Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• donradick
    replied
    Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

I've been playing my first pair for about a week on mostly TV duty, and they sound great!

I guess the best thing I can say is that they are perfectly voiced top to bottom, very good detail,
    and they can really fill up a room.
    Imaging and phantom center seem especially good. Pics soon.

Q: Is any one working on a MTM version? If not, I'm seriously considering the project.

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Ok, thanks Mike!

Maybe I am liking the 2238 better cause it has new upgrades, caps, etc. Though I really haven't done a good comparison, I guess I could change my mind. :rolleyes:

Still enjoy the sound of the PM8003 with the Quarks and the Karios!

I can just imagine how the Continuum TLs sound as I really, really like my Triton TLs!!

Robert

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
    Thanks Robert.
    The Voxel is not too small by any means. In my listening room, which is roughly 16 X 16, it fills out the bottom end when listening to my Continuum TLs very nicely. The Voxel is small, but it sounds larger than it is.
    I have a 2235 and a 2238. I stick with my 8003 because it has more "headroom" being about twice the watts RMS. I need to clean the pots on the 2238, but it is my garage piece for now. Very nice receiver.
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• mikejennens
    replied

Originally posted by woodsart View Post

Wonder how the Voxel would sound with the Continuums? I think it would be too small.

Robert
    Thanks Robert.
    The Voxel is not too small by any means. In my listening room, which is roughly 16 X 16, it fills out the bottom end when listening to my Continuum TLs very nicely. The Voxel is small, but it sounds larger than it is.
    I have a 2235 and a 2238. I stick with my 8003 because it has more "headroom" being about twice the watts RMS. I need to clean the pots on the 2238, but it is my garage piece for now. Very nice receiver.
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

They look great Mike...good job!!!

I have compared the PM 8003 with my Vintage..... while it sounds great with all my speakers, I prefer the 2238B Marantz....such amazing amps regardless.

The Quarks, Tritons or the Karios all sound great with a Marantz receivers.

I am anxiously waiting to hear comments regarding Jeff's new Corian Continuums this weekend at InDIYana. I plan to build them one way or another, but I first have to add the Bass Modules to the Karios.

Wonder how the Voxel would sound with the Continuums? I think it would be too small.

Ha, I also wonder how a Continuum TL would be in Corian!!! LOL :eek:

Robert

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
    I am QUARKED! Here are a few pics. My listening area and my Quarks setting on my Continuum TLs (a little bit of a size comparison...), a simple pic, a size comparison next to a half-gallon milk carton.
    I have a Voxel sub running with these; GREAT combo.
    And, like another post-er; I'm running these on a Marantz integrated. It's not vintage, but it's great- PM8003.
    Just as the Continuums are awesome speakers and Jeff designed a winner, he has done it again, especially for the budget minded, with the Quark. BIG shout out to Jeff. Thanks for sharing your expertise!
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• mikejennens
    replied

I am QUARKED! Here are a few pics. My listening area and my Quarks setting on my Continuum TLs (a little bit of a size comparison...), a simple pic, a size comparison next to a half-gallon milk carton.
    I have a Voxel sub running with these; GREAT combo.
    And, like another post-er; I'm running these on a Marantz integrated. It's not vintage, but it's great- PM8003.
    Just as the Continuums are awesome speakers and Jeff designed a winner, he has done it again, especially for the budget minded, with the Quark. BIG shout out to Jeff. Thanks for sharing your expertise!
    Mike
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
    Well, I don't know if it's super successful or not, but thanks.
    Definitely is getting quite the following though!

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

Jeff, I do think that you have a great design here. for desk top rockers they do a wonderful job in a small package. I was even thinking about remixing a MTM version for a high WAF set of tv speakers. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• mikejennens
    replied

I'm in on the Quark Club! The glue is drying as I sit here and type this. The baffles are cut and drilled. I rebated the woofer and the tweeter. That shouldn't degrade anything should it?
    I'm going to use these for music for a while with a Voxel sub, but they'll probably end up as the fronts for my HT.
    Thanks Jeff for sharing your knowledge!
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Hey Jeff, I love....love my 3 marantzes. The Vintage out sings the other two. The 2238B, 2250B or anything like that are great. I paid 200.00 for my 2238B and it had been recapped!

Believe me when I say your speaker designs sing well with Vintage Marantz!!!:eek:

Ask Bryan (with the Vintage Marantz Avatar). He is the one who sold me.

Blessings,

Robert

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
    Man, every time I see Marantz equipment I get the urge to go buy a nice used piece somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
    Congrats Jeff on another super successful design!
    Well, I don't know if it's super successful or not, but thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by woodsart View Post
    Hey Ken,

You are right, bass is good for desktop....and they just quit when a song goes too low.

Right at the moment I have a wall of sound with the Karios and Quarks playing together...quite complimentary!!! LOL!

Love this little Mini TDA1543 DAC...creates cohesive sound waves[ATTACH=CONFIG]56531[/ATTACH].
    Man, every time I see Marantz equipment I get the urge to go buy a nice used piece somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied

Congrats Jeff on another super successful design!

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Hey Ken,

You are right, bass is good for desktop....and they just quit when a song goes too low.

Right at the moment I have a wall of sound with the Karios and Quarks playing together...quite complimentary!!! LOL!

Love this little Mini TDA1543 DAC...creates cohesive sound wavesClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1165940.

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
    I don't think that the crossover would need to change as long as the width of the box and tweeter spacing was unchanged.
    That being said I don't think I would worry about changing anything. I have a set playing right now and they sound great! The bass is plenty for desk top listening. In a ported enclosure they will integrate better with a subwoofer then a tabaq. Another nice thing is when they cant play a certain bass track they just quit rather then fail.
    I used this for my test listening:http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/even...meniscus-2014/

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

I don't think that the crossover would need to change as long as the width of the box and tweeter spacing was unchanged.
    That being said I don't think I would worry about changing anything. I have a set playing right now and they sound great! The bass is plenty for desk top listening. In a ported enclosure they will integrate better with a subwoofer then a tabaq. Another nice thing is when they cant play a certain bass track they just quit rather then fail.
    I used this for my test listening:http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/even...meniscus-2014/

Leave a comment:

• danzz
    replied

Tabaq is a TL design for tang band drivers, you can find it here, or in the diyaudio.com thread here l... Thanks in advanced

Leave a comment:

Working...
X