The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

If anybody needs specific part numbers, this is a cart for 2 pairs with the buyout ferrite core coil.
    IME, unwinding it is pretty easy, it's much smaller than the (massive) iron core coil, and very easy to hot glue inside the cab

Hope this helps!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PE-Cart-2-pairs-quarks.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1166231

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

FWIW I needed a compact and (hopefully) goof-proof amp to drive the set I made for the missus, so I picked up a 2020A+ from our friends at PE:

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-l...upply--310-300

My first experience with these little Lepai amps, and I'm impressed; drives the Quarks with plenty of n*ts for playing very loudly, and sounds great... a no-brainer for $27!

Ed Henderson

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
        Hope this helps!
        Very helpful in making sure I got the correct resistor and capacitor. Thanks! Ordered a set and am looking forward to opening pandoras box!

Comment

Originally posted by ejh2854 View Post
          My first experience with these little Lepai amps, and I'm impressed; drives the Quarks with plenty of n*ts for playing very loudly, and sounds great... a no-brainer for $27!
          Good to hear. Same thing on this end and hit "buy" before read this. Nice to know it's going to be a good fit!

Comment

I can confirm that they are now out of woofers. I got the last two shipped to my house today. kind of sad considering how good of a deal it was but I doubt many people will really need all the x-max that this model offered over its twin.
            I really hope to see many other builds as I really enjoy mine.

Comment

Hi Ken, I am enjoying mine as well.

There is some vibration on the sides of mine. Is this normal?

Those little woofers really move.

Robert

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
              I can confirm that they are now out of woofers. I got the last two shipped to my house today. kind of sad considering how good of a deal it was but I doubt many people will really need all the x-max that this model offered over its twin.
              -Robert

Comment

Kind of hard to believe, taking into consideration that they started out with more than 6,500, not too long ago. I am glad I bought mine a while ago: enough to do an array and some extra's for Quarks and such.:D
                Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Just checked. There are still 4 available.
                  Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Woodsart,I don't have any vibration I would check for a component vibrating or a loose woofer.

Comment

That is amazing. Who bought so many that quickly? Sorry guys. Now we need someone to drop in an FE85 and see if it truly is a "drop-in"
                      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I made up some flat packs for future kits and when I saw the number getting low I hurried up and bought enough for the flat packs.

Comment

Originally posted by Erich H View Post
                          I made up some flat packs for future kits and when I saw the number getting low I hurried up and bought enough for the flat packs.
                          Oh. ... Well, that will be Ok then . :applause:

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                            Who bought so many that quickly?
                            I might have bought a couple pairs' worth
                            Ed Henderson

Comment

Thanks Ken, the inductor and resistor had come loose in on of the Quarks. I used typical hot glue...obviously it was not strong enough to hold. So I re-glued with silicon.

We'll see if that corrects the vibration.

Thanks,

Robert
                              -Robert

Comment

A pic of my Quarks at the InDIYana gathering in Fort Wayne.

Comment

Working...
                                X