Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Genesis speaker cabinet redo project.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genesis speaker cabinet redo project.

Building two fronts, cc, and powered subwoofer for a friend of a friend in Chicago. She is an artist and loves loud music (plays in a local girl band that tours). So I stepped out of my comfort (boring) zone to spice up some cabinets a little.

Had some old Genesis speakers labeled 1979. Cabinets were vinyl covered particle board. I cut out the motor board (now its the back and installed 3/4"ply with bracing inside cabinet front to back. I used the back (with xover cutout) and placed the hole in the middle of the bottom 6.5" Klipsch K-1053K woofer (two per cabinet). I'll used K-85 tractrix horn for tweeter and 10" PR on back

Did the sweep the floor special on the outside using solid wood on the front and top 13/16" and veneers ply on sides (two outer sections are pommelle eucalyptus and center is pommelle figured eucalyptus (she picked these out). Got a little purpleheart on the front edge with ash birch mahogany and walnut. suckers are heavy now at 50 lbs without speakers. Plan on having one 12" sub or two cabinets with two 8" pinnacle woofers driver by 250 watt plate amp. CC will be two 6.5" with same tractrix horn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	1191516

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	1191517

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	1191518

Re: Genesis speaker cabinet redo project.

Better pics in sun yesterday.

Name:	IMG_0206.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	1163610

Name:	IMG_0208.JPG
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	1163611

Name:	IMG_0209.JPG
Size:	529.7 KB
ID:	1163612

Comment

Better pics in sun yesterday.

Name:	IMG_0206.JPG
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	1163613

Name:	IMG_0208.JPG
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	1163614

Name:	IMG_0209.JPG
Size:	529.7 KB
ID:	1163615

Comment

sorry for double post!

Comment

Ken, I am very disappointed that I cannot do work like that. There is a reason I either paint or duratex things - much easier to correct mistakes made during my admittedly inferior woodworking process.

Beautiful work!
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

That is just a treat to look at Ken..... ;)
            Bob
            NLA

Comment

Thanks guys. Somewhere I heard that American Indians always made a mistake on things they built because only God could make something perfect!!! I adhere to that idea in everything I make!! So when I make the hasn't happened yet but it will mistake I use that as an excuse. I prefer to have the mistake occur inside the cabinet rather than on the top! Sometimes I get lucky.

The extra wood makes theses very heavy - about 60 lbs for cabinets without speakers so far.

Comment

wow, those are very nice. great job. looking forward to more.
                craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

What - hold everything - customer decided to go another route (at my suggestion) so I've stopped on this project and started on her other choice - a think column with built in riser with two 6.5" woofers and 7" tractrix horn. Gonna do these all in one wood - cherry veneer with solid cherry trim. Think I've got the first project sold to someone else already. Will post more later when I get to veneer stage.

Comment

That is amazing work! Just a little sad about the fate of those Genesis speakers, I have the 1+ version and they are some of my favorite speakers after some cherry veneer and a fresh coat of black paint on the front and back.

Comment

Yeah, looking back I could kick myself for not refoaming the woofers. Cabinets are well built

I'm back to finishing these now. Have 5 coats of poly on them going for 6 tonight. Here are a few pics.

Name:	IMG_0994.jpg
Size:	484.8 KB
ID:	1166102

Name:	IMG_0995.jpg
Size:	538.2 KB
ID:	1166103

Comment

These are GORGEOUS!

If you ever want to submit for us to feature in our project gallery, here is a link: https://partsexpress.wufoo.com/forms...ry-submission/
                        Ecommerce at Parts Express

Comment

Working...
                        X