Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcarr
    replied
    Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Ah. Learned something today, which is adequate reason unto itself to choose the Quarks. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by jcarr View Post
    Maybe I should have written "reversed" tweeter polarity rather than "inverted", but it's OK. I'll take your word regarding the phase integration.

I have an OmniMic setup and can run the Quarks through it when the speakers are playable.

Thanks!
    The Quarks are not designed to have a reverse null. They don't have that type of crossover. They have a minimum phase crossover instead. That's revealed in the graphs in the first post.

Leave a comment:

• jcarr
    replied

Maybe I should have written "reversed" tweeter polarity rather than "inverted", but it's OK. I'll take your word regarding the phase integration.

I have an OmniMic setup and can run the Quarks through it when the speakers are playable.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Thank you, Jeff. One more question if I may. Do you have a system response curve with inverted tweeter polarity, to show the phase integration between drivers? I am debating whether to build your Quarks or Scott Sehlin's Heliums.

I live across the Pacific, and shipping costs will be high, so I am trying to make a reasonably well-informed decision.

Many thanks in advance! jonathan
    The response graph shown is with inverted tweeter polarity, as shown in the crossover schematic. These drivers sum to minimum phase, but they are not in-phase, you can not have both. The phase relationship in the Quarks is much better than with an in-phase LR4 crossover.

Leave a comment:

• jcarr
    replied

Thank you, Jeff. One more question if I may. Do you have a system response curve with inverted tweeter polarity, to show the phase integration between drivers? I am debating whether to build your Quarks or Scott Sehlin's Heliums.

I live across the Pacific, and shipping costs will be high, so I am trying to make a reasonably well-informed decision.

Many thanks in advance! jonathan

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Jeff, was the back of the front panel (for the mid-woofer) profiled in any way, or did you leave the front panel cutout edge unprofiled, on the assumption that 0.5-inch panels aren't worth the effort?
    Nope, just a hole.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

Probably just drilling the hole bigger with a regular drill (carefully) would give you enough purchase on the core to knock it out with a punch. In fact, I have two of them. I can see the core through the small hole. A very small punch could probably get it, if it isn't bonded in there too tight.

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Originally posted by djg View Post
    Jeff didn't use those buyout coils. There is a comment in the reviews of the coil re: how to do that.
    Thanks, djg, I will check it out.

R

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

Jeff didn't use those buyout coils. There is a comment in the reviews of the coil re: how to do that.

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Well, it looks like I am building 2 tiny hinny speakers with tiny hinny drivers.......The little woofer is hefty more toddler like!!!! :eek::p;)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0351[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1165546Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352[1].jpg
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1165547Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0353[1].jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1165548

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
    For what it's worth, I didn't use a router. I used hole saws with my drill. For example, a 3" hole saw is perfect for the woofer. I used a 1" for the tweeter and port then used a curved file / rasp until I had a nice press fit. Simple tools that worked just fine.

Ahhhh.....just got those "Iddie Biddie" crossovers!!!! LOL!

However, Jeff how does one remove the inner core of the inductor?

Thanks,

Roberet
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jcarr
    replied

Jeff, was the back of the front panel (for the mid-woofer) profiled in any way, or did you leave the front panel cutout edge unprofiled, on the assumption that 0.5-inch panels aren't worth the effort?

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

For what it's worth, I didn't use a router. I used hole saws with my drill. For example, a 3" hole saw is perfect for the woofer. I used a 1" for the tweeter and port then used a curved file / rasp until I had a nice press fit. Simple tools that worked just fine.

Leave a comment:

• jcarr
    replied

I see, Ed. No problem - I thought that I spied a chance to be lazy and jumped at it .

I plan to install the drivers behind the front panel rather than in front, so in any case I'll need to make alternative front panels out of a material that retains its strength even when rebated thin - probably bamboo plywood or Micarta G10 (FR4). jonathan

Leave a comment:

• ejh2854
    replied

Not that I'm aware of, Jonathan- I was just talking about the standard PE boxes, which come with a blank baffle (as you see them knocked-down in Jeff's first picture)... the way the pieces fit neatly together, you could probably build these without clamps in a pinch.

Leave a comment:

• jcarr
    replied

Originally posted by ejh2854 View Post
    Tip o' the hat to Erich as well, for these little boxes! ...the fit-up couldn't be nicer, or more convenient.
    Ed, does your statement mean that it is possible to purchase enclosure 300-7060 with the necessary panel cutouts for the Quark drivers and port ready-made? I was already contemplating building a pair or two; not having to router the cutouts would make the Quarks harder to resist! jonathan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X