Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake
    replied
    Truly a great tiny speaker! Design goal met Jeff! I built mine in a .078cf cab in attempt to squeeze a little more low end out. Thanks for a great design Jeff

Leave a comment:

• corradizo
    replied
    Originally posted by ceiol View Post
    Beautiful job. I like the suede finish. I incorporated my Quarks into my Boombox.
    That's really cool! Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ceiol
    replied
    Beautiful job. I like the suede finish.

I incorporated my Quarks into my Boombox.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• corradizo
    replied
    Thanks for the great sounding speakers Jeff! Movingui, Walnut stain, minwax tung oil finish and black suede-tex flocked baffle. Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• corradizo
    replied
    Thanks for the great sounding speakers Jeff! Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied
    Originally posted by Kootskid View Post
    thekorvers, thanks for the advice. I had a new topic chosen, and had typed a few sentences and went to post. I got some message about not being able to post because I was not confirmed to be human. I tried to restore what I had typed, but it only booted me out of the forum.

If the moderators can delete my posts from this topic, it would be appreciated. I have contacted PE Webmaster to see what the problem is. Once it is solved I will open a new topic.

Sorry about hi-jacking the Quarks thread.

Myles
    Don't worry about your posts in this thread and you didn't really hijack this thread. I know that newbies sometimes have a hard time starting a thread, but are you sure you are human?

I don't consider this forum or PE's website or search engine to be particularly user-friendly, but fortunately they make up for it in customer service. You can't find another place as good to do business with.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    If you look at the Quark XO, here's how I'd mod it to use the DS90-8 woofer (same box, and same vent).
    The tweeter HP filter changes. Instead of a 2.7uF cap & 0.20mH coil, try a 5uF series cap (Dayton poly) and a 0.30mH shunt (to gnd) coil.
    Also, for attenuation, take out the series resistor, and try an L-pad instead: 6n (ohm) series resistor, and 4n parallel.
    Use a (Dayton) #20 coil, and 5w resistors would probably be OK w/a relatively low power system.
    Positive polarity is indicated, but try the tweeter both ways and go with whatever sounds best to you.

The woofer needs a bit more than just the 1.0mH series coil (due to cone breakup around 8kHz).
    I'd add a Zobel across the woofer: 10n resistor and 3.3uF cap.
    Also run a "tiny" 0.22uF cap (027-402) across the 1mH coil. This acts like a notch (tank) filter.
    You could probably go w/the "buyout" bobbin coil here (269-2124).

Fc around 3kHz, w/not much baffle-step (about +3dB).

Leave a comment:

• Kootskid
    replied
    thekorvers, thanks for the advice. I had a new topic chosen, and had typed a few sentences and went to post. I got some message about not being able to post because I was not confirmed to be human. I tried to restore what I had typed, but it only booted me out of the forum.

If the moderators can delete my posts from this topic, it would be appreciated. I have contacted PE Webmaster to see what the problem is. Once it is solved I will open a new topic.

Sorry about hi-jacking the Quarks thread.

Myles

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Originally posted by thekorvers View Post

Different beast!
    Yep, good catch. I didn't realize they made paper and aluminum cone versions of this model.

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied
    After you have started a new thread, listen to what Chris Roemer has to say. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied
    You can't call a Quark a Quark if you use different drivers. Same applies to the Heliums or any other design.

I don't want to dampen your spirits, but let's begin with stating the request properly: You have "x" drivers and you would like to receive some help using them in a design. Then let's start a new thread so as not to sidetrack this one.

Since that buyout driver is equivalent to the current DS90, the design would have some longevity:

https://www.parts-express.com/famous...river--299-422

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...8-ohm--295-422

I know of two designs using that mid, which could give you some ideas. There may be more. The PEDS use a Daton ND16FA tweeter, very similar to the ND20FA's you already have:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...roject-Done-*=

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...highlight=peds

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
    Different beast!

Leave a comment:

• Kootskid
    replied
    Jeff, Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to contribute to this topic. I like the speakers that mattp built, and will consider them along with the Quarks (Charms). If I remember correctly I bought enough tweeters and woofers to make 3 pairs of speakers. I am wondering if a set of Helium's could be made also with these woofers. I am going to mess around with some box designer software, using the dimensions that other builders have used, to get a feel for what these 3 inchers can do. Please keep as much info as possible coming, as i am a rookie and flying by the seat of my pants. Sure is fun though!!!!.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Originally posted by Kootskid View Post
    Thanks for replying Chris. I have already bought the woofers and tweeters, so I am looking for peoples knowledge on whether these components could be used in the Quarks build. I do not have the capability to measure these woofers at the present time. I may have to resort to a build and see effort, but I would like to get some comments from some of the builders here before starting to build.
    Possibly build these? http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...0-minute-dsa-s

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    Funny, I didn't realize it but I've got a pair of those on the bench (apparently they're Dayton DS90-8s). They'll PROBably work OK as a 3" woofer in that box. Same vent. I'll look at the XO later (today maybe). I wouldn't call them the "Quarks" though, maybe the "Charms". (Hope JB doesn't mind).

Anyone got a schematic or XO description?
    Here you go

Leave a comment:

Working...
X