The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

I was looking at this sight http://www.pronine.ca/multind.htm and was thinking about using a pvc or wood dowel. If the shop wasn't so cold and messy I could also turn a custom spool on my lathe that would work and look sweet.

Comment

Hey Jeff,

My Quarks are in the finishing stage. How much stuffing is "your typical handful"?

Robert
      -Robert

Comment

I just got the cabinets cut I will still have to cut the terminal port and speaker holes. These boxes seam really easy to make, I can use my calipers to make sure everything is the correct size. 2 sets in less then 2 hours at this point.
        It always gets me excited to dry fit a cabinet and see everything line up correctly. I also made "bobbins" or the last inductors that I need to wrap.

Comment

Excellent, it won't be long...have you decided on a finish yet?

I am trying something really different this time around.

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
          I just got the cabinets cut I will still have to cut the terminal port and speaker holes. These boxes seam really easy to make, I can use my calipers to make sure everything is the correct size. 2 sets in less then 2 hours at this point.
          It always gets me excited to dry fit a cabinet and see everything line up correctly. I also made "bobbins" or the last inductors that I need to wrap.
          -Robert

Comment

Hi Jeff, I am thinking of building the quarks but in a sphere using two salad bowls. my volume works out to .4, the same as the flat packs. im not sure yet if will hang them off the ceiling or place them on the desk but either way the tweeter will not be on the same plane as the woofer, i am thinking of placing them as close as possible to the woofer though. how would this affect the crossover? thanks!

Comment

Woodsart, I picked up some hammered spray paint that was on clearance. I have used this before and it holds up great but I think i will be building more then one pair of these. Other wise I will have a lot of leftover mdf scrap.

Comment

Originally posted by rdv View Post
                Hi Jeff, I am thinking of building the quarks but in a sphere using two salad bowls. my volume works out to .4, the same as the flat packs. im not sure yet if will hang them off the ceiling or place them on the desk but either way the tweeter will not be on the same plane as the woofer, i am thinking of placing them as close as possible to the woofer though. how would this affect the crossover? thanks!
                That's difficult to say, it depends on how everything ends up being oriented. You can give it try and see how it works out. By the way, my cabinet is 0.04 cu ft, not .4.
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

The little speakers sound great driven by my receiver and everyone loves them. But I was a little disappointed when I hooked them up to the computer through the Topping amplifier. It may be because I have the Topping plugged into the audio jack on the computer. I may need to run it through a USB DAC and bypass the computer's sound card.

Comment

How would the ND20fb work? I assume that I would also need to flush mount the woofer to keep it on the same plane as the tweeter.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	1165760Oh Gosh, Jeff these things are really special, but hey you know how to design, no doubt. Got the finish completed last night or this morning at 1:30....had trouble with the ports then I realized I was shoving them in the tweets holes...what a sleepy head. Anyway I started listening and couldn't stop....just couldn't, but finally fatigue fueled eye closure! Gail and I were gone for the day, but I fired them up awhile ago and I am so amazed, so I will include a pic, but I will start pic thread here!
                      -Robert

Comment

Is that all a painted finish? they look amazing! I bet the wife likes those. Cant wait to see more pictures. I just got all the holes drilled now I just need to search through the supplies and see what terminals I am going to use, then I will be ready to assemble. It will have to wait until Sunday at the earliest.
                        These speakers are fun to build in that everything can be done with calipers in hand; not something you usually get to do in the wood shop but it does seem to make the build go faster.

Comment

Name:	IMG_2580.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	1165763Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2581.JPG
Size:	472.2 KB
ID:	1165764Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2584.JPG
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	1165765

Name:	IMG_2582.JPG
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	1165766
                          This shows how small they it has a pencil/quarter for scale. You can also see how I did the joint work on the cabinet.

Comment

Yep, a fast faux finish. My wife actually said those are cute, she actually like them.

Yours seem to be moving along as well. You will like the sound of these.

Robert

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
                            Is that all a painted finish? they look amazing! I bet the wife likes those. Cant wait to see more pictures. I just got all the holes drilled now I just need to search through the supplies and see what terminals I am going to use, then I will be ready to assemble. It will have to wait until Sunday at the earliest.
                            These speakers are fun to build in that everything can be done with calipers in hand; not something you usually get to do in the wood shop but it does seem to make the build go faster.
                            -Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                              That's difficult to say, it depends on how everything ends up being oriented. You can give it try and see how it works out. By the way, my cabinet is 0.04 cu ft, not .4.
                              oh yea sorry I meant .04. I wanted to mount the tweeter as close as possible to the fountek so if they were hanging from the ceiling both drivers can be 'seen' by the listener. likewise if they were on a desk the fountek would probably be on axis to the listener and the dayton would be facing up a bit, if that makes sense.

i was going to try it out anyway and play around with tweeter placement before cutting. I wasnt sure if I would need to cut the tweeter off lower or higher

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rdv View Post
                                oh yea sorry I meant .04. I wanted to mount the tweeter as close as possible to the fountek so if they were hanging from the ceiling both drivers can be 'seen' by the listener. likewise if they were on a desk the fountek would probably be on axis to the listener and the dayton would be facing up a bit, if that makes sense.

i was going to try it out anyway and play around with tweeter placement before cutting. I wasnt sure if I would need to cut the tweeter off lower or higher

thanks
                                Since it sounds like you're going to be in the acoustic far-field I don't think you'll need to change anything. The original crossover should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X