• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim_Staton
    replied
    Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Originally posted by ejh2854 View Post
    My first experience with these little Lepai amps, and I'm impressed; drives the Quarks with plenty of n*ts for playing very loudly, and sounds great... a no-brainer for $27!
    Good to hear. Same thing on this end and hit "buy" before read this. Nice to know it's going to be a good fit!

Leave a comment:

• Tim_Staton
    replied

Originally posted by donradick View Post
    Hope this helps!
    Very helpful in making sure I got the correct resistor and capacitor. Thanks! Ordered a set and am looking forward to opening pandoras box!

Leave a comment:

• ejh2854
    replied

FWIW I needed a compact and (hopefully) goof-proof amp to drive the set I made for the missus, so I picked up a 2020A+ from our friends at PE:

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-l...upply--310-300

My first experience with these little Lepai amps, and I'm impressed; drives the Quarks with plenty of n*ts for playing very loudly, and sounds great... a no-brainer for $27!

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

If anybody needs specific part numbers, this is a cart for 2 pairs with the buyout ferrite core coil.
    IME, unwinding it is pretty easy, it's much smaller than the (massive) iron core coil, and very easy to hot glue inside the cab

Hope this helps!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PE-Cart-2-pairs-quarks.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1166231

Leave a comment:

• ejh2854
    replied

Originally posted by Tim_Staton View Post
    I see two options offered by PE that meet the 1.0mH spec - 266-550 and 255-100. Which one is best fit for this project? I know size is an issue but the physical dimensions on the 266-550 are not listed so hard to compare on that basis.

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

unwinding 111 turns on this coil got me right on http://www.parts-express.com/ferrite...-watt--269-303.
    I had the same results on 3 so far. I have the luck of having a very high end lrc at work that I used to measure my coils.
    edit: this is for the 1mh iron core. I was also lucky enough to wrap the take off into the other air core. so total inductors only cost me $5 for pair of speakers.

Leave a comment:

• bullittstang
    replied

Either will work, the 255-100 only real difference is the size. So up to you. Plans call for the 266-550, and I think everyone has used that one, unless they found a cheaper option (buy-out coil, they could unwind). From memory, I think 266-550 is about 3" long and about 1-1/4" wide and tall. Working with this small of a box is a challenge all in itself, but Jeff did a great job limiting the part count and still resulted in a great sounding speaker.

If you have questions, just post them. You will get all the help you need.

Leave a comment:

• Tim_Staton
    replied

New to the world of speaker building and figured this would be a good project given that I am in dire need of some speakers for my office. Speakers in the MacBook Pro just don't cut it!

Crossover question - I see two options offered by PE that meet the 1.0mH spec - 266-550 and 255-100. Which one is best fit for this project? I know size is an issue but the physical dimensions on the 266-550 are not listed so hard to compare on that basis.

Recommended part numbers for the tweeter resistor and capacitor? I think I have the right ones dialed in, but recommendations to confirm or adjust would be appreciated!

Sorry for the newbie questions. I checked out the sticky in the TT forum and unfortunately the crossover links are getting a lot of 404's. Crossover construction is my one big learning spot in this. If you have links to resources I'd be happy to educate myself more!

Leave a comment:

• patrickm
    replied

Jeff - these look awesome, I'll need to grab a pair or two of woofers to try these out. Thanks for sharing the design.

For anyone else looking to build these with flush-mounted tweeters, you can do this easily with cheap hole saws. The four-pack for about $12 sold pretty much everywhere has the right ones for the nd20fa. Just make the larger hole first, about the depth of the flange. The diameter is the one just a hair smaller than the tweeter. ( the hole saw teeth protrude and will make up the difference). Then go through the same pilot hole with the one that fits over the tweeter body. Use a knife, screwdriver, or dremel to knock out the little ridge left over, and voila.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Yes, And I don't know if the 85 will offer the same level of performance in the bass.....

Leave a comment:

• ejh2854
    replied

Building two pair as well, and just put the juice to set #1 a few hours ago... delighted!

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    Don, your speakers look real nice...
    and I REALLY like how you handled the crossover. What a compact space-saver, cool.
    I'm going to be working on a couple pair of my own soon,

There's under 650 of the woofers left, get to it people!

TomZ
    thanks Tom.
    These little fellas sound REALLY GOOD - people are going to kick themselves when the 83s sell out and
    they have to pay extra for the 85s.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied

Originally posted by donradick View Post
    I built 2 pairs at nearly the same time - a buddy commissioned a set, and my wife really needed a nice set of desktop speakers.

He was planning on rattle-can spray of some sort, but when he saw the raw boxes with some sealcoat, he decided on a clear finish.
    I was planning on veneering my wife's pair. The closer I got to finishing his pair, the more I liked the BB grain and patterns.
    All the time I was finishing his pair, I kept hearing a voice say "amber or honey".... so that's what I did - bought some
    amber shellac for that tint, and it was darn perfect.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56858[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]56859[/ATTACH]

I figured that since the boxes were so small, I'd better plan ahead!
    Managed to squeeze the crossover down (unwound a bunch from the $1 ferrite core coils), and hot glued it in.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]56860[/ATTACH]
    Used crimp on terminals for the drivers and terminals.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]56861[/ATTACH]

Many thanks again to Jeff for an amazing little design!
    Don, your speakers look real nice...
    and I REALLY like how you handled the crossover. What a compact space-saver, cool.
    I'm going to be working on a couple pair of my own soon,

There's under 650 of the woofers left, get to it people!

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

I built 2 pairs at nearly the same time - a buddy commissioned a set, and my wife really needed a nice set of desktop speakers.

He was planning on rattle-can spray of some sort, but when he saw the raw boxes with some sealcoat, he decided on a clear finish.
    I was planning on veneering my wife's pair. The closer I got to finishing his pair, the more I liked the BB grain and patterns.
    All the time I was finishing his pair, I kept hearing a voice say "amber or honey".... so that's what I did - bought some
    amber shellac for that tint, and it was darn perfect.

Name:	P1010587-crop-smaller.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1166177

Name:	P1010586-crop-smaller.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1166178

I figured that since the boxes were so small, I'd better plan ahead!
    Managed to squeeze the crossover down (unwound a bunch from the $1 ferrite core coils), and hot glued it in.

Name:	P1010584crossover-crop-smaller.jpg
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	1166179
    Used crimp on terminals for the drivers and terminals.

Name:	P1010580-boxes-crop-smaller-terminals.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1166180

Many thanks again to Jeff for an amazing little design!

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

I have all the parts for a MTM and would love to be in the shop cutting parts but I have no time... My goal is 3 mtm's for the fronts and the tm for surround. I don't really have room for a HT setup but for the price it is hard to go wrong. They really are nice speakers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X