.8n(ohm) 5w, or a 2.2n 10w, and 47n 10w.
    If you're worried about the 2.0n being "off", you could use Dayton's # 004-2.
    IMO THAT 2ohmer (in shunt) is not super critical.
    Thank you sir. From what I have read using the 10w is space constrained but I think others have managed it.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    That, or you could use the 1.8n(ohm) 5w, or a 2.2n 10w, and 47n 10w.
    If you're worried about the 2.0n being "off", you could use Dayton's # 004-2.
    IMO THAT 2ohmer (in shunt) is not super critical.

Leave a comment:

• stephenmarklay
    replied
    I noticed both of the 5w resistors are NLA at parts express. Is there a suitable swap or should I source these elsewhere?

Leave a comment:

• Dunk_c
    replied
    Scott, I honestly cannot say. I didn’t do any A/B type testing with the other channel before I rewired. I think this is the only way I could tell. I don’t believe I have much ability to hear subtle differences. I think it is something that needs practice and maybe training.

Leave a comment:

• scottsehlin
    replied
    Have you noticed a difference in listening with the tweeter polarity corrected?

Leave a comment:

• Dunk_c
    replied
    Tweeter polarity corrected and retested.

Leave a comment:

• Dunk_c
    replied
    The one speaker I tested did indeed have a reverse wired tweeter, the other was OK. I might redo the sweep and repost results on weekend.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• scottsehlin
    replied
    If I recall correctly, I measured at 0.5 meters (or about 19 inches) at tweeter height, but with the mic pointed at the center of the baffle. Since the dip is right at the crossover point, and I haven't seen it in several measurements that I have done over the years, I would at least double-check the tweeter polarity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X