Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORIF
    replied
    Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Hi everyone,

I am working on building a set of these for my daughter and have a question about the crossover.

The leads on the woofer are not labeled "positive" or "negative".
    However, one of the leads is a narrow pin, and one of the leads is a wide one.

Is there a convention in regards to this?

Thanks for the help,

Mark

Leave a comment:

• rdv
    replied

Thanks! I do love to listen to them too. The gift pair has gone to their new owner but I kept the round ones, I spent a lot of time on them and like them too much. My daughter is asking for a pair too and I have one pair of the founteks left. Just need to get the tweeters and flat pack

Leave a comment:

• bullittstang
    replied

Very creative with the salad bowls. They both look very good. Your niece will be very happy, I love my two pairs I built. So much, the "present" pair, has yet to be given to the person, like listening to them too much.

Leave a comment:

• rdv
    replied

I thought I'd post some pics of my almost finished builds. Sorry, crappy cellphone pics. One was built out of salad bowls I found in Goodwill and the other I built for my niece using the PE flat packs
    Click image for larger version

Name:	salad.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	1167177 Click image for larger version

Name:	flat packs 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	914.8 KB
ID:	1167178

Leave a comment:

• ksneote
    replied

I twisted all leads together, to test the crossover, and roughly assembled the speaker (front baffle or speakers aren't screwed in, just held it together). Wow, they sound really good. Vocals are extremely clear and detailed. Bass is a bit lacking, but more present than I thought. Really excited to finish making these! Already contemplating a small subwoofer as well...

Leave a comment:

• bullittstang
    replied

Originally posted by philthien View Post
    The graph shows the tweeter rolling-off above 16 or 17k, down about 5db at 20k. Not that I could hear that (I know I couldn't), but is that an aspect of this particular tweeter, or interaction with the baffle, or something else?

Not criticizing, thinking about building a pair of these. Just curious.
    I think it's the baffle, here is my Quarks XL (baffle 1/2" wider (5-1/2") and taller (7")) and it drops less. but the next graph is the same tweeter on a 7.5" wide baffle centered and it drops as much or more than Jeff's graph showed. I also think you have to take the XO into consideration as well. Jeff B. is a master of efficiency with his XO's, where I am strictly a noobie, some may say that these two graphs do not have much in common, nor do they answer your question, but I think it may help you a little, but only my opinion.

Name:	FR QuarksXL 30inch_148_CTA.jpg
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1167059

Name:	ND20 graph.jpg
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1167060

Leave a comment:

• philthien
    replied

The graph shows the tweeter rolling-off above 16 or 17k, down about 5db at 20k. Not that I could hear that (I know I couldn't), but is that an aspect of this particular tweeter, or interaction with the baffle, or something else?

Not criticizing, thinking about building a pair of these. Just curious.

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Originally posted by bullittstang View Post
    Any interest????? If so, I'll post pics and some graphs.

I built my 2nd pair of these, but in a 0.08/ft3 (or double the size) box. XO, Driver spacing and port all stayed the same, which tunes them to 80-Hz, down from 100-Hz. I had some scrap 1/2" MDF and thought I would try and coax a little more bass from them. To minimize the sound/imaging impact, I only changed the baffle by 1/2" wider and 1/2" taller, then went 1" deeper (so they are 7"H x 5-1/2"W x 6" D).

They are truly deceptive, with a 80-Hz XO to a sealed sub in my office, they really sound exceptional, with nothing missing and a fantastic sound-stage. I haven't listened to them on a desk top, but the original has good bass on a desk, I would assume these would be a significant step up.

Not to steal anything from Jeff of course, so I've been calling them "QuarksXL". No finish yet, so just bare MDF.

HAHAHA....Cute!!!

Leave a comment:

• bullittstang
    replied

Any interest????? If so, I'll post pics and some graphs.

I built my 2nd pair of these, but in a 0.08/ft3 (or double the size) box. XO, Driver spacing and port all stayed the same, which tunes them to 80-Hz, down from 100-Hz. I had some scrap 1/2" MDF and thought I would try and coax a little more bass from them. To minimize the sound/imaging impact, I only changed the baffle by 1/2" wider and 1/2" taller, then went 1" deeper (so they are 7"H x 5-1/2"W x 6" D).

They are truly deceptive, with a 80-Hz XO to a sealed sub in my office, they really sound exceptional, with nothing missing and a fantastic sound-stage. I haven't listened to them on a desk top, but the original has good bass on a desk, I would assume these would be a significant step up.

Not to steal anything from Jeff of course, so I've been calling them "QuarksXL". No finish yet, so just bare MDF.

Leave a comment:

• bullittstang
    replied

Looks good, I do the same type of "mental" check on my XO's before I solder anything.

Leave a comment:

• ksneote
    replied

I am building The Quarks thanks to Erich's flatpacks! This is only my second build of speakers, so I have two questions if anybody could kindly help.

First is just a crossover check, attached in a picture. Hopefully my layout makes sense? Any cross of a pen line and a crossover component means they will be connected.

Secondly, the gasket for the woofers, do I attach those to the back of the woofer, or onto the front baffle?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    Thanks Soundslike, if I was a baseball player I'd be batting .750... that's pretty good for baseball, not so much for baffle construction though. Thankfully MDF is cheap.
    I like the paint work on your set. I use veneer, the easy way out!

You tweaked the crossover a bit? or just used what you had on hand. I see your air core is a .50 mh instead of the .20 mh spec'd by Jeff, unless I missed something in the 6 previous pages of posts.

Also, I saw that the DIY soundgroup boxes had flush mounted the drivers, I didn't flush mount mine.

TomZ

I'll have to open mine up and check the air core. There may be some unwinding in my future. Maybe it's a good thing that for once I left the tag on. Thanks for pointing that out...

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied

Originally posted by Soundslike View Post
    Very nice work Tom.
    Thanks Soundslike, if I was a baseball player I'd be batting .750... that's pretty good for baseball, not so much for baffle construction though. Thankfully MDF is cheap.
    I like the paint work on your set. I use veneer, the easy way out!

You tweaked the crossover a bit? or just used what you had on hand. I see your air core is a .50 mh instead of the .20 mh spec'd by Jeff, unless I missed something in the 6 previous pages of posts.

Also, I saw that the DIY soundgroup boxes had flush mounted the drivers, I didn't flush mount mine.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by donradick View Post
    The Quark kit from DiySoundGroup is now available!

diysoundgroup.com quark kit
    That's pretty cool. I really didn't know that. Maybe I should order a pair ;-)

Leave a comment:

• ejh2854
    replied

Cool that they have the rebates to flush-mount the drivers.

Erich does nice work!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X