Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

    So I managed to mount the founteks to the sphere. Ported using the PE 1x4. Without the crossover they already sounded clear and full. When I added the xover and tweeter is when they really opened up! I am amazed at how this setup sounds. I couldnt stop listening to them! I would describe the sound as detailed and engaging.

    The best sound I got from them was with both tweeter and woofer on the same plane so ill need fab some mounting for the tweeters. Thanks Jeff for a great design!

    Comment


    • #77
      Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

      Hi
      I might be asking something stupid, but can it be mounted in a Tabaq enclosure with that crossover!?

      I have the boxes from other project, also the tweeters and some crossover parts...

      Comment


      • #78
        Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

        Originally posted by danzz View Post
        Hi
        I might be asking something stupid, but can it be mounted in a Tabaq enclosure with that crossover!?

        I have the boxes from other project, also the tweeters and some crossover parts...
        I have no idea what a Tabaq is.
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

        Comment


        • #79
          Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

          Being a noob I really appreciate the detail of the cross over schematic with the speaker polarity and input polarity clearly marked and the reverse polarity of the tweeter being noted. Dept. of redundancy dept. is ok, all doubt removed. I think a tabaq is a quarter wave tuned cabinet designed for tang band 3" full range drivers,.

          Comment


          • #80
            Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

            Tabaq is a TL design for tang band drivers, you can find it here, or in the diyaudio.com thread here l... Thanks in advanced

            Comment


            • #81
              Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

              I don't think that the crossover would need to change as long as the width of the box and tweeter spacing was unchanged.
              That being said I don't think I would worry about changing anything. I have a set playing right now and they sound great! The bass is plenty for desk top listening. In a ported enclosure they will integrate better with a subwoofer then a tabaq. Another nice thing is when they cant play a certain bass track they just quit rather then fail.
              I used this for my test listening:http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/even...meniscus-2014/

              Comment


              • #82
                Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                Hey Ken,

                You are right, bass is good for desktop....and they just quit when a song goes too low.

                Right at the moment I have a wall of sound with the Karios and Quarks playing together...quite complimentary!!! LOL!

                Love this little Mini TDA1543 DAC...creates cohesive sound wavesClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1165940.

                Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
                I don't think that the crossover would need to change as long as the width of the box and tweeter spacing was unchanged.
                That being said I don't think I would worry about changing anything. I have a set playing right now and they sound great! The bass is plenty for desk top listening. In a ported enclosure they will integrate better with a subwoofer then a tabaq. Another nice thing is when they cant play a certain bass track they just quit rather then fail.
                I used this for my test listening:http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/even...meniscus-2014/
                -Robert

                Comment


                • #83
                  Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                  Congrats Jeff on another super successful design!
                  Projects:

                  Breezy Monitors: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reezy-monitors
                  transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
                  Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
                  References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
                  Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                    Originally posted by woodsart View Post
                    Hey Ken,

                    You are right, bass is good for desktop....and they just quit when a song goes too low.

                    Right at the moment I have a wall of sound with the Karios and Quarks playing together...quite complimentary!!! LOL!

                    Love this little Mini TDA1543 DAC...creates cohesive sound waves[ATTACH=CONFIG]56531[/ATTACH].
                    Man, every time I see Marantz equipment I get the urge to go buy a nice used piece somewhere.
                    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                      Originally posted by dynamo View Post
                      Congrats Jeff on another super successful design!
                      Well, I don't know if it's super successful or not, but thanks.
                      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                        Hey Jeff, I love....love my 3 marantzes. The Vintage out sings the other two. The 2238B, 2250B or anything like that are great. I paid 200.00 for my 2238B and it had been recapped!

                        Believe me when I say your speaker designs sing well with Vintage Marantz!!!:eek:

                        Ask Bryan (with the Vintage Marantz Avatar). He is the one who sold me.

                        Blessings,

                        Robert

                        Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                        Man, every time I see Marantz equipment I get the urge to go buy a nice used piece somewhere.
                        -Robert

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                          I'm in on the Quark Club! The glue is drying as I sit here and type this. The baffles are cut and drilled. I rebated the woofer and the tweeter. That shouldn't degrade anything should it?
                          I'm going to use these for music for a while with a Voxel sub, but they'll probably end up as the fronts for my HT.
                          Thanks Jeff for sharing your knowledge!
                          Mike
                          "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                          Bismarck, North Dakota
                          My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
                          My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                            Jeff, I do think that you have a great design here. for desk top rockers they do a wonderful job in a small package. I was even thinking about remixing a MTM version for a high WAF set of tv speakers. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                              Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                              Well, I don't know if it's super successful or not, but thanks.
                              Definitely is getting quite the following though!
                              Projects:

                              Breezy Monitors: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reezy-monitors
                              transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
                              Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
                              References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
                              Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

                                I am QUARKED! Here are a few pics. My listening area and my Quarks setting on my Continuum TLs (a little bit of a size comparison...), a simple pic, a size comparison next to a half-gallon milk carton.
                                I have a Voxel sub running with these; GREAT combo.
                                And, like another post-er; I'm running these on a Marantz integrated. It's not vintage, but it's great- PM8003.
                                Just as the Continuums are awesome speakers and Jeff designed a winner, he has done it again, especially for the budget minded, with the Quark. BIG shout out to Jeff. Thanks for sharing your expertise!
                                Mike
                                Attached Files
                                "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                                Bismarck, North Dakota
                                My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
                                My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X