Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Originally posted by jcarr View Post
    Thank you, Jeff. One more question if I may. Do you have a system response curve with inverted tweeter polarity, to show the phase integration between drivers? I am debating whether to build your Quarks or Scott Sehlin's Heliums.

I live across the Pacific, and shipping costs will be high, so I am trying to make a reasonably well-informed decision.

Many thanks in advance! jonathan
    The response graph shown is with inverted tweeter polarity, as shown in the crossover schematic. These drivers sum to minimum phase, but they are not in-phase, you can not have both. The phase relationship in the Quarks is much better than with an in-phase LR4 crossover.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Maybe I should have written "reversed" tweeter polarity rather than "inverted", but it's OK. I'll take your word regarding the phase integration.

I have an OmniMic setup and can run the Quarks through it when the speakers are playable.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jcarr View Post
        Maybe I should have written "reversed" tweeter polarity rather than "inverted", but it's OK. I'll take your word regarding the phase integration.

I have an OmniMic setup and can run the Quarks through it when the speakers are playable.

Thanks!
        The Quarks are not designed to have a reverse null. They don't have that type of crossover. They have a minimum phase crossover instead. That's revealed in the graphs in the first post.
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Ah. Learned something today, which is adequate reason unto itself to choose the Quarks. Thank you!

Comment

Hummm......2 hours of setting everything up and measuring, 1.5 hours of cutting with 2 mistakes I still have the 3" hole to cut out! 24.95 sounds like a bargain!!!!:rolleyes:
            -Robert

Comment

This may have been addressed, but any idea how the FE85 would perform when the FE83 is no longer in stock?

Comment

^^^^post #11^^^^

Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
                This may have been addressed, but any idea how the FE85 would perform when the FE83 is no longer in stock?
                -Robert

Comment

Post 1. also. :D

Comment

Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
                    The specs are very similar. A major difference however is the xmax. FE83: 3 mm vs. FE85: 1.5 mm. Consequently The FE85 will only be able to handle 4 W power before reaching xmax (I modeled this in a 0.07 cu ft box), vs 12 W for the FE83 (thermal limit). The FE83 is capable of + 5 dB more output and is able to reach + 7 Hz lower. That FE83 really is a nice unit and a great deal. Better pick some up before they are gone! (only + 1,300 left, PE started out with 6,500).
                    Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by woodsart View Post
                      Hummm......2 hours of setting everything up and measuring, 1.5 hours of cutting with 2 mistakes I still have the 3" hole to cut out! 24.95 sounds like a bargain!!!!:rolleyes:
                      I also felt the need to cut my own ply for this build.
                      Only 2 mistakes in 1.5 hours of woodwork is much better than I usually can achieve.
                      "Practice makes better" should be a universal law, but sometimes I wonder whether it applies to me.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

1/2 " Plywood cut, crossover assembled and the cabs glued.... The port tube is not all the way in place and no stuffing, but so far I like this little Quarks! Very nice job Jeff!!

I think when the baffle is glued, I will like them even more. :D

Robert
                        -Robert

Comment

I was able to get a set of the tweeters today and I had the woofers already. I unwound 111 turns from the buyout coil to make them 1mh ferrite core. This week I will wrap the .2 coils and I will cut the cabinets. I should have this project done by the middle of next week.
                          I am very excited to hear these.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
                            I was able to get a set of the tweeters today and I had the woofers already. I unwound 111 turns from the buyout coil to make them 1mh ferrite core. This week I will wrap the .2 coils and I will cut the cabinets. I should have this project done by the middle of next week.
                            I am very excited to hear these.
                            Unwinding/winding- Admirable!!
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

It makes sense on a project like this. Keep the cost down and the size small. I Think I will have enough left over wire to build the other two coils making them cost $1.25 each. Not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
                                It makes sense on a project like this. Keep the cost down and the size small. I Think I will have enough left over wire to build the other two coils making them cost $1.25 each. Not bad.
                                If you have a bobbin 1/2" x 1.25" long, it'll be 4 layers to hit 0.1mH, FWIW. If you use a steel rod, much fewer turns.
                                Later,
                                Wolf
                                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                                X