Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beautiful job. I like the suede finish.

    I incorporated my Quarks into my Boombox.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • Originally posted by ceiol View Post
      Beautiful job. I like the suede finish. I incorporated my Quarks into my Boombox.
      That's really cool! Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • Truly a great tiny speaker! Design goal met Jeff! I built mine in a .078cf cab in attempt to squeeze a little more low end out. Thanks for a great design Jeff

        Comment


        • First post on TT and another satisfied builder. I have a few weeks on my Quarks and am very impressed. I used the FE85, the clarity, detail, and balance are amazing. I will be adding a small sub to fill in the bottom end once some parts come in. This is the 3rd set of speakers I've built, by far the cheapest, and really stands out as exceeding my expectations! There is something about these that really click with me.

          I measured bass response on the desk with a old radioshack meter have an F3 in the low to mid 90's, falling fast from there. I also have a 4 dB hump from 105-115hz, I am guessing a room/boundary interaction rather than the FE85. Of note, despite the rated xmax of 1.5mm I had the FE85 pushing 5-6mm of travel with no ugly noises or notable distortion. Very tempted to bring my UMIK-1 and take a full sweep.

          Comment


          • Finished the Quark speaker yesterday. It's for my wife to use on her desk at work. She needed something small with good sound quality and Bluetooth. The sound is great for being so small and just right not being boomy to bother anyone nearby. If you see this, thanks for the design and I hope you are doing well Jeff B. I still need to clean up the wiring on the back side, but here are some pics.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
              Finished the Quark speaker yesterday. It's for my wife to use on her desk at work. She needed something small with good sound quality and Bluetooth. The sound is great for being so small and just right not being boomy to bother anyone nearby. If you see this, thanks for the design and I hope you are doing well Jeff B. I still need to clean up the wiring on the back side, but here are some pics.
              That is a nice little boom box build. I’m looking to do something similar for my wife for the kitchen. Do you have plans for the box and crossovers you can post? What amp is that on the top? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • Originally posted by corwin6654 View Post
                That is a nice little boom box build. I’m looking to do something similar for my wife for the kitchen. Do you have plans for the box and crossovers you can post? What amp is that on the top? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Thanks! As for plans, it's just two Quark speakers on their sides and built into one enclosure. The crossover is the same as the original as well. The amp is a Nobsound and can be found on the Zon or the Bay and has built in Bluetooth. It sounds and works well.

                Comment


                • Hello everyone, this is my first speaker build that uses x-over components. Does this layout look correct for the quarks?

                  Comment


                  • I forgot to notate that the positive terminal of the tweeter would get a wire connecting to the same solder joint as the inductors negative side. The forum wouldn't allow me to edit my post for some reason.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by warllo View Post
                      Hello everyone, this is my first speaker build that uses x-over components. Does this layout look correct for the quarks?
                      Looks correct, you have the inductor for the mid as well?

                      Comment


                      • I do, I figured that one was pretty hard to screw up :-) Thanks for the response!

                        Comment


                        • I posted this in another thread but I figured it would belong here as well... The MTM version! The sound is great but I don't have much of a reference having never made the originals. It was a fun build in any case.

                          Comment


                          • Click image for larger version  Name:	Quarks actual vs measured.JPG Views:	1 Size:	215.0 KB ID:	1398969 Has anyone measured their Quarks build? I built mine earlier this year and am now just getting around to taking measurements.

                            I've attached an image comparing my measurements with Jeff's measurements in the first post.

                            Blue = Jeff
                            Red = Mine

                            Comment


                            • I'm building the Quarks using the DIYSoundgroup kit. I was hoping to be able to leave the back removable and with exposed MDF (possibly painted black), and veneer the rest of the speaker. But due to the way the kit is designed, the top panel is smaller, and the back panel is exposed at the top. If I were to assemble the cabinet so that the smaller piece is at the bottom, the port would interfere with the midwoofer. I could replace the back panel and drill a new hole for the port, but I don't have woodworking tools anymore, and would probably not be worth the effort anyway (and the cost of buying MDF just for 2 tiny panels)

                              One possible alternative is to use the quarks "upside down", with the tweeter at the bottom and the midwoofer at the top. I do realize that I will have to "sit them higher" so that the tweeter is at ear level (btw: I use them as a desk speaker, near field). Can anyone think of any downside doing so? I have seen quite a few two ways speakers with the tweeter at the bottom, and aside from noting they should have the tweeter at ear level, no other consideration applies

                              I found some reference to change in phase, depending on the type of crossover used, but I'm afraid it completely flew above my head, and could not follow that explanation

                              And, yes, the other alternative is to build them the way they are supposed to, and not have the back removable, but why make life easy when you can make it hard on yourself?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by robca View Post
                                Can anyone think of any downside doing so? I have seen quite a few two ways speakers with the tweeter at the bottom, and aside from noting they should have the tweeter at ear level, no other consideration applies.
                                From what I have read, the tweeter height is the main thing.
                                The other theoretical issue would be the bounce/reinforcement of the woofer being down by the surface of the desk vs further away with the speaker inverted. But with this small woofer and speaker I doubt if that is going to make any difference, and it's not clear which would be better anyway.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X