X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Re: Cabrini Redux

Nick had them most of the weekend, and Lowell just picked them up this afternoon. Hopefully they both have good things to say about them!

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Lowell Simpson will be picking them up on Monday to give his impressions, and Nick will hopefully be stopping by this weekend for a listen as well.

Lowell is willing to get these into the wild along his route, within reason of course. Hit me up if you want them for awhile, and I can check with Lowell or whomever has them at the moment to see if it is feasible.

I believe Chuck has second dibs at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

Line the enclosure with a bit of mattress topper and that hump should even out as well. These grs drivers are looking like fun to play with!

Leave a comment:

• Thezeek
    replied

Cool build and design philosophy you have there.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Interesting...

All the talk about tower this and that, made me look into modeling a 30L vented, and came up with some surprising results.

First, the graph. F3/6/10 of 40/37/35.

Excursion at 30 watts

If a guy can live with the hump centered around 90 Hz (and it isn't toooo objectionable) and the inability of the system to play super-loud, I think venting could end up working really well.

Below tuning, there is plenty of cone control - most vented systems will pop out at just a watt or two below tuning.

Interesting. Port it up, Ken.

Leave a comment:

• Dewmiester
    replied

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
    I ordered the drivers and resistors last night. I will be wrapping my own coil for this build I will be building a Tower to fulfill a certain WAF factor. Do I need to worry about over excursion?

In post one he talks about building a tower. Build these into a tower with the tweeter about 33" off the ground, and you will probably be very, very satisfied with them.

I may try a pair of these.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

You could always create a proper sized "box" with a solid horizontal brace... Or maybe JR could cook up a ported version, I don't think many (if any) GRS drivers are good in ported enclosures, the Qts is always super high.

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

I ordered the drivers and resistors last night. I will be wrapping my own coil for this build I will be building a Tower to fulfill a certain WAF factor. Do I need to worry about over excursion?

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    Yeah, sorry - 6.5" GRS poly and the "high-end ultra precision piece" is that tweeter.

Tweeter is not really horn loaded per se, but it is recessed such that flush mounting is probably of only moderate benefit.

The only thing I gained with a 2nd order, damped or otherwise, on the woofer was an alarming rise in non-linear distortion through the crossover region. Doesn't need the extra components whatsoever.

Better luck in the future figuring out how to use the cheap stuff, Rickey.
    Oh, snap. [emoji1]

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Originally posted by martyh View Post
    Four pieces? FOUR?!?! You magician, you!
    Abracadabra! Things started to click when I tossed the simulator to the side and started doing it by ear. I do that with all my builds, though, so just got lucky on these drivers.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Yeah, sorry - 6.5" GRS poly and the "high-end ultra precision piece" is that tweeter.

Tweeter is not really horn loaded per se, but it is recessed such that flush mounting is probably of only moderate benefit.

The only thing I gained with a 2nd order, damped or otherwise, on the woofer was an alarming rise in non-linear distortion through the crossover region. Doesn't need the extra components whatsoever.

Better luck in the future figuring out how to use the cheap stuff, Rickey.

Leave a comment:

• martyh
    replied

Four pieces? FOUR?!?! You magician, you!

Leave a comment:

• Whitneyville1
    replied

I haven't used but one pair of GRS drivers. OEM buy-outs may sure act like this: You've got what you bought. Which may not be bad at all. I'll say I've not had great luck with Goldwood's and leave it at that. I have an elderly pair of Radio Snack Nova 6B's (8" woofer 3" cone tweeter 1st order on both) that need a tweeter up-grade from the bargain-bin. The XO freq. on the Nova's is 3KHz supposedly, but the GRS measures like a drop-in fit. The price sure seems right.

Leave a comment:

• nicholas_23
    replied

Another neato build , hope to hear these also in the near future JR. Looks like the tweeter is quasi horn loaded?

Leave a comment:

• Brek81
    replied

to few parts... not squiggly enough

good work JR, great budget build. i hope to hear these.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X