The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker

What an inspiring picture. Like a giant monolith in a crop circle. I have something cooked up for my Quarks that I hope people will enjoy seeing.

Comment

Ah I was a fool and missed the sale on the Fountek FE-83 driver. Was there talk of a flat pack for these? Or does anyone else have some extra drivers they were willing to sell? (Doubt it as these are apparently awesome little speakers!)

I do understand that the FE-85 can be used as a replacement, but the extra xmax and deeper bass of the FE-83 would be preferable for me.

Comment

diysoundgroup bought a bunch of FE 83s to go with some kits they will be bringing out.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
          diysoundgroup bought a bunch of FE 83s to go with some kits they will be bringing out.
          Wonderful! Any info on what design they will be doing? The Quarks, or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by ksneote View Post
            Wonderful! Any info on what design they will be doing? The Quarks, or something else?
            I believe they will be Quarks.
            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Jeff,

A question, if you're still checking in with this thread...

I've built two pair, and to say "very happy" would be a gross understatement... it's hard to believe there's so much quality sound coming from such petite enclosures.

My pair sit on the desktop, and I wouldn't change a thing about 'em. The wife wanted hers flown from upper corners in her small (13' x 12' x 8' ceiling) office, and the gain from being in these corners lends a certain ...thickness, I suppose to the sound- Nora Jones, for example sounds fabulous on my Quarks but seems to have a head cold (or has put on a bunch of weight) played through the suspended set.

I've been able to influence it a little with tone controls (those are running on a 2020A+) or by partially/heavily stuffing the port tube with PolyFill, but neither seems to materially improve the sound without b*ggering it in some other sense. I haven't run a sweep on them yet to isolate the frequency(ies) suffering this blooming.

So my question, if you have a sec: if you were to re-shape the frequency response on these in that context, how would you attack it?

These little guys are such naturals for being mounted this way (or under an eave on a patio) I'd suspect that others might ponder this same question... either way, thanks for your consideration!

Ed Henderson

Comment

Originally posted by ejh2854 View Post
                Jeff,

A question, if you're still checking in with this thread...

I've built two pair, and to say "very happy" would be a gross understatement... it's hard to believe there's so much quality sound coming from such petite enclosures.

My pair sit on the desktop, and I wouldn't change a thing about 'em. The wife wanted hers flown from upper corners in her small (13' x 12' x 8' ceiling) office, and the gain from being in these corners lends a certain ...thickness, I suppose to the sound- Nora Jones, for example sounds fabulous on my Quarks but seems to have a head cold (or has put on a bunch of weight) played through the suspended set.

I've been able to influence it a little with tone controls (those are running on a 2020A+) or by partially/heavily stuffing the port tube with PolyFill, but neither seems to materially improve the sound without b*ggering it in some other sense. I haven't run a sweep on them yet to isolate the frequency(ies) suffering this blooming.

So my question, if you have a sec: if you were to re-shape the frequency response on these in that context, how would you attack it?

These little guys are such naturals for being mounted this way (or under an eave on a patio) I'd suspect that others might ponder this same question... either way, thanks for your consideration!

Since the crossover is so simple there may not be a real simple solution. You can start by reducing the series resistor on the tweeter to about 5 ohms. The next step would be to lower the value of the inductor on the woofer to about .6 - .7 mH range. It's the kind of thing that might require a pretty different crossover to get it leveled out.

Comment

Acknowledged- thanks! ...the parts are cheap, and my labor even cheaper ;)
                  Ed Henderson

Comment

Hmmm what happened to the original crossover photo. Just got my hands on the drivers and the crossover is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by violaplayer View Post
                      Hmmm what happened to the original crossover photo. Just got my hands on the drivers and the crossover is gone.
                      It still shows in the first post when I pull it up. It's right under the pic showing the can of paint. It's not there when you look?

Comment

Sorry Jeff. My mistake. It works on my phone but is being filtered by my "administrator" on the computer I'm currently using. You know big brother and all.

Comment

I just finished two sets of the Quarks. Had the Fountec drivers on hand, thinking they would be useful for future small footprint projects. One set goes to my daughter, who when I asked what color she'd like, reminded me that her favorite color is red. I'll post a couple of photos for those that might be interested. A couple of observations -- these guys are really quite capable for such a small and simple design. Making the cutouts for recessed drivers, I discovered that the standard cut sizes on the router circle guide produced a very tight fit. So tight, in fact, that the Fountec drivers would have to be pressed in. That led me to another discovery, the aluminum cones are easily damaged. My thumbs slipped off as I was pressing the first driver in, and I bent the heck out of the cone. So I ended up ordering another driver, and making a curved sanding block sized just a little smaller than the opening, so I could enlarge them by sanding. My advice is to cut to the next larger hole size. The other observation I have is that making the crossover can be a bit of a challenge, since everything has to fit through that small hole. I ended up mounting all components (except for the I core inductor) on a small piece of perforated circuit board, and attaching to the side with double-sided tape. I'm very pleased with them --thanks to Jeff for the design.
                          Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                          Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                          Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                          Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                          Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                          NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

Anyone try this with the FE85 yet? My wife just mentioned wanting some speakers for her computer at work and these would be perfect.

Also, is there a time frame for DIYSG offering these as a flatpack? Don't see it listed on there website yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundslike View Post
                              I just finished two sets of the Quarks. Had the Fountec drivers on hand, thinking they would be useful for future small footprint projects. One set goes to my daughter, who when I asked what color she'd like, reminded me that her favorite color is red. I'll post a couple of photos for those that might be interested. A couple of observations -- these guys are really quite capable for such a small and simple design. Making the cutouts for recessed drivers, I discovered that the standard cut sizes on the router circle guide produced a very tight fit. So tight, in fact, that the Fountec drivers would have to be pressed in. That led me to another discovery, the aluminum cones are easily damaged. My thumbs slipped off as I was pressing the first driver in, and I bent the heck out of the cone. So I ended up ordering another driver, and making a curved sanding block sized just a little smaller than the opening, so I could enlarge them by sanding. My advice is to cut to the next larger hole size. The other observation I have is that making the crossover can be a bit of a challenge, since everything has to fit through that small hole. I ended up mounting all components (except for the I core inductor) on a small piece of perforated circuit board, and attaching to the side with double-sided tape. I'm very pleased with them --thanks to Jeff for the design.
                              I ended up purchasing a 2 7/8" forstner bit from Grizzly to drill the hole with. I made some clearance on the inside of the baffle with a 45 degree router bit to aid in air movement. I think Jeff used a 3" hole and 1/2" material? I used 3/4" so I went ahead and made some more breathing room. Only managed to screw up one baffle

I'm going to be using a cool idea for some legs for the front, too.
                              Can't wait to hear them sing, getting close.

TomZ
                              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by Soundslike View Post
                                Are you comfortable attaching the crossover with double-backed tape? That doesn't sound very secure.

Comment

Working...
                                X