Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

They look great Mike...good job!!!

I have compared the PM 8003 with my Vintage..... while it sounds great with all my speakers, I prefer the 2238B Marantz....such amazing amps regardless.

The Quarks, Tritons or the Karios all sound great with a Marantz receivers.

I am anxiously waiting to hear comments regarding Jeff's new Corian Continuums this weekend at InDIYana. I plan to build them one way or another, but I first have to add the Bass Modules to the Karios.

Wonder how the Voxel would sound with the Continuums? I think it would be too small.

Ha, I also wonder how a Continuum TL would be in Corian!!! LOL :eek:

Robert

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
    I am QUARKED! Here are a few pics. My listening area and my Quarks setting on my Continuum TLs (a little bit of a size comparison...), a simple pic, a size comparison next to a half-gallon milk carton.
    I have a Voxel sub running with these; GREAT combo.
    And, like another post-er; I'm running these on a Marantz integrated. It's not vintage, but it's great- PM8003.
    Just as the Continuums are awesome speakers and Jeff designed a winner, he has done it again, especially for the budget minded, with the Quark. BIG shout out to Jeff. Thanks for sharing your expertise!
    Mike
    -Robert

Comment

Originally posted by woodsart View Post

Wonder how the Voxel would sound with the Continuums? I think it would be too small.

Robert
      Thanks Robert.
      The Voxel is not too small by any means. In my listening room, which is roughly 16 X 16, it fills out the bottom end when listening to my Continuum TLs very nicely. The Voxel is small, but it sounds larger than it is.
      I have a 2235 and a 2238. I stick with my 8003 because it has more "headroom" being about twice the watts RMS. I need to clean the pots on the 2238, but it is my garage piece for now. Very nice receiver.
      Mike
      "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
      Bismarck, North Dakota
      My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
      My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Ok, thanks Mike!

Maybe I am liking the 2238 better cause it has new upgrades, caps, etc. Though I really haven't done a good comparison, I guess I could change my mind. :rolleyes:

Still enjoy the sound of the PM8003 with the Quarks and the Karios!

I can just imagine how the Continuum TLs sound as I really, really like my Triton TLs!!

Robert

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
        Thanks Robert.
        The Voxel is not too small by any means. In my listening room, which is roughly 16 X 16, it fills out the bottom end when listening to my Continuum TLs very nicely. The Voxel is small, but it sounds larger than it is.
        I have a 2235 and a 2238. I stick with my 8003 because it has more "headroom" being about twice the watts RMS. I need to clean the pots on the 2238, but it is my garage piece for now. Very nice receiver.
        Mike
        -Robert

Comment

I've been playing my first pair for about a week on mostly TV duty, and they sound great!

I guess the best thing I can say is that they are perfectly voiced top to bottom, very good detail,
          and they can really fill up a room.
          Imaging and phantom center seem especially good. Pics soon.

Q: Is any one working on a MTM version? If not, I'm seriously considering the project.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I have all the parts for a MTM and would love to be in the shop cutting parts but I have no time... My goal is 3 mtm's for the fronts and the tm for surround. I don't really have room for a HT setup but for the price it is hard to go wrong. They really are nice speakers.

Comment

I built 2 pairs at nearly the same time - a buddy commissioned a set, and my wife really needed a nice set of desktop speakers.

He was planning on rattle-can spray of some sort, but when he saw the raw boxes with some sealcoat, he decided on a clear finish.
              I was planning on veneering my wife's pair. The closer I got to finishing his pair, the more I liked the BB grain and patterns.
              All the time I was finishing his pair, I kept hearing a voice say "amber or honey".... so that's what I did - bought some
              amber shellac for that tint, and it was darn perfect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010587-crop-smaller.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1166177

Name:	P1010586-crop-smaller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1166178

I figured that since the boxes were so small, I'd better plan ahead!
              Managed to squeeze the crossover down (unwound a bunch from the $1 ferrite core coils), and hot glued it in.

Name:	P1010584crossover-crop-smaller.jpg
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	1166179
              Used crimp on terminals for the drivers and terminals.

Name:	P1010580-boxes-crop-smaller-terminals.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1166180

Many thanks again to Jeff for an amazing little design!

