Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• donradick
    replied
    Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

The Quark kit from DiySoundGroup is now available!

diysoundgroup.com quark kit

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

Highly recommend this design. Thanks Jeff...

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

Very nice work Tom.

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
    Are you comfortable attaching the crossover with double-backed tape? That doesn't sound very secure.
    It's actually fairly secure, but to be honest, I'd rather use something more secure like hot glue. But it just looked too difficult to get the components into place with any accuracy if I applied the glue first. Here's how I constructed the crossover.
    They are installed vertically, on one side of the enclosures, with the ends of both components resting on the bottom. The next photo shows the backside of the board.

And this photo shows how I installed them inside the enclosure.

And here's what the little guys look like.

Finally, a cautionary tale. Make sure your thumbs don't slip off when you're pressing the driver into the tight-fitting recess.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Soundslike; 05-15-2015, 10:59 PM. Reason: Added photos

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by Soundslike View Post
    I just finished two sets of the Quarks. Had the Fountec drivers on hand, thinking they would be useful for future small footprint projects. One set goes to my daughter, who when I asked what color she'd like, reminded me that her favorite color is red. I'll post a couple of photos for those that might be interested. A couple of observations -- these guys are really quite capable for such a small and simple design. Making the cutouts for recessed drivers, I discovered that the standard cut sizes on the router circle guide produced a very tight fit. So tight, in fact, that the Fountec drivers would have to be pressed in. That led me to another discovery, the aluminum cones are easily damaged. My thumbs slipped off as I was pressing the first driver in, and I bent the heck out of the cone. So I ended up ordering another driver, and making a curved sanding block sized just a little smaller than the opening, so I could enlarge them by sanding. My advice is to cut to the next larger hole size. The other observation I have is that making the crossover can be a bit of a challenge, since everything has to fit through that small hole. I ended up mounting all components (except for the I core inductor) on a small piece of perforated circuit board, and attaching to the side with double-sided tape. I'm very pleased with them --thanks to Jeff for the design.
    Are you comfortable attaching the crossover with double-backed tape? That doesn't sound very secure.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied

Originally posted by Soundslike View Post
    I just finished two sets of the Quarks. Had the Fountec drivers on hand, thinking they would be useful for future small footprint projects. One set goes to my daughter, who when I asked what color she'd like, reminded me that her favorite color is red. I'll post a couple of photos for those that might be interested. A couple of observations -- these guys are really quite capable for such a small and simple design. Making the cutouts for recessed drivers, I discovered that the standard cut sizes on the router circle guide produced a very tight fit. So tight, in fact, that the Fountec drivers would have to be pressed in. That led me to another discovery, the aluminum cones are easily damaged. My thumbs slipped off as I was pressing the first driver in, and I bent the heck out of the cone. So I ended up ordering another driver, and making a curved sanding block sized just a little smaller than the opening, so I could enlarge them by sanding. My advice is to cut to the next larger hole size. The other observation I have is that making the crossover can be a bit of a challenge, since everything has to fit through that small hole. I ended up mounting all components (except for the I core inductor) on a small piece of perforated circuit board, and attaching to the side with double-sided tape. I'm very pleased with them --thanks to Jeff for the design.
    I ended up purchasing a 2 7/8" forstner bit from Grizzly to drill the hole with. I made some clearance on the inside of the baffle with a 45 degree router bit to aid in air movement. I think Jeff used a 3" hole and 1/2" material? I used 3/4" so I went ahead and made some more breathing room. Only managed to screw up one baffle

I'm going to be using a cool idea for some legs for the front, too.
    Can't wait to hear them sing, getting close.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• squiers007
    replied

Anyone try this with the FE85 yet? My wife just mentioned wanting some speakers for her computer at work and these would be perfect.

Also, is there a time frame for DIYSG offering these as a flatpack? Don't see it listed on there website yet.

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

Leave a comment:

• violaplayer
    replied

Sorry Jeff. My mistake. It works on my phone but is being filtered by my "administrator" on the computer I'm currently using. You know big brother and all.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by violaplayer View Post
    Hmmm what happened to the original crossover photo. Just got my hands on the drivers and the crossover is gone.
    It still shows in the first post when I pull it up. It's right under the pic showing the can of paint. It's not there when you look?

Leave a comment:

• violaplayer
    replied

Hmmm what happened to the original crossover photo. Just got my hands on the drivers and the crossover is gone.

Leave a comment:

• ejh2854
    replied

Acknowledged- thanks! ...the parts are cheap, and my labor even cheaper ;)

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by ejh2854 View Post
    Jeff,

A question, if you're still checking in with this thread...

I've built two pair, and to say "very happy" would be a gross understatement... it's hard to believe there's so much quality sound coming from such petite enclosures.

My pair sit on the desktop, and I wouldn't change a thing about 'em. The wife wanted hers flown from upper corners in her small (13' x 12' x 8' ceiling) office, and the gain from being in these corners lends a certain ...thickness, I suppose to the sound- Nora Jones, for example sounds fabulous on my Quarks but seems to have a head cold (or has put on a bunch of weight) played through the suspended set.

I've been able to influence it a little with tone controls (those are running on a 2020A+) or by partially/heavily stuffing the port tube with PolyFill, but neither seems to materially improve the sound without b*ggering it in some other sense. I haven't run a sweep on them yet to isolate the frequency(ies) suffering this blooming.

So my question, if you have a sec: if you were to re-shape the frequency response on these in that context, how would you attack it?

These little guys are such naturals for being mounted this way (or under an eave on a patio) I'd suspect that others might ponder this same question... either way, thanks for your consideration!

Since the crossover is so simple there may not be a real simple solution. You can start by reducing the series resistor on the tweeter to about 5 ohms. The next step would be to lower the value of the inductor on the woofer to about .6 - .7 mH range. It's the kind of thing that might require a pretty different crossover to get it leveled out.

Leave a comment:

• ejh2854
    replied

Jeff,

A question, if you're still checking in with this thread...

I've built two pair, and to say "very happy" would be a gross understatement... it's hard to believe there's so much quality sound coming from such petite enclosures.

My pair sit on the desktop, and I wouldn't change a thing about 'em. The wife wanted hers flown from upper corners in her small (13' x 12' x 8' ceiling) office, and the gain from being in these corners lends a certain ...thickness, I suppose to the sound- Nora Jones, for example sounds fabulous on my Quarks but seems to have a head cold (or has put on a bunch of weight) played through the suspended set.

I've been able to influence it a little with tone controls (those are running on a 2020A+) or by partially/heavily stuffing the port tube with PolyFill, but neither seems to materially improve the sound without b*ggering it in some other sense. I haven't run a sweep on them yet to isolate the frequency(ies) suffering this blooming.

So my question, if you have a sec: if you were to re-shape the frequency response on these in that context, how would you attack it?

These little guys are such naturals for being mounted this way (or under an eave on a patio) I'd suspect that others might ponder this same question... either way, thanks for your consideration!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by ksneote View Post
    Wonderful! Any info on what design they will be doing? The Quarks, or something else?
    I believe they will be Quarks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X