Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Originally posted by djg View Post
    I should have fixed the leak under the sink, but instead I worked on these. The Quarktinuums, unless Jeff B. objects. My last project was kind of a "plop in the box" thing, I thought I would try something a little harder. They turned out pretty nice, if I do say so myself. Several tasks new to me worked first time.

It's all fake, PSA veneer over particle board, with a solid maple baffle. I haven't finished them except for the baffles and back panel. I have little screws to put in the baffles to mimic the real Continuum.
    i love the look!
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Quarktinuums...haha. Awesome build.

Comment

@djg -

Awesome little build. Beautiful veneer work.
        Any special concerns with cutting 45 degree miters on the veneer?

Don

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Those look pretty slick!
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
            @djg -

Awesome little build. Beautiful veneer work.
            Any special concerns with cutting 45 degree miters on the veneer?

Don
            The miters worried me, but were really easy. I cut 1/2" wide strips of the PSA veneer. Then I disassembled a combination square, laid the strip against the rule, used the 45 degree edge as a guide to score the strip with an exacto knife. Scissors cut and sand to a good fit. With the PSA veneer this all took about 3 hours from particle board to what you see in the pics.

Comment

Some build pics:
              Attached Files

Comment

It's funny how thick the wood seems, until you look at the biscuit slots and
                realize that they are something like 1/8 inch wide. I dig Quark builds!

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I've got a couple of these buyout inductors, http://www.parts-express.com/10mh-20...ctor--269-2124 Will they work in place of the iron cores?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
                    I've got a couple of these buyout inductors, http://www.parts-express.com/10mh-20...ctor--269-2124 Will they work in place of the iron cores?
                    Yes sir, I used that same inductor in a pair and couldn't tell the difference in the two pairs of Quarks.
                    Paul

The "SB's" build page
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Originally posted by bullittstang View Post
                      Yes sir, I used that same inductor in a pair and couldn't tell the difference in the two pairs of Quarks.
                      Cool, the smaller footprint probably helps too.Thanks Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
                        I realize others have said, but yes, that inductor will be fine.

Comment

• Another Quark build.
                          I've got a box fulll of the little FR-83 drivers, and mo' builds coming (think soundbar.....)
                          I used the PE CNC 1/2 inch MDF boxes, but decided to "bust my chops" and try for veneer.
                          The front roundover was not nearly a 1/2 inch roundover, but I made up some veneer softener, let the pieces
                          sit a few days, and paper backed cherry veneer glued down without a hitch.

Finish is about 5 coats of Watco Danish Oil, topped with Aquazar water based poly.

Thanks again to Jeff!

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

• Originally posted by donradick View Post
                            Another Quark build.
                            I've got a box fulll of the little FR-83 drivers, and mo' builds coming (think soundbar.....)
                            I used the PE CNC 1/2 inch MDF boxes, but decided to "bust my chops" and try for veneer.
                            The front roundover was not nearly a 1/2 inch roundover, but I made up some veneer softener, let the pieces
                            sit a few days, and paper backed cherry veneer glued down without a hitch.

Finish is about 5 coats of Watco Danish Oil, topped with Aquazar water based poly.

Thanks again to Jeff!

Those really look nice, Don!

Comment

• Great job Don! I will have to give that Danish Oil a try some day.
                              -Robert

Comment

• Originally posted by woodsart View Post
                                Great job Don! I will have to give that Danish Oil a try some day.

I used Danish Oil for the first time on a (non-speaker) project last year - patio furniture. Great stuff, just wipe-on / wipe-off with an old t-shirt and you get a great finish. First coat is heavy then a wipe-off after 5 minutes of soaking in to the wood. Subsequent coats are light and literally take a minute to apply.

Danish Oil doesn't "dry", it cures using oxygen. So you need to let each coat fully cure lest the finish becomes "sticky" as the undercoat never cures being displaced from the oxygen in the air. The first heavy coat takes the longest to dry since more oil has soaked into the wood.

I read that the guys that finish gunstocks have rule-of-thumb ... One coat a day for a week, one coat a weak for a month, one coat a month for year, then once a year (maintenance coats?). I followed that but stopped after a month and had a wonderful finish. I believe "repairs" are a simple as wiping on another coat or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X