The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

I thought I'd post some pics of my almost finished builds. Sorry, crappy cellphone pics. One was built out of salad bowls I found in Goodwill and the other I built for my niece using the PE flat packs
    Click image for larger version

Name:	salad.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	1167177 Click image for larger version

Name:	flat packs 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	914.8 KB
ID:	1167178

Comment

Very creative with the salad bowls. They both look very good. Your niece will be very happy, I love my two pairs I built. So much, the "present" pair, has yet to be given to the person, like listening to them too much.
      Paul

The "SB's" build page
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Thanks! I do love to listen to them too. The gift pair has gone to their new owner but I kept the round ones, I spent a lot of time on them and like them too much. My daughter is asking for a pair too and I have one pair of the founteks left. Just need to get the tweeters and flat pack

Comment

Hi everyone,

I am working on building a set of these for my daughter and have a question about the crossover.

The leads on the woofer are not labeled "positive" or "negative".
          However, one of the leads is a narrow pin, and one of the leads is a wide one.

Is there a convention in regards to this?

Thanks for the help,

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ORIF View Post
            Hi everyone,

I am working on building a set of these for my daughter and have a question about the crossover.

The leads on the woofer are not labeled "positive" or "negative".
            However, one of the leads is a narrow pin, and one of the leads is a wide one.

Is there a convention in regards to this?

Thanks for the help,

Mark

It's pretty hard to see, but the white terminal strip has a stamped "+" by the "fat" terminal:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	quark-woofer-closeup-IMG_0081.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1167218

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Finished my Quarks! They are excellent. I'm terrible at describing sound well, but they are extremely good. For the finish, I used an interesting spray paint, it is a flat, metallic "soft iron" color. Essentially a dark gray flat paint, with many extremely small metallic flecks. Only really is visible when the sunlight hits it, quite like the contrast between the paint, black drivers and the aluminium cone! Doesn't photograph too well, but I tried.

Edit: I can't seem to upload a picture. Keeps on saying it failed. Not sure whyl
                Attached Files

Comment

My particle board and solid wood baffle Quarks were started yesterday. Hopefully Jeff B. will get a chuckle out of these.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                    My particle board and solid wood baffle Quarks were started yesterday. Hopefully Jeff B. will get a chuckle out of these.
                    They look pretty good to me....it's all about the sound anyway.

Just finished the three kits ordered from Eric for theater...will post pics later. They sound amazing. I am just wowed all over again.
                    -Robert

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                      It's pretty hard to see, but the white terminal strip has a stamped "+" by the "fat" terminal:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]58472[/ATTACH]
                      There is no need to look for markings. The smaller terminal is 99% of the time the negative terminal.
                      "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
                      The Roxster
                      Swopes 5.0
                      Acoustic Panels
                      Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
                        There is no need to look for markings. The smaller terminal is 99% of the time the negative terminal.
                        I've seen Vifa and Audax drivers in the past that were reversed. JBL uses reversed locations for terminals on most of their stuff as I've been told.
                        Fountek ribbons had the incorrect markings on them for polarity at one time or another.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Just sitting here listening to the Quarks....Wow....what an amazing little speaker? Thanks again, Jeff..hope you are feeling better this morning.
                          -Robert

Comment

The Quarks take shape. Usually I hot glue my crossovers. This time, I used epoxy. The big coil was screwed to a piece of underlayment ply, then epoxied to the cab bottom. The other 3 components were epoxied to the cab side.

I recently shipped a pair of speakers and one of the big laminate core coils came loose from its hot glue. Hopefully this will be more secure.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The back panels, maple veneer over particle board. 50 hr. work weeks leading to slow progress.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I should have fixed the leak under the sink, but instead I worked on these. The Quarktinuums, unless Jeff B. objects. My last project was kind of a "plop in the box" thing, I thought I would try something a little harder. They turned out pretty nice, if I do say so myself. Several tasks new to me worked first time.

It's all fake, PSA veneer over particle board, with a solid maple baffle. I haven't finished them except for the baffles and back panel. I have little screws to put in the baffles to mimic the real Continuum.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X