Announcement

Collapse

2nd Annual Stock-toberfest

2nd Annual Stock-toberfest starts October 17th! Time to stock-up on great products at great prices! Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the kind words, guys.
    I really enjoyed the Danish Oil finish and will use it again for dark(ish) woods

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

• Nice work Don they look great... anxious to see the sound bar happen.

Comment

• Hi Jeff, Awesome project. I really appreciate your designs and your excel spreadsheet is super. I ordered a pair from Erich and I am looking forward to the build

Can you tell me a little more about your design for the quarks? When I model the FE-83 in your 0.04ft enclosure tuned to 101hz I get a get a 10db peak at 103hz and an f3 of 82 hz f10 of 73. Sealed in the same enclosure yields a smooth drop to an F3 of 136 and the same F10 of 73 with no peak at 103hz.

If you were using this with a sub, would there be an advantage to use these sealed instead or would the crossover not work well? I am wondering how that peak will interact with the sub crossover

How did you compensate for this peak of the vented enclosure in the crossover design? Just trying to learn here

Thank you!

Brian

Comment

• I don't think your model is correct. What program are you using, Jeff's?
          Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

• Originally posted by violinbf View Post
            Hi Jeff, Awesome project. I really appreciate your designs and your excel spreadsheet is super. I ordered a pair from Erich and I am looking forward to the build

Can you tell me a little more about your design for the quarks? When I model the FE-83 in your 0.04ft enclosure tuned to 101hz I get a get a 10db peak at 103hz and an f3 of 82 hz f10 of 73. Sealed in the same enclosure yields a smooth drop to an F3 of 136 and the same F10 of 73 with no peak at 103hz.

If you were using this with a sub, would there be an advantage to use these sealed instead or would the crossover not work well? I am wondering how that peak will interact with the sub crossover

How did you compensate for this peak of the vented enclosure in the crossover design? Just trying to learn here

Thank you!

Brian
            You might want to double-check your data, there is no peak in the bass response. My actual measurements are shown above.
            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

• My friend and I just finished up a pair of quarks for his desktop. For fun, I measured them in my room. They measured spot on to Jeffs. He told me today that he was watching a movie on his desktop (quarks powered by a lepai2020) and he could not believe the imaging, transparency, and how well they handled the bottom end. We will be building him a powered sub to complete them soon. Well done Jeff!
              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

• Ah yes, I must have entered some of the driver data wrong, Win ISD shows a 2.5 db bump at 190hz with a 0.04 enclosure and a 1x4 inch port. Just finished up the cabinets and I am looking forward to hearing them! They are going with a little Tang Band 5.25 woofer I made. Thanks for your efforts Jeff and Erich

Comment

• The Tang Band I whipped up...Still waiting for the finish to cure before final assembly.

Comment

The Tang Band I whipped up...Still waiting for the finish to cure before final assembly.
                    Wow, that little TB sub is gorgeous! You should post those pics in the "Voxel" thread.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

• Thanks! I posted it on the Voxel thread. I am happy with how it turned out. Still trying to decide if I want to french polish it to a glossy finish.

Comment

Ah yes, I must have entered some of the driver data wrong, Win ISD shows a 2.5 db bump at 190hz with a 0.04 enclosure and a 1x4 inch port. Just finished up the cabinets and I am looking forward to hearing them! They are going with a little Tang Band 5.25 woofer I made. Thanks for your efforts Jeff and Erich
                        I don't have the numbers in front of me to be able to recite them, but keep in mind that in the first post I commented that the drivers I had measured a bit lower in the Fs and the Qts than the manufacturer's data. This probably accounts for the difference in the bass simulations.

Comment

Thanks! I posted it on the Voxel thread. I am happy with how it turned out. Still trying to decide if I want to french polish it to a glossy finish.
                          Your Voxel sub looks fantastic.

Comment

• Thanks Jeff! I finished the Quarks, nice little speaker, very creative use of the buyout fountek. It will serve my computer very well. I wanted to start with something simple and this was a great project to learn on. I am already itching for a very high performance project and am open to any suggestions. This could get addicting...

Comment

• Man, I love how you young guys always post a pic of your speakers with a beer bottle for size comparison.

Next speaker pic I post will have a bottle of Pepto-Bismol next to it... It seems like that's where I'm at these days.

Beautiful work sir! And I like how you oriented the drivers/port on the Voxel as well. I have a 2.1 system in my bedroom consisting of the exact same speaker compliment, but with my own 2.1 plate amp setup. Great combo!

TomZ
                              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

• Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

Next speaker pic I post will have a bottle of Pepto-Bismol next to it... It seems like that's where I'm at these days.

TomZ

That is hilarious! I burst out laughing when I read that!
                                Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Working...
                                X