Announcement

Collapse

2nd Annual Stock-toberfest

2nd Annual Stock-toberfest starts October 17th! Time to stock-up on great products at great prices! Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• randyohoh
    replied
    Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Being a noob I really appreciate the detail of the cross over schematic with the speaker polarity and input polarity clearly marked and the reverse polarity of the tweeter being noted. Dept. of redundancy dept. is ok, all doubt removed. I think a tabaq is a quarter wave tuned cabinet designed for tang band 3" full range drivers,.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by danzz View Post
    Hi
    I might be asking something stupid, but can it be mounted in a Tabaq enclosure with that crossover!?

I have the boxes from other project, also the tweeters and some crossover parts...
    I have no idea what a Tabaq is.

Leave a comment:

• danzz
    replied

Hi
    I might be asking something stupid, but can it be mounted in a Tabaq enclosure with that crossover!?

I have the boxes from other project, also the tweeters and some crossover parts...

Leave a comment:

• rdv
    replied

So I managed to mount the founteks to the sphere. Ported using the PE 1x4. Without the crossover they already sounded clear and full. When I added the xover and tweeter is when they really opened up! I am amazed at how this setup sounds. I couldnt stop listening to them! I would describe the sound as detailed and engaging.

The best sound I got from them was with both tweeter and woofer on the same plane so ill need fab some mounting for the tweeters. Thanks Jeff for a great design!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by rdv View Post
    oh yea sorry I meant .04. I wanted to mount the tweeter as close as possible to the fountek so if they were hanging from the ceiling both drivers can be 'seen' by the listener. likewise if they were on a desk the fountek would probably be on axis to the listener and the dayton would be facing up a bit, if that makes sense.

i was going to try it out anyway and play around with tweeter placement before cutting. I wasnt sure if I would need to cut the tweeter off lower or higher

thanks
    Since it sounds like you're going to be in the acoustic far-field I don't think you'll need to change anything. The original crossover should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• rdv
    replied

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
    That's difficult to say, it depends on how everything ends up being oriented. You can give it try and see how it works out. By the way, my cabinet is 0.04 cu ft, not .4.
    oh yea sorry I meant .04. I wanted to mount the tweeter as close as possible to the fountek so if they were hanging from the ceiling both drivers can be 'seen' by the listener. likewise if they were on a desk the fountek would probably be on axis to the listener and the dayton would be facing up a bit, if that makes sense.

i was going to try it out anyway and play around with tweeter placement before cutting. I wasnt sure if I would need to cut the tweeter off lower or higher

thanks

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Yep, a fast faux finish. My wife actually said those are cute, she actually like them.

Yours seem to be moving along as well. You will like the sound of these.

Robert

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
    Is that all a painted finish? they look amazing! I bet the wife likes those. Cant wait to see more pictures. I just got all the holes drilled now I just need to search through the supplies and see what terminals I am going to use, then I will be ready to assemble. It will have to wait until Sunday at the earliest.
    These speakers are fun to build in that everything can be done with calipers in hand; not something you usually get to do in the wood shop but it does seem to make the build go faster.

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2580.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	1165763Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2581.JPG
Size:	472.2 KB
ID:	1165764Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2584.JPG
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	1165765

Name:	IMG_2582.JPG
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	1165766
    This shows how small they it has a pencil/quarter for scale. You can also see how I did the joint work on the cabinet.

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

Is that all a painted finish? they look amazing! I bet the wife likes those. Cant wait to see more pictures. I just got all the holes drilled now I just need to search through the supplies and see what terminals I am going to use, then I will be ready to assemble. It will have to wait until Sunday at the earliest.
    These speakers are fun to build in that everything can be done with calipers in hand; not something you usually get to do in the wood shop but it does seem to make the build go faster.

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Name:	IMG_0417[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	1165760Oh Gosh, Jeff these things are really special, but hey you know how to design, no doubt. Got the finish completed last night or this morning at 1:30....had trouble with the ports then I realized I was shoving them in the tweets holes...what a sleepy head. Anyway I started listening and couldn't stop....just couldn't, but finally fatigue fueled eye closure! Gail and I were gone for the day, but I fired them up awhile ago and I am so amazed, so I will include a pic, but I will start pic thread here!

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

How would the ND20fb work? I assume that I would also need to flush mount the woofer to keep it on the same plane as the tweeter.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

The little speakers sound great driven by my receiver and everyone loves them. But I was a little disappointed when I hooked them up to the computer through the Topping amplifier. It may be because I have the Topping plugged into the audio jack on the computer. I may need to run it through a USB DAC and bypass the computer's sound card.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by rdv View Post
    Hi Jeff, I am thinking of building the quarks but in a sphere using two salad bowls. my volume works out to .4, the same as the flat packs. im not sure yet if will hang them off the ceiling or place them on the desk but either way the tweeter will not be on the same plane as the woofer, i am thinking of placing them as close as possible to the woofer though. how would this affect the crossover? thanks!
    That's difficult to say, it depends on how everything ends up being oriented. You can give it try and see how it works out. By the way, my cabinet is 0.04 cu ft, not .4.

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

Woodsart, I picked up some hammered spray paint that was on clearance. I have used this before and it holds up great but I think i will be building more then one pair of these. Other wise I will have a lot of leftover mdf scrap.

Leave a comment:

• rdv
    replied

Hi Jeff, I am thinking of building the quarks but in a sphere using two salad bowls. my volume works out to .4, the same as the flat packs. im not sure yet if will hang them off the ceiling or place them on the desk but either way the tweeter will not be on the same plane as the woofer, i am thinking of placing them as close as possible to the woofer though. how would this affect the crossover? thanks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X