Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

    The Quark kit from DiySoundGroup is now available!

    diysoundgroup.com quark kit

    I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

    High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

    Tangband W6-sub

    Comment


    • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

      Cool that they have the rebates to flush-mount the drivers.

      Erich does nice work!

      .
      Ed Henderson

      Comment


      • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

        Originally posted by donradick View Post
        The Quark kit from DiySoundGroup is now available!

        diysoundgroup.com quark kit
        That's pretty cool. I really didn't know that. Maybe I should order a pair ;-)
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

        Comment


        • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

          Originally posted by Soundslike View Post
          Very nice work Tom.
          Thanks Soundslike, if I was a baseball player I'd be batting .750... that's pretty good for baseball, not so much for baffle construction though. Thankfully MDF is cheap.
          I like the paint work on your set. I use veneer, the easy way out!

          You tweaked the crossover a bit? or just used what you had on hand. I see your air core is a .50 mh instead of the .20 mh spec'd by Jeff, unless I missed something in the 6 previous pages of posts.

          Also, I saw that the DIY soundgroup boxes had flush mounted the drivers, I didn't flush mount mine.

          TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

          *Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

          Comment


          • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

            Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
            Thanks Soundslike, if I was a baseball player I'd be batting .750... that's pretty good for baseball, not so much for baffle construction though. Thankfully MDF is cheap.
            I like the paint work on your set. I use veneer, the easy way out!

            You tweaked the crossover a bit? or just used what you had on hand. I see your air core is a .50 mh instead of the .20 mh spec'd by Jeff, unless I missed something in the 6 previous pages of posts.

            Also, I saw that the DIY soundgroup boxes had flush mounted the drivers, I didn't flush mount mine.


            TomZ

            I'll have to open mine up and check the air core. There may be some unwinding in my future. Maybe it's a good thing that for once I left the tag on. Thanks for pointing that out...
            Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
            Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
            Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
            Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
            Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
            NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

            Comment


            • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

              I am building The Quarks thanks to Erich's flatpacks! This is only my second build of speakers, so I have two questions if anybody could kindly help.

              First is just a crossover check, attached in a picture. Hopefully my layout makes sense? Any cross of a pen line and a crossover component means they will be connected.

              Secondly, the gasket for the woofers, do I attach those to the back of the woofer, or onto the front baffle?

              Thanks!
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                Looks good, I do the same type of "mental" check on my XO's before I solder anything.
                Paul

                The "SB's" build page
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

                Comment


                • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                  Any interest????? If so, I'll post pics and some graphs.

                  I built my 2nd pair of these, but in a 0.08/ft3 (or double the size) box. XO, Driver spacing and port all stayed the same, which tunes them to 80-Hz, down from 100-Hz. I had some scrap 1/2" MDF and thought I would try and coax a little more bass from them. To minimize the sound/imaging impact, I only changed the baffle by 1/2" wider and 1/2" taller, then went 1" deeper (so they are 7"H x 5-1/2"W x 6" D).

                  They are truly deceptive, with a 80-Hz XO to a sealed sub in my office, they really sound exceptional, with nothing missing and a fantastic sound-stage. I haven't listened to them on a desk top, but the original has good bass on a desk, I would assume these would be a significant step up.

                  Not to steal anything from Jeff of course, so I've been calling them "QuarksXL". No finish yet, so just bare MDF.
                  Paul

                  The "SB's" build page
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

                  Comment


                  • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                    Originally posted by bullittstang View Post
                    Any interest????? If so, I'll post pics and some graphs.

                    I built my 2nd pair of these, but in a 0.08/ft3 (or double the size) box. XO, Driver spacing and port all stayed the same, which tunes them to 80-Hz, down from 100-Hz. I had some scrap 1/2" MDF and thought I would try and coax a little more bass from them. To minimize the sound/imaging impact, I only changed the baffle by 1/2" wider and 1/2" taller, then went 1" deeper (so they are 7"H x 5-1/2"W x 6" D).

                    They are truly deceptive, with a 80-Hz XO to a sealed sub in my office, they really sound exceptional, with nothing missing and a fantastic sound-stage. I haven't listened to them on a desk top, but the original has good bass on a desk, I would assume these would be a significant step up.

                    Not to steal anything from Jeff of course, so I've been calling them "QuarksXL". No finish yet, so just bare MDF.

                    HAHAHA....Cute!!!
                    -Robert

                    Comment


                    • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                      The graph shows the tweeter rolling-off above 16 or 17k, down about 5db at 20k. Not that I could hear that (I know I couldn't), but is that an aspect of this particular tweeter, or interaction with the baffle, or something else?

                      Not criticizing, thinking about building a pair of these. Just curious.

                      Comment


                      • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                        Originally posted by philthien View Post
                        The graph shows the tweeter rolling-off above 16 or 17k, down about 5db at 20k. Not that I could hear that (I know I couldn't), but is that an aspect of this particular tweeter, or interaction with the baffle, or something else?

                        Not criticizing, thinking about building a pair of these. Just curious.
                        I think it's the baffle, here is my Quarks XL (baffle 1/2" wider (5-1/2") and taller (7")) and it drops less. but the next graph is the same tweeter on a 7.5" wide baffle centered and it drops as much or more than Jeff's graph showed. I also think you have to take the XO into consideration as well. Jeff B. is a master of efficiency with his XO's, where I am strictly a noobie, some may say that these two graphs do not have much in common, nor do they answer your question, but I think it may help you a little, but only my opinion.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	FR QuarksXL 30inch_148_CTA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1167059

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	ND20 graph.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1167060
                        Paul

                        The "SB's" build page
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

                        Comment


                        • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                          I twisted all leads together, to test the crossover, and roughly assembled the speaker (front baffle or speakers aren't screwed in, just held it together). Wow, they sound really good. Vocals are extremely clear and detailed. Bass is a bit lacking, but more present than I thought. Really excited to finish making these! Already contemplating a small subwoofer as well...

                          Comment


                          • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                            I thought I'd post some pics of my almost finished builds. Sorry, crappy cellphone pics. One was built out of salad bowls I found in Goodwill and the other I built for my niece using the PE flat packs
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	salad.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	1167177 Click image for larger version

Name:	flat packs 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	914.8 KB
ID:	1167178

                            Comment


                            • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                              Very creative with the salad bowls. They both look very good. Your niece will be very happy, I love my two pairs I built. So much, the "present" pair, has yet to be given to the person, like listening to them too much.
                              Paul

                              The "SB's" build page
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

                              Comment


                              • Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                                Thanks! I do love to listen to them too. The gift pair has gone to their new owner but I kept the round ones, I spent a lot of time on them and like them too much. My daughter is asking for a pair too and I have one pair of the founteks left. Just need to get the tweeters and flat pack

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X