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                I built 2 pairs at nearly the same time - a buddy commissioned a set, and my wife really needed a nice set of desktop speakers.

He was planning on rattle-can spray of some sort, but when he saw the raw boxes with some sealcoat, he decided on a clear finish.
                I was planning on veneering my wife's pair. The closer I got to finishing his pair, the more I liked the BB grain and patterns.
                All the time I was finishing his pair, I kept hearing a voice say "amber or honey".... so that's what I did - bought some
                amber shellac for that tint, and it was darn perfect.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56858[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]56859[/ATTACH]

I figured that since the boxes were so small, I'd better plan ahead!
                Managed to squeeze the crossover down (unwound a bunch from the $1 ferrite core coils), and hot glued it in.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]56860[/ATTACH]
                Used crimp on terminals for the drivers and terminals.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]56861[/ATTACH]

Many thanks again to Jeff for an amazing little design!
                Don, your speakers look real nice...
                and I REALLY like how you handled the crossover. What a compact space-saver, cool.
                I'm going to be working on a couple pair of my own soon,

There's under 650 of the woofers left, get to it people!

TomZ
                *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                  Don, your speakers look real nice...
                  and I REALLY like how you handled the crossover. What a compact space-saver, cool.
                  I'm going to be working on a couple pair of my own soon,

There's under 650 of the woofers left, get to it people!

TomZ
                  thanks Tom.
                  These little fellas sound REALLY GOOD - people are going to kick themselves when the 83s sell out and
                  they have to pay extra for the 85s.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Building two pair as well, and just put the juice to set #1 a few hours ago... delighted!

Ed Henderson

Comment

• Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Yes, And I don't know if the 85 will offer the same level of performance in the bass.....
                      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Jeff - these look awesome, I'll need to grab a pair or two of woofers to try these out. Thanks for sharing the design.

For anyone else looking to build these with flush-mounted tweeters, you can do this easily with cheap hole saws. The four-pack for about $12 sold pretty much everywhere has the right ones for the nd20fa. Just make the larger hole first, about the depth of the flange. The diameter is the one just a hair smaller than the tweeter. ( the hole saw teeth protrude and will make up the difference). Then go through the same pilot hole with the one that fits over the tweeter body. Use a knife, screwdriver, or dremel to knock out the little ridge left over, and voila.
                        TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

New to the world of speaker building and figured this would be a good project given that I am in dire need of some speakers for my office. Speakers in the MacBook Pro just don't cut it!

Crossover question - I see two options offered by PE that meet the 1.0mH spec - 266-550 and 255-100. Which one is best fit for this project? I know size is an issue but the physical dimensions on the 266-550 are not listed so hard to compare on that basis.

Recommended part numbers for the tweeter resistor and capacitor? I think I have the right ones dialed in, but recommendations to confirm or adjust would be appreciated!

Sorry for the newbie questions. I checked out the sticky in the TT forum and unfortunately the crossover links are getting a lot of 404's. Crossover construction is my one big learning spot in this. If you have links to resources I'd be happy to educate myself more!

Comment

Either will work, the 255-100 only real difference is the size. So up to you. Plans call for the 266-550, and I think everyone has used that one, unless they found a cheaper option (buy-out coil, they could unwind). From memory, I think 266-550 is about 3" long and about 1-1/4" wide and tall. Working with this small of a box is a challenge all in itself, but Jeff did a great job limiting the part count and still resulted in a great sounding speaker.

If you have questions, just post them. You will get all the help you need.
                            Paul

The "SB's" build page
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

unwinding 111 turns on this coil got me right on http://www.parts-express.com/ferrite...-watt--269-303.
                              I had the same results on 3 so far. I have the luck of having a very high end lrc at work that I used to measure my coils.
                              edit: this is for the 1mh iron core. I was also lucky enough to wrap the take off into the other air core. so total inductors only cost me $5 for pair of speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Staton View Post
                                I see two options offered by PE that meet the 1.0mH spec - 266-550 and 255-100. Which one is best fit for this project? I know size is an issue but the physical dimensions on the 266-550 are not listed so hard to compare on that basis.
                                Ed Henderson

Comment

Working...
                                X