The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Will be interesting to see if the FE85 measures as well.
    I like to get out a small foam roller and roll some polyurethane on top of fleckstone. Shellac would probably work well. I have even painted over top of fleckstone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
      Huh? You posted this in the project gallery thread, so you seem to be there.......
      Confusing this sub forum with the PE Project Showcase.

Comment

How do these deal with the reflection boundaries of being placed on a desk? Any measurements done in that kind of environment?

Look great

Comment

Jeff, I'll be getting more of those small enclosures made up very soon. If there's enough demand, I could go ahead and get a bunch with the proper cutouts. Honestly, if you need to make any small dimensional changes, might as well tweak them to your liking and get them cut that way.

Comment

These look great for desktops or small areas. Another winner.
            Last edited by djkest; 03-23-2015, 03:41 PM.
            -Dan
            Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLEME60 View Post
              Bravo. Maybe I missed it. Curious as to what a learned one as yourself uses as a power source, and what is the output from your pc, ie: soundcard.
              Topping TP-21amplifier. Almost any decent small amp will do.
              Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
                These look great! I was wondering what the dimensions are for the mid/tweeter mounting location on the baffle? Thanks for the design Jeff B.
                I should have included a layout . Woofer center is 2 1/4" from the bottom. The tweeter is 5" from the bottom edge.

Comment

Originally posted by devinkato View Post
                  How do these deal with the reflection boundaries of being placed on a desk? Any measurements done in that kind of environment?

Look great
                  I reckon it will be the same as any other computer speaker. I'll measure the response on the desk and through the sound card in a few days.

Comment

Did you prep the mdf in any way? Or just spray directly on the bare cabinet?

Comment

Originally posted by randyohoh View Post
                      Did you prep the mdf in any way? Or just spray directly on the bare cabinet?
                      Good question - actually I sprayed the cabinets with a flat black first to prime the MDF and then sprayed the textured paint on. However, it probably would have worked fine without the primer.

Comment

At this time there are + 1,600 of these Founteks left. They started out with + 6,500, I believe about 6 months ago. They have proven to be quite popular. It would be nice if Erich would sell these as a pre-cut kit, as someone mentioned, before they are all gone.
                        Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by Erich H View Post
                          Jeff, I'll be getting more of those small enclosures made up very soon. If there's enough demand, I could go ahead and get a bunch with the proper cutouts. Honestly, if you need to make any small dimensional changes, might as well tweak them to your liking and get them cut that way.
                          YES! So much yes! Would love a kit.

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
                            I just decided- I am making these. In fact, I think I need to order some extra woofers in case they become NLA...
                            +1 - already done

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I would like to make these also. Currently putting all the items in my shopping cart.
                              For the woofer inductor, would Part # 266-550 work? It is currently out of stock.
                              I noticed it shows a DCR of 0.17 Ohms as opposed to the 0.20 Ohms in the diagram.
                              Thanks for posting your design.

Comment

Originally posted by jtskier View Post
                                I would like to make these also. Currently putting all the items in my shopping cart.
                                For the woofer inductor, would Part # 266-550 work? It is currently out of stock.
                                I noticed it shows a DCR of 0.17 Ohms as opposed to the 0.20 Ohms in the diagram.
                                Thanks for posting your design.
                                there is really no practical difference between those two DCR's. It will work fine. It is physically a little bigger than mine, but if you get it secured to the bottom of the box you will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X