Announcement

Collapse

2nd Annual Stock-toberfest

2nd Annual Stock-toberfest starts October 17th! Time to stock-up on great products at great prices! Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birchmen
    replied
    First post on TT and another satisfied builder. I have a few weeks on my Quarks and am very impressed. I used the FE85, the clarity, detail, and balance are amazing. I will be adding a small sub to fill in the bottom end once some parts come in. This is the 3rd set of speakers I've built, by far the cheapest, and really stands out as exceeding my expectations! There is something about these that really click with me.

I measured bass response on the desk with a old radioshack meter have an F3 in the low to mid 90's, falling fast from there. I also have a 4 dB hump from 105-115hz, I am guessing a room/boundary interaction rather than the FE85. Of note, despite the rated xmax of 1.5mm I had the FE85 pushing 5-6mm of travel with no ugly noises or notable distortion. Very tempted to bring my UMIK-1 and take a full sweep.

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Truly a great tiny speaker! Design goal met Jeff! I built mine in a .078cf cab in attempt to squeeze a little more low end out. Thanks for a great design Jeff

Leave a comment:

• corradizo
    replied
    Originally posted by ceiol View Post
    Beautiful job. I like the suede finish. I incorporated my Quarks into my Boombox.
    That's really cool! Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ceiol
    replied
    Beautiful job. I like the suede finish.

I incorporated my Quarks into my Boombox.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• corradizo
    replied
    Thanks for the great sounding speakers Jeff! Movingui, Walnut stain, minwax tung oil finish and black suede-tex flocked baffle. Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• corradizo
    replied
    Thanks for the great sounding speakers Jeff! Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied
    Originally posted by Kootskid View Post
    thekorvers, thanks for the advice. I had a new topic chosen, and had typed a few sentences and went to post. I got some message about not being able to post because I was not confirmed to be human. I tried to restore what I had typed, but it only booted me out of the forum.

If the moderators can delete my posts from this topic, it would be appreciated. I have contacted PE Webmaster to see what the problem is. Once it is solved I will open a new topic.

Sorry about hi-jacking the Quarks thread.

Myles
    Don't worry about your posts in this thread and you didn't really hijack this thread. I know that newbies sometimes have a hard time starting a thread, but are you sure you are human?

I don't consider this forum or PE's website or search engine to be particularly user-friendly, but fortunately they make up for it in customer service. You can't find another place as good to do business with.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    If you look at the Quark XO, here's how I'd mod it to use the DS90-8 woofer (same box, and same vent).
    The tweeter HP filter changes. Instead of a 2.7uF cap & 0.20mH coil, try a 5uF series cap (Dayton poly) and a 0.30mH shunt (to gnd) coil.
    Also, for attenuation, take out the series resistor, and try an L-pad instead: 6n (ohm) series resistor, and 4n parallel.
    Use a (Dayton) #20 coil, and 5w resistors would probably be OK w/a relatively low power system.
    Positive polarity is indicated, but try the tweeter both ways and go with whatever sounds best to you.

The woofer needs a bit more than just the 1.0mH series coil (due to cone breakup around 8kHz).
    I'd add a Zobel across the woofer: 10n resistor and 3.3uF cap.
    Also run a "tiny" 0.22uF cap (027-402) across the 1mH coil. This acts like a notch (tank) filter.
    You could probably go w/the "buyout" bobbin coil here (269-2124).

Fc around 3kHz, w/not much baffle-step (about +3dB).

Leave a comment:

• Kootskid
    replied
    thekorvers, thanks for the advice. I had a new topic chosen, and had typed a few sentences and went to post. I got some message about not being able to post because I was not confirmed to be human. I tried to restore what I had typed, but it only booted me out of the forum.

If the moderators can delete my posts from this topic, it would be appreciated. I have contacted PE Webmaster to see what the problem is. Once it is solved I will open a new topic.

Sorry about hi-jacking the Quarks thread.

Myles

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Originally posted by thekorvers View Post

Different beast!
    Yep, good catch. I didn't realize they made paper and aluminum cone versions of this model.

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied
    After you have started a new thread, listen to what Chris Roemer has to say. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied
    You can't call a Quark a Quark if you use different drivers. Same applies to the Heliums or any other design.

I don't want to dampen your spirits, but let's begin with stating the request properly: You have "x" drivers and you would like to receive some help using them in a design. Then let's start a new thread so as not to sidetrack this one.

Since that buyout driver is equivalent to the current DS90, the design would have some longevity:

https://www.parts-express.com/famous...river--299-422

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...8-ohm--295-422

I know of two designs using that mid, which could give you some ideas. There may be more. The PEDS use a Daton ND16FA tweeter, very similar to the ND20FA's you already have:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...roject-Done-*=

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...highlight=peds

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
    Different beast!

Leave a comment:

• Kootskid
    replied
    Jeff, Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to contribute to this topic. I like the speakers that mattp built, and will consider them along with the Quarks (Charms). If I remember correctly I bought enough tweeters and woofers to make 3 pairs of speakers. I am wondering if a set of Helium's could be made also with these woofers. I am going to mess around with some box designer software, using the dimensions that other builders have used, to get a feel for what these 3 inchers can do. Please keep as much info as possible coming, as i am a rookie and flying by the seat of my pants. Sure is fun though!!!!.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Originally posted by Kootskid View Post
    Thanks for replying Chris. I have already bought the woofers and tweeters, so I am looking for peoples knowledge on whether these components could be used in the Quarks build. I do not have the capability to measure these woofers at the present time. I may have to resort to a build and see effort, but I would like to get some comments from some of the builders here before starting to build.
    Possibly build these? http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...0-minute-dsa-s

Leave a comment:

Working...
X