Announcement

Collapse

2nd Annual Stock-toberfest

2nd Annual Stock-toberfest starts October 17th! Time to stock-up on great products at great prices! Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf
    replied
    Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Those look pretty slick!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

@djg -

Awesome little build. Beautiful veneer work.
    Any special concerns with cutting 45 degree miters on the veneer?

Don

Leave a comment:

• NickJ
    replied

Quarktinuums...haha. Awesome build.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by djg View Post
    I should have fixed the leak under the sink, but instead I worked on these. The Quarktinuums, unless Jeff B. objects. My last project was kind of a "plop in the box" thing, I thought I would try something a little harder. They turned out pretty nice, if I do say so myself. Several tasks new to me worked first time.

It's all fake, PSA veneer over particle board, with a solid maple baffle. I haven't finished them except for the baffles and back panel. I have little screws to put in the baffles to mimic the real Continuum.
    i love the look!

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

I should have fixed the leak under the sink, but instead I worked on these. The Quarktinuums, unless Jeff B. objects. My last project was kind of a "plop in the box" thing, I thought I would try something a little harder. They turned out pretty nice, if I do say so myself. Several tasks new to me worked first time.

It's all fake, PSA veneer over particle board, with a solid maple baffle. I haven't finished them except for the baffles and back panel. I have little screws to put in the baffles to mimic the real Continuum.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

The back panels, maple veneer over particle board. 50 hr. work weeks leading to slow progress.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

The Quarks take shape. Usually I hot glue my crossovers. This time, I used epoxy. The big coil was screwed to a piece of underlayment ply, then epoxied to the cab bottom. The other 3 components were epoxied to the cab side.

I recently shipped a pair of speakers and one of the big laminate core coils came loose from its hot glue. Hopefully this will be more secure.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Just sitting here listening to the Quarks....Wow....what an amazing little speaker? Thanks again, Jeff..hope you are feeling better this morning.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
    There is no need to look for markings. The smaller terminal is 99% of the time the negative terminal.
    I've seen Vifa and Audax drivers in the past that were reversed. JBL uses reversed locations for terminals on most of their stuff as I've been told.
    Fountek ribbons had the incorrect markings on them for polarity at one time or another.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Originally posted by donradick View Post
    It's pretty hard to see, but the white terminal strip has a stamped "+" by the "fat" terminal:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]58472[/ATTACH]
    There is no need to look for markings. The smaller terminal is 99% of the time the negative terminal.

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Originally posted by djg View Post
    My particle board and solid wood baffle Quarks were started yesterday. Hopefully Jeff B. will get a chuckle out of these.
    They look pretty good to me....it's all about the sound anyway.

Just finished the three kits ordered from Eric for theater...will post pics later. They sound amazing. I am just wowed all over again.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

My particle board and solid wood baffle Quarks were started yesterday. Hopefully Jeff B. will get a chuckle out of these.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ksneote
    replied

Finished my Quarks! They are excellent. I'm terrible at describing sound well, but they are extremely good. For the finish, I used an interesting spray paint, it is a flat, metallic "soft iron" color. Essentially a dark gray flat paint, with many extremely small metallic flecks. Only really is visible when the sunlight hits it, quite like the contrast between the paint, black drivers and the aluminium cone! Doesn't photograph too well, but I tried.

Edit: I can't seem to upload a picture. Keeps on saying it failed. Not sure whyl
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ORIF
    replied

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Originally posted by ORIF View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am working on building a set of these for my daughter and have a question about the crossover.

The leads on the woofer are not labeled "positive" or "negative".
    However, one of the leads is a narrow pin, and one of the leads is a wide one.

Is there a convention in regards to this?

Thanks for the help,

Mark

It's pretty hard to see, but the white terminal strip has a stamped "+" by the "fat" terminal:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	quark-woofer-closeup-IMG_0081.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1167218

Leave a comment:

Working...
X