Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• violinbf
    replied
    I used a very sharp Stanley #4 bench plane to smooth out the joints after the glue dried. It was much faster than sanding. Careful of the direction, it's easy to blow out MDF. If you en up splitting any edges (as I did) you can just glue them down again using titebond. Fill any remaining gaps with bondo, sand and paint... you should not see any seams after that.

Leave a comment:

• ksneote
    replied
    Looks good! When I assembled mine, I personally found it easier to separate the woofer/tweeter crossovers. I mounted the woofer coil on the bottom of the cabinet, and ran a wire directly from the woofer neg terminal to the binding post. For the tweeter crossover, I soldered and hot glued the components together, and mounted that on the side of the cabinet. I had less wires running about, everything fit together easier, and the crossover was easier to assemble. Only minor annoyance was having to solder two wires to the pos/neg terminal, one for each driver.

If that didn't make much sense, I can post a picture of the crossover.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Originally posted by ScenesFromAHat View Post
    Hi everyone, this is my first build, and last night I glued Erich's awesome flatpacks.

I'm trying to layout the crossover, and I don't want to mess anything up. This is my first time using nodal-analysis, so I'm not sure that I got it right. I uploaded a pic; if any of you can look it over and let me know if I'm right/way off base, that would be much appreciated.

The thick lines are wires, the highlighted circles denote a proposed solder joint.

Also, I noticed that when I clamped the flatpack enclosures, the edges became ever-so-slightly raised/not completely flush. This can obviously be sanded down and I'm sure will be fine, but is there a trick to clamping that I messed up? Or is that just the nature of MDF as it absorbs/sets with the titebond glue?

Thanks to everyone that can look, and thanks to Erich and Jeff for a great entry into speaker building
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1297621[/ATTACH]

Looks good man

Leave a comment:

• ScenesFromAHat
    replied
    Hi everyone, this is my first build, and last night I glued Erich's awesome flatpacks.

I'm trying to layout the crossover, and I don't want to mess anything up. This is my first time using nodal-analysis, so I'm not sure that I got it right. I uploaded a pic; if any of you can look it over and let me know if I'm right/way off base, that would be much appreciated.

The thick lines are wires, the highlighted circles denote a proposed solder joint.

Also, I noticed that when I clamped the flatpack enclosures, the edges became ever-so-slightly raised/not completely flush. This can obviously be sanded down and I'm sure will be fine, but is there a trick to clamping that I messed up? Or is that just the nature of MDF as it absorbs/sets with the titebond glue?

Thanks to everyone that can look, and thanks to Erich and Jeff for a great entry into speaker building
    Click image for larger version

Name:	quarks crossover.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1297621
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied
    Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

Next speaker pic I post will have a bottle of Pepto-Bismol next to it... It seems like that's where I'm at these days.

TomZ

That is hilarious! I burst out laughing when I read that!

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Man, I love how you young guys always post a pic of your speakers with a beer bottle for size comparison.

Next speaker pic I post will have a bottle of Pepto-Bismol next to it... It seems like that's where I'm at these days.

Beautiful work sir! And I like how you oriented the drivers/port on the Voxel as well. I have a 2.1 system in my bedroom consisting of the exact same speaker compliment, but with my own 2.1 plate amp setup. Great combo!

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• violinbf
    replied
    Thanks Jeff! I finished the Quarks, nice little speaker, very creative use of the buyout fountek. It will serve my computer very well. I wanted to start with something simple and this was a great project to learn on. I am already itching for a very high performance project and am open to any suggestions. This could get addicting...

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied
    Originally posted by violinbf View Post
    Thanks! I posted it on the Voxel thread. I am happy with how it turned out. Still trying to decide if I want to french polish it to a glossy finish.
    Your Voxel sub looks fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied
    Ah yes, I must have entered some of the driver data wrong, Win ISD shows a 2.5 db bump at 190hz with a 0.04 enclosure and a 1x4 inch port. Just finished up the cabinets and I am looking forward to hearing them! They are going with a little Tang Band 5.25 woofer I made. Thanks for your efforts Jeff and Erich
    I don't have the numbers in front of me to be able to recite them, but keep in mind that in the first post I commented that the drivers I had measured a bit lower in the Fs and the Qts than the manufacturer's data. This probably accounts for the difference in the bass simulations.

Leave a comment:

• violinbf
    replied
    Thanks! I posted it on the Voxel thread. I am happy with how it turned out. Still trying to decide if I want to french polish it to a glossy finish.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    The Tang Band I whipped up...Still waiting for the finish to cure before final assembly.
    Wow, that little TB sub is gorgeous! You should post those pics in the "Voxel" thread.

Leave a comment:

• violinbf
    replied
    The Tang Band I whipped up...Still waiting for the finish to cure before final assembly.

Leave a comment:

• violinbf
    replied
    Ah yes, I must have entered some of the driver data wrong, Win ISD shows a 2.5 db bump at 190hz with a 0.04 enclosure and a 1x4 inch port. Just finished up the cabinets and I am looking forward to hearing them! They are going with a little Tang Band 5.25 woofer I made. Thanks for your efforts Jeff and Erich

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied
    My friend and I just finished up a pair of quarks for his desktop. For fun, I measured them in my room. They measured spot on to Jeffs. He told me today that he was watching a movie on his desktop (quarks powered by a lepai2020) and he could not believe the imaging, transparency, and how well they handled the bottom end. We will be building him a powered sub to complete them soon. Well done Jeff!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied
    Hi Jeff, Awesome project. I really appreciate your designs and your excel spreadsheet is super. I ordered a pair from Erich and I am looking forward to the build

Can you tell me a little more about your design for the quarks? When I model the FE-83 in your 0.04ft enclosure tuned to 101hz I get a get a 10db peak at 103hz and an f3 of 82 hz f10 of 73. Sealed in the same enclosure yields a smooth drop to an F3 of 136 and the same F10 of 73 with no peak at 103hz.

If you were using this with a sub, would there be an advantage to use these sealed instead or would the crossover not work well? I am wondering how that peak will interact with the sub crossover

How did you compensate for this peak of the vented enclosure in the crossover design? Just trying to learn here

Thank you!

Brian
    You might want to double-check your data, there is no peak in the bass response. My actual measurements are shown above.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X