replied
    Re: Yet another Voxel build

Yes, I understand that feeling too!!!

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Originally posted by FourForty View Post
    Very nice building Don.....It looks awesome!!!!!
    thanks man - I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Leave a comment:

• FourForty
    replied

Very nice building Don.....It looks awesome!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Originally posted by rmeinke View Post
    Good job... nice looking build Don!!!

Thanks bud!

Leave a comment:

• rmeinke
    replied

Good job... nice looking build Don!!!

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Sketchup really helps when designing cabs. You can model virtually any joint you want to do and be sure that everything fits. You can create an exploded view, in addition to an assembled view, that will have the dimensions for each piece.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
    Wow, that's it! No more excuses for me.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

Originally posted by donradick View Post
    One of these days I need to sit down and learn Google Sketchup. Wish it did dimensioning.
    Is this what you mean?
    http://sketchupdate.blogspot.com/200...-sketchup.html

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    Thank you for the sketch and the narrative. I think many will find it informative.

That's the reason I never formally publish my sub designs; I feel like most of them need some sort of "exploded" diagram to explain how the pieces fit together.
    One of these days I need to sit down and learn Google Sketchup. Wish it did dimensioning.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Thank you for the sketch and the narrative. I think many will find it informative.

That's the reason I never formally publish my sub designs; I feel like most of them need some sort of "exploded" diagram to explain how the pieces fit together.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    I like how you fit the plate amp on there. Do you have a sketch of measurements of its placement on the cabinet?
    Well, I didn't have a sketch a few minutes ago:D

My outside dimensions are 11 3/4 W X 8 1/2 D x 7 D.

the plate amp is about 6 1/4 inches square, with most of the components protruding on the
    right side and bottom. The lip is about 1/2 inch from the bottom and right hand side.

Crude drawing, but this sort of shows how the plate amp fits with the port.

Click image for larger version

Name:	voxel-backside.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1164174

Originally, I'd planned on the amp placement on the left side of the back.
    After everything was cut, I did a test fit, and the amp hit the port flare inside.
    I flipped the rear board left to right, (got real lucky) and the amp fit perfectly.

Let me know if you need more specifics. Thanks for a great design!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

I like how you fit the plate amp on there. Do you have a sketch of measurements of its placement on the cabinet?

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Thanks Wolf. Working up an 8 inch sub project next.

Wife says "We need about 3 more subs around the house." Woohoo!

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by donradick View Post
    Oh yeah, when I first played it, I was getting some wierd buzzing at loud bass passages.
    Turned out that I'd used some 3/4 ply squares for the feet, and they would rub or dance around on our
    bare hardwood floor. I fixed that with standard self-stick felt pads.
    I gotta say in reply to that-
    My buddy I built the second Triumph for, thought he blew it one night. He said "it just stopped playing". He told me the next day that it had vibrated the power plug out of the power strip in his entertainment center.

Whoever said small bass can't be good hasn't heard the 1138 or 1139,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    started a topic Yet another Voxel build

Yet another Voxel build

Team,

I suddenly got the bug for a small sub, and once I looked at the universe of solutions, I
    realized that I'd be very hard pressed to do better than the Voxel.

I got the "blessed delivery" from PE on a Wed, and started planning the build.
    Box material is 1/2 BB from Rockler - I followed the dimensions pretty closely, but
    my ply was only 11 3/4 wide, and I wanted the box to be a little less high and a little
    deeper. Volume in liters was about .5L larger, because I wanted to go with a plate amp.
    I used the PE 25W plate amp:
    sa25-25w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-782

I actually did build it in one Saturday afternoon and put it into service immediately.

Name:	unfinished-front-iso-small.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1191613

The amp just looked so CUTE on the back side:

Name:	back-unfinished-small.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1191614

I really didn't have any idea how I wanted to finish it - initially I'd thought maybe I'd just clear coat it,
    but I wasn't really happy with the quality of the edges and joints, and had used brads on the front to hold
    it together while gluing. And oh yeah, it was such a fast build that I used a jigsaw to cut the holes for the
    driver, port and plate amp. In each case, the edge was covered, so it was not critical, and a lot faster
    than using my router.

In the end, I tried several stains and clear coats on some scraps, and liked Red Oak the best. Even
    though stain on BB is discouraged, I felt this was a fun, quick project with no aspirations to the heirloom speaker
    pantheon. :rolleyes:

The final result after clear coating with MinWax Wipe-On poly, is acceptable.
    Funny thing, I really like it as is - something about the unevenness and mild blotching gives it a bit of an antique feel.

Name:	front-view-small.jpg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1191615

Name:	iso-view-from-side-small.jpg
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1191616

Name:	BACK-P1010521-small.jpg
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1191617

Overall, I am VERY pleased with the SQ. Music on my standard Targas (F3 about46) sounded great, but the sub
    adds authority and another 1/2 octave. I do get the feeling though, that the W5 would like about 100 watts to really
    sing.

Oh yeah, when I first played it, I was getting some wierd buzzing at loud bass passages.
    Turned out that I'd used some 3/4 ply squares for the feet, and they would rub or dance around on our
    bare hardwood floor. I fixed that with standard self-stick felt pads.
    Last edited by donradick; 02-10-2015, 07:56 AM. Reason: added jigsaw cutting
Working...
X