No announcement yet.

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB thinks the FE-85 could be substituted. Why not try that?

Comment

• Thanks for replying Chris. I have already bought the woofers and tweeters, so I am looking for peoples knowledge on whether these components could be used in the Quarks build. I do not have the capability to measure these woofers at the present time. I may have to resort to a build and see effort, but I would like to get some comments from some of the builders here before starting to build.

Comment

• Funny, I didn't realize it but I've got a pair of those on the bench (apparently they're Dayton DS90-8s). They'll PROBably work OK as a 3" woofer in that box. Same vent. I'll look at the XO later (today maybe). I wouldn't call them the "Quarks" though, maybe the "Charms". (Hope JB doesn't mind).

Anyone got a schematic or XO description?
        Last edited by Chris Roemer; 08-04-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
          Funny, I didn't realize it but I've got a pair of those on the bench (apparently they're Dayton DS90-8s). They'll PROBably work OK as a 3" woofer in that box. Same vent. I'll look at the XO later (today maybe). I wouldn't call them the "Quarks" though, maybe the "Charms". (Hope JB doesn't mind).

Anyone got a schematic or XO description?
          Here you go

Comment

• Originally posted by Kootskid View Post
            Thanks for replying Chris. I have already bought the woofers and tweeters, so I am looking for peoples knowledge on whether these components could be used in the Quarks build. I do not have the capability to measure these woofers at the present time. I may have to resort to a build and see effort, but I would like to get some comments from some of the builders here before starting to build.
            Possibly build these? http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...0-minute-dsa-s

Comment

• Jeff, Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to contribute to this topic. I like the speakers that mattp built, and will consider them along with the Quarks (Charms). If I remember correctly I bought enough tweeters and woofers to make 3 pairs of speakers. I am wondering if a set of Helium's could be made also with these woofers. I am going to mess around with some box designer software, using the dimensions that other builders have used, to get a feel for what these 3 inchers can do. Please keep as much info as possible coming, as i am a rookie and flying by the seat of my pants. Sure is fun though!!!!.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
                Different beast!
                Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

• You can't call a Quark a Quark if you use different drivers. Same applies to the Heliums or any other design.

I don't want to dampen your spirits, but let's begin with stating the request properly: You have "x" drivers and you would like to receive some help using them in a design. Then let's start a new thread so as not to sidetrack this one.

Since that buyout driver is equivalent to the current DS90, the design would have some longevity:

https://www.parts-express.com/famous...river--299-422

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...8-ohm--295-422

I know of two designs using that mid, which could give you some ideas. There may be more. The PEDS use a Daton ND16FA tweeter, very similar to the ND20FA's you already have:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...roject-Done-*=

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...highlight=peds

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

• After you have started a new thread, listen to what Chris Roemer has to say. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by thekorvers View Post

Different beast!
                      Yep, good catch. I didn't realize they made paper and aluminum cone versions of this model.

Comment

• thekorvers, thanks for the advice. I had a new topic chosen, and had typed a few sentences and went to post. I got some message about not being able to post because I was not confirmed to be human. I tried to restore what I had typed, but it only booted me out of the forum.

If the moderators can delete my posts from this topic, it would be appreciated. I have contacted PE Webmaster to see what the problem is. Once it is solved I will open a new topic.

Sorry about hi-jacking the Quarks thread.

Myles

Comment

• If you look at the Quark XO, here's how I'd mod it to use the DS90-8 woofer (same box, and same vent).
                          The tweeter HP filter changes. Instead of a 2.7uF cap & 0.20mH coil, try a 5uF series cap (Dayton poly) and a 0.30mH shunt (to gnd) coil.
                          Also, for attenuation, take out the series resistor, and try an L-pad instead: 6n (ohm) series resistor, and 4n parallel.
                          Use a (Dayton) #20 coil, and 5w resistors would probably be OK w/a relatively low power system.
                          Positive polarity is indicated, but try the tweeter both ways and go with whatever sounds best to you.

The woofer needs a bit more than just the 1.0mH series coil (due to cone breakup around 8kHz).
                          I'd add a Zobel across the woofer: 10n resistor and 3.3uF cap.
                          Also run a "tiny" 0.22uF cap (027-402) across the 1mH coil. This acts like a notch (tank) filter.
                          You could probably go w/the "buyout" bobbin coil here (269-2124).

Fc around 3kHz, w/not much baffle-step (about +3dB).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kootskid View Post
                            thekorvers, thanks for the advice. I had a new topic chosen, and had typed a few sentences and went to post. I got some message about not being able to post because I was not confirmed to be human. I tried to restore what I had typed, but it only booted me out of the forum.

If the moderators can delete my posts from this topic, it would be appreciated. I have contacted PE Webmaster to see what the problem is. Once it is solved I will open a new topic.

Sorry about hi-jacking the Quarks thread.

Myles
                            Don't worry about your posts in this thread and you didn't really hijack this thread. I know that newbies sometimes have a hard time starting a thread, but are you sure you are human?

I don't consider this forum or PE's website or search engine to be particularly user-friendly, but fortunately they make up for it in customer service. You can't find another place as good to do business with.

Comment

Working...
                            X