The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

I would appreciate a pic of an assembled crossover when someone gets one completed!

Thanks!
    -Robert

Comment

Originally posted by woodsart View Post
      I would appreciate a pic of an assembled crossover when someone gets one completed!

Thanks!
      I would not recommend building a crossover board per se. I soldered leads onto the inductor and glued it into the corner of the box. For the tweeter's filter I glued the capacitor and resistor on top of the little inductor, soldered it up with leads and glued it into the opposite corner.
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

You make it sound so simple, but I can do that.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
        I would not recommend building a crossover board per se. I soldered leads onto the inductor and glued it into the corner of the box. For the tweeter's filter I glued the capacitor and resistor on top of the little inductor, soldered it up with leads and glued it into the opposite corner.
        -Robert

Comment

Tip o' the hat to Erich as well, for these little boxes! ...the fit-up couldn't be nicer, or more convenient.

Ed Henderson

Comment

Originally posted by ejh2854 View Post
            Tip o' the hat to Erich as well, for these little boxes! ...the fit-up couldn't be nicer, or more convenient.
            Ed, does your statement mean that it is possible to purchase enclosure 300-7060 with the necessary panel cutouts for the Quark drivers and port ready-made? I was already contemplating building a pair or two; not having to router the cutouts would make the Quarks harder to resist! jonathan

Comment

Not that I'm aware of, Jonathan- I was just talking about the standard PE boxes, which come with a blank baffle (as you see them knocked-down in Jeff's first picture)... the way the pieces fit neatly together, you could probably build these without clamps in a pinch.

Ed Henderson

Comment

I see, Ed. No problem - I thought that I spied a chance to be lazy and jumped at it .

I plan to install the drivers behind the front panel rather than in front, so in any case I'll need to make alternative front panels out of a material that retains its strength even when rebated thin - probably bamboo plywood or Micarta G10 (FR4). jonathan

Comment

For what it's worth, I didn't use a router. I used hole saws with my drill. For example, a 3" hole saw is perfect for the woofer. I used a 1" for the tweeter and port then used a curved file / rasp until I had a nice press fit. Simple tools that worked just fine.

Comment

Jeff, was the back of the front panel (for the mid-woofer) profiled in any way, or did you leave the front panel cutout edge unprofiled, on the assumption that 0.5-inch panels aren't worth the effort?

Comment

Well, it looks like I am building 2 tiny hinny speakers with tiny hinny drivers.......The little woofer is hefty more toddler like!!!! :eek::p;)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0351[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1165546Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352[1].jpg
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1165547Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0353[1].jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1165548

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                      For what it's worth, I didn't use a router. I used hole saws with my drill. For example, a 3" hole saw is perfect for the woofer. I used a 1" for the tweeter and port then used a curved file / rasp until I had a nice press fit. Simple tools that worked just fine.

Ahhhh.....just got those "Iddie Biddie" crossovers!!!! LOL!

However, Jeff how does one remove the inner core of the inductor?

Thanks,

Roberet
                      Attached Files
                      -Robert

Comment

Jeff didn't use those buyout coils. There is a comment in the reviews of the coil re: how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                          Jeff didn't use those buyout coils. There is a comment in the reviews of the coil re: how to do that.
                          Thanks, djg, I will check it out.

R
                          -Robert

Comment

Probably just drilling the hole bigger with a regular drill (carefully) would give you enough purchase on the core to knock it out with a punch. In fact, I have two of them. I can see the core through the small hole. A very small punch could probably get it, if it isn't bonded in there too tight.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarr View Post
                              Jeff, was the back of the front panel (for the mid-woofer) profiled in any way, or did you leave the front panel cutout edge unprofiled, on the assumption that 0.5-inch panels aren't worth the effort?
                              Nope, just a hole.

Comment

Thank you, Jeff. One more question if I may. Do you have a system response curve with inverted tweeter polarity, to show the phase integration between drivers? I am debating whether to build your Quarks or Scott Sehlin's Heliums.

I live across the Pacific, and shipping costs will be high, so I am trying to make a reasonably well-informed decision.

Many thanks in advance! jonathan

Comment

Working...
                                X