X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woodsart
    replied
    Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Excellent, it won't be long...have you decided on a finish yet?

I am trying something really different this time around.

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
    I just got the cabinets cut I will still have to cut the terminal port and speaker holes. These boxes seam really easy to make, I can use my calipers to make sure everything is the correct size. 2 sets in less then 2 hours at this point.
    It always gets me excited to dry fit a cabinet and see everything line up correctly. I also made "bobbins" or the last inductors that I need to wrap.

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

I just got the cabinets cut I will still have to cut the terminal port and speaker holes. These boxes seam really easy to make, I can use my calipers to make sure everything is the correct size. 2 sets in less then 2 hours at this point.
    It always gets me excited to dry fit a cabinet and see everything line up correctly. I also made "bobbins" or the last inductors that I need to wrap.

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Hey Jeff,

My Quarks are in the finishing stage. How much stuffing is "your typical handful"?

Robert

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

I was looking at this sight http://www.pronine.ca/multind.htm and was thinking about using a pvc or wood dowel. If the shop wasn't so cold and messy I could also turn a custom spool on my lathe that would work and look sweet.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

It makes sense on a project like this. Keep the cost down and the size small. I Think I will have enough left over wire to build the other two coils making them cost $1.25 each. Not bad.
    If you have a bobbin 1/2" x 1.25" long, it'll be 4 layers to hit 0.1mH, FWIW. If you use a steel rod, much fewer turns.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

It makes sense on a project like this. Keep the cost down and the size small. I Think I will have enough left over wire to build the other two coils making them cost $1.25 each. Not bad.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

I was able to get a set of the tweeters today and I had the woofers already. I unwound 111 turns from the buyout coil to make them 1mh ferrite core. This week I will wrap the .2 coils and I will cut the cabinets. I should have this project done by the middle of next week.
    I am very excited to hear these.
    Unwinding/winding- Admirable!!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

I was able to get a set of the tweeters today and I had the woofers already. I unwound 111 turns from the buyout coil to make them 1mh ferrite core. This week I will wrap the .2 coils and I will cut the cabinets. I should have this project done by the middle of next week.
    I am very excited to hear these.

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

1/2 " Plywood cut, crossover assembled and the cabs glued.... The port tube is not all the way in place and no stuffing, but so far I like this little Quarks! Very nice job Jeff!!

I think when the baffle is glued, I will like them even more. :D

Robert

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Originally posted by woodsart View Post
    Hummm......2 hours of setting everything up and measuring, 1.5 hours of cutting with 2 mistakes I still have the 3" hole to cut out! 24.95 sounds like a bargain!!!!:rolleyes:
    I also felt the need to cut my own ply for this build.
    Only 2 mistakes in 1.5 hours of woodwork is much better than I usually can achieve.
    "Practice makes better" should be a universal law, but sometimes I wonder whether it applies to me.

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied

Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
    This may have been addressed, but any idea how the FE85 would perform when the FE83 is no longer in stock?
    The specs are very similar. A major difference however is the xmax. FE83: 3 mm vs. FE85: 1.5 mm. Consequently The FE85 will only be able to handle 4 W power before reaching xmax (I modeled this in a 0.07 cu ft box), vs 12 W for the FE83 (thermal limit). The FE83 is capable of + 5 dB more output and is able to reach + 7 Hz lower. That FE83 really is a nice unit and a great deal. Better pick some up before they are gone! (only + 1,300 left, PE started out with 6,500).

Leave a comment:

• theLinks
    replied

Post 1. also. :D

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

^^^^post #11^^^^

Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
    This may have been addressed, but any idea how the FE85 would perform when the FE83 is no longer in stock?

Leave a comment:

• dustinbagby
    replied

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Hummm......2 hours of setting everything up and measuring, 1.5 hours of cutting with 2 mistakes I still have the 3" hole to cut out! 24.95 sounds like a bargain!!!!:rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X