X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    Funny, I didn't realize it but I've got a pair of those on the bench (apparently they're Dayton DS90-8s). They'll PROBably work OK as a 3" woofer in that box. Same vent. I'll look at the XO later (today maybe). I wouldn't call them the "Quarks" though, maybe the "Charms". (Hope JB doesn't mind).

Anyone got a schematic or XO description?
    Here you go

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    Funny, I didn't realize it but I've got a pair of those on the bench (apparently they're Dayton DS90-8s). They'll PROBably work OK as a 3" woofer in that box. Same vent. I'll look at the XO later (today maybe). I wouldn't call them the "Quarks" though, maybe the "Charms". (Hope JB doesn't mind).

Anyone got a schematic or XO description?
    Last edited by Chris Roemer; 08-04-2017, 08:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kootskid
    replied
    Thanks for replying Chris. I have already bought the woofers and tweeters, so I am looking for peoples knowledge on whether these components could be used in the Quarks build. I do not have the capability to measure these woofers at the present time. I may have to resort to a build and see effort, but I would like to get some comments from some of the builders here before starting to build.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    JB thinks the FE-85 could be substituted. Why not try that?

Leave a comment:

• Kootskid
    replied
    Hi, I am hoping this thread is alive. My first post, my first build (proposed). Since the F83's are not available, I purchased these woofers PE part# 299-422. I have included the T/S parameters for both the Buyout woofer and the F83 as published. Note: I tried to attach a normal word document with docx extension and would not accept. May be I need to read the forum rules for attachments.

I am hoping the woofer can be used as a replacement, with just some minor tuning & crossover work. Your answers and comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you for the help.

Myles

Buy out Product Specifications
    • Nominal Diameter3"
    • Power Handling (RMS)20 Watts
    • Power Handling (max)40 Watts
    • Impedance 8 ohms
    • Frequency Response80 to 13,000 Hz
    • Sensitivity84.1 dB 2.83V/1m
    • Voice Coil Diameter0.8"
    • Magnet Weight8 oz.
    Thiele-Small ParametersMaterials of Construction
    • Cone MaterialCoated Paper
    • Surround MaterialRubber
    • Voice Coil Wire MaterialCopper
    • Voice Coil FormerAluminum
    • Basket / Frame MaterialSteel
    • Magnet MaterialFerrite
    Mounting Information
    • Overall Outside Diameter3.63"
    • Baffle Cutout Diameter2.76"
    • Depth1.76"
    • Bolt Circle Diameter3.27"
    • # Mounting Holes4
    Optimum Cabinet Size (determined using BassBox 6 Pro High Fidelity suggestion)

Fountek 83 Product Specifications
    • Nominal Diameter3"
    • Power Handling (RMS)12 Watts
    • Impedance8 ohms
    • Frequency Response100 to 25,000 Hz
    • Sensitivity85.7 dB 1W/1m
    • Voice Coil Diameter0.78"
    Thiele-Small ParametersMaterials of Construction
    • Cone MaterialAluminum
    • Surround MaterialRubber
    • Voice Coil Wire MaterialCCA
    • Voice Coil FormerAluminum
    • Basket / Frame MaterialSteel
    • Magnet MaterialFerrite
    Mounting Information
    • Overall Outside Diameter3.55"
    • Baffle Cutout Diameter2.75"
    • Depth1.7"
    • Bolt Circle Diameter3.25"
    • # Mounting Holes4
    Optimum Cabinet Size (determined using BassBox 6 Pro High Fidelity suggestion)

Leave a comment:

• bullittstang
    replied
    I think you would be fine, they are close to the same weight as my laptop, that I know is 3-pounds, so they are probably 4-5 pounds.

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied
    To those who have built a Quark, would you be able to weigh one?

I'd like to put a captured nut on the back to mount them on the lightweight Monoprice stands. The stands have a 5lb capacity, so I thought it would be good to ask before going further.

Dual monitors these days leave so little desktop real estate...

Leave a comment:

• mikejennens
    replied
    Jeff or someone else that might know... I looked but couldn't find the info; what is the crossover point for the Quarks?
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Erich H
    replied
    Originally posted by bscalled View Post
    I have a couple questions. Tucked inside the back vents was a length of sticky foam. Was this intended to seal the back? Or make a seal around the bigger driver? Anyone skip using it?
    It's gasket tape for the back side of the woofer.

Leave a comment:

• bscalled
    replied
    Thanks guys, and Jeff F; I thought I'd read that somewhere once but I overlooked it recently; read the first few posts over then skipped to the end. I also appreciated ScenesFromAHat drawing out the crossover, which I used to check mine.

I guess the tape was something I put in the box myself, I don't know. I just discovered a box with an Overnight Sensation kit in it, which I just barely started then forgot all about. I think I was going to build both small speakers, compare them, and give one pair away. Yikes. It's been an eventful few years and that's the excuse I'm sticking with.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Also, is there meant to be any stuffing in the box? If so, a measurable amount, or just a handful?
    See post #8 in this thread. Oh, and your speakers look very nice!

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    I had some nicely beat up white and red oak from pallets I wanted to use, cut offs from a larger project.
    Very nice build. I can't decide between pretty or handsome (or both).

Don't you just love the wood you can reclaim from pallets. In the 90's, I had access to a full wood shop (planar, jointer cabinet saw), and was able to reclaim red oak from several pallets. I made a scale bridge and 36 count trestle set for the kids G-scale trains running around the tree at Christmas time.

Leave a comment:

• bullittstang
    replied
    Very nice bscalled those turned out great, and well worth the time invested. Listening to a pair at my office desk as a type this. FYI, wouldn't have even guessed pallet leftovers if you hadn't said anything.

Leave a comment:

• bscalled
    replied
    I have a couple questions. Tucked inside the back vents was a length of sticky foam. Was this intended to seal the back? Or make a seal around the bigger driver? Anyone skip using it? As I type this they sound pretty good.

Also, is there meant to be any stuffing in the box? If so, a measurable amount, or just a handful?

And, I have a flat-pack left over I don't need. (Assuming I can find it.) Happy to send it off to whoever for the price of shipping it. I don't think that will be very necessary for anyone as I think all the kits come with the packs, don't they?

Leave a comment:

• bscalled
    replied
    Okay seems like years since I started these but I guess given the start date of this discussion the most it could be is a year and a half. I've built maybe a dozen pairs of speakers, more interested in following plans than designing; it's led me into woodworking which is a better fit for for me. Anyway these were meant to be a two birds solution, new desktop speakers, and a way to practice gluing up boards, planing, and cutting dovetails. I had some nicely beat up white and red oak from pallets I wanted to use, cut offs from a larger project. I did most of the work when I got the kit but was disappointed by my many mistakes, so I put them away for a week, which turned into a year and some months. I'll see if I can do some glamour shots.
    Front, back and size Backs; love how easy it was to install the terminals And the fronts

Leave a comment:

Working...
X