X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnnyrichards
    started a topic Cabrini Redux

Cabrini Redux

So the Cabrini project I did several years ago proved to be more popular than I imagined it would be, and I have been meaning to get around to doing a follow-up but have not really found the time to do so until very recently.

Essentially, I targeted as simple a build as possible with these, although they are somewhat more complex than the original Cabrini due to flush mounted drivers. The spirit of getting them done as cheaply as possible while maintaining a minimum of performance remains in this iteration.

So anyways, on to the squigglies....

First up is the on-baffle, raw driver measurements:

I ended up with a four element crossover, which yields the following:

There you see the Achille's heel of budget drivers - a 1db sensitivity difference between the two woofers. Nothing a deft touch with the balance control can't knock out, though.

My biggest surprise is the non-linear distortion measurement:

That is SPL accurate at 1/2M. That is very good for many designs, almost striking on a system using a $11 woofer and $8 tweeter.

The baffle dimensions:

Of course, the rest of the dimensions mirror the PE flat pack. Build these into a tower with the tweeter about 33" off the ground, and you will probably be very, very satisfied with them.

The crossover:

Sorry PE, you do not carry a 2.2mH 20awg air core coil :( I had to get one from Erse direct. Meniscus will wind one for you, but it will cost you. Substitute the 18awg Jantzen air core if you like, but avoid the P-Core variant.

All in all, I believe in this design - enough to loan them out to some forum members for their review. Arlis will be picking them up on Monday, and hopefully he can get some listening in before some other members get their mitts on them.

I am still shaking my head in disbelief at their sound quality. They are not hi-fi, they do not dig deep (~80Hz in this cabinet) and will not blow the roof off - but I have been listening almost non-stop for three days and am still enjoying them.

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	n85ovn4c5k56.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1335996

Cabrini the Last in the works. Have to resize the tweeter cutout slightly, but otherwise it should be a pretty quick conversion.

These were on the road for 2-1/2 years or so... Not sure what is in store for them after this final upgrade path, but as playback monitors in a studio they would probably work pretty dam good, actually. Not for mixing, mind you, but for playback.

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied
    Re: Cabrini Redux

Originally posted by Eternal Student View Post
    I've been trying to figure out the crossover and it's a bit blurry so I redid it in SchemeIt but I'm not sure the values and model numbers of the drivers are correct. Can you look it over and see if they are correct?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]64135[/ATTACH]

No, I don't think that would work very well! I do believe that you need some kind of return path for the little electricsicles!:D

Leave a comment:

• figure8
    replied

Yep; that's it. Midrange has polarity reversed.

Leave a comment:

• Eternal Student
    replied

I've been trying to figure out the crossover and it's a bit blurry so I redid it in SchemeIt but I'm not sure the values and model numbers of the drivers are correct. Can you look it over and see if they are correct?

Name:	Cabrini Redux CC.png
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	1171756

Leave a comment:

• careyink
    replied

Originally posted by figure8 View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]64047[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64048[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64049[/ATTACH]

My objective was easy to understand dialog and I think this goal was accomplished. This crossover sounds fine to me, but the woofer section probably could be improved upon. I like the looks and the sound.
    Nice Job I really like the look...

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Nice job, gives me food for thought...

Leave a comment:

• figure8
    replied

Name:	IMG_0081.jpg
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	1171702Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	1171703Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	1171704

My objective was easy to understand dialog and I think this goal was accomplished. This crossover sounds fine to me, but the woofer section probably could be improved upon. I like the looks and the sound.

Leave a comment:

• figure8
    replied

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Size:	483.4 KB
ID:	1171680
    another picture. Haven't figured this out yet.

Leave a comment:

• figure8
    replied

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	1171679I have smoothed with bondo, sealed edges with shellack, primed and wet sanded. Should be ready for finish coats this weekend. Also have the crossover put together on a PE board.

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    Hey... that's great!
    It is.

I knew him before he was famous.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Hey... that's great!

Leave a comment:

• figure8
    replied

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	1171468Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	1171468

Slow but making some progress. Cabinet for cabrini based center channel is ready to start finish work. I have built a crossover and tested by ear. I used the crossover Johnny designed for the large grs 3 way with less padding on the mid and none on the tweeter. Using a 2mh inductor and 66mfd capacitor on the parallel connected woofers, but that may change. I'm really encouraged by the sound so far. Dimensions are 9"h x 10.5" deep x 24" wide. 3/4" mdf.

Leave a comment:

• figure8
    replied

Here is what I have come up with for my center channel: a WMTW in a horizontal cabinet with the GRS midrange and tweeter from Johnnys 3-way mounted vertically in the middle flanked by a GRS 6 1/2" on each side. I will use the crossover from the 3-way as a start, but with a 1.25 mh inductor and a 33mfd capacitor on the woofer. I'm thinking reducing the series resistor on the midrange to 5 ohms and removing the series resistor from the tweeter to allow for the increasesd sensitivity from the extra woofer. I'm not sure whether or not I need to increase the values of the series capacitors on the midrange and tweeter to allow for less resistance in the circuit. I know I would need a larger capacitor if the resistor followed the capacitor in the circuit, but I'm not sure where as in this case the capacitor follows the resistor. I'm using 2 6/12"s instead of the single 8" for looks, so I hope I don't screw things up too bad.

Leave a comment:

• careyink
    replied

Originally posted by figure8 View Post
    MTM- just so I understand, did you use 2 61/2" with the piezo horn?
    Yes that is correct. Look here http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-Cabrini/page2

Also keep in mind that I have not heard the redux version. But I will say this was a great first build and still enjoy the bookshelves and center as that is what I run out in the garage for for football and movies... the only place I can smokes cigars.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X