Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

The Boxers - a subwoofer and waveguide loaded tweeter based 2-way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dynamo
    replied
    Re: The Boxers - a subwoofer and waveguide loaded tweeter based 2-way

I really like this design a lot. Really looks nice!

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

I would be tempted to spray the backs of the wg with bedliner or brush on Duratex.

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
    Ooooo Can you send across the ribs and the raw measurements?

Is the waveguide resonating due to the Woofer pressurization? Would it help if the waveguide has its own chamber like a mid, sealed from the woofer?
    Yes I can send those over to you.

The waveguide is resonating for the same reason that the rest of the walls resonate, but it is thinner than the rest of the walls and has a mass (the tweeter) attached to the center of it, so I think that the resonance is in a bad frequency range.

It would definitely help to seal the WG off from the woofer, but I wanted to use all the airspace I could. The resonance was just barely audible, so I think the ribs will push the frequency into a lower energy range and the Dynamat will help damp what little resonance does get excited.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Navy Guy
    replied

Really cool design! Hopefully I'll get a chance to hear it someday.

Leave a comment:

• ani_101
    replied

Originally posted by DanP View Post
    No changes yet, but I printed some ribs that I'll glue to the back of the waveguide and got some Dynamat to stick to them after the ribs. I did some more voicing, but ended up with the same xo that was at InDIYana - I think I just need to take care of that WG resonance you noticed and she'll be ready for MWAF.

Dan
    Ooooo Can you send across the ribs and the raw measurements?

Is the waveguide resonating due to the Woofer pressurization? Would it help if the waveguide has its own chamber like a mid, sealed from the woofer?

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Any changes made since InDIYana? They sure did need juice too! Power HUNGRY!

Just curious,
    Wolf
    No changes yet, but I printed some ribs that I'll glue to the back of the waveguide and got some Dynamat to stick to them after the ribs. I did some more voicing, but ended up with the same xo that was at InDIYana - I think I just need to take care of that WG resonance you noticed and she'll be ready for MWAF.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Any changes made since InDIYana? They sure did need juice too! Power HUNGRY!

Just curious,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
    Very nice. Liked it at InDIYana.

One question though, why is the response showing a 10db dip at around 15khz? Is this due to the waveguide or crossover? The RS28F should be flatter than that on its own, though it does roll off over the high frequencies.

do you have the raw measurements of the RS28F - FRD/ZMA. I do have the RS28F on hand, and i will print out the waveguide.
    The dip is a product of the waveguide and only occurs directly on axis. It goes away quite quickly off axis. I'll post some off axis measurements here this weekend showing the smoothing off axis and the characteristic waveguide dispersion. I do already have the raw RS28F data that I can send to you.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• ani_101
    replied

Very nice. Liked it at InDIYana.

One question though, why is the response showing a 10db dip at around 15khz? Is this due to the waveguide or crossover? The RS28F should be flatter than that on its own, though it does roll off over the high frequencies.

do you have the raw measurements of the RS28F - FRD/ZMA. I do have the RS28F on hand, and i will print out the waveguide.

Leave a comment:

• Harvylogan
    replied

Very nice and useful project. This design covers quite a wide variety of applications. Hard to do with many designs of today.

Leave a comment:

• cooper
    replied

Love the concept. I bet w/ a little power behind them they really rock! I like the cardboard/zip tie crossover layout, that's my favorite method.

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied

A couple more pics of the impedance and completed crossover.

Dan
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X