Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anthology A new high performance budget friendly speaker design!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bionicbob View Post
    What is the difference between the Solen and Clarity PX? Will I notice a different/better sound by upgrading caps? How does using the Clarity PX change the sound quality?
    If you're a critical listener, you'll notice better clarity and definition on very well recorded music and very good source components. I used Clarity PX in the woofer and mid networks with Clarity ESA in the tweeter network. If the budget will allow I recommend this. You can save some money by using Solens in the woofer network without any noticeable impact. The cost difference wasn't that much in the overall scheme of things so I went Clarity all the way.

I should add the disclaimer that cap upgrades don't offer very much bang for the buck. It's just a final step to get the best musical sound quality you can out of a design.

HTH

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Holtz; 06-12-2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Steven72555; 08-07-2015, 09:47 AM.
      Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by Steven72555 View Post
        I keep looking at the plans for these, and I only have one question.
        Where or how do you run wires to the mids?

Hi Steven,

I drill a couple small holes in the middle of each mid tunnel the size of the wire you're using and feed it through to each driver.

Jim

Comment

Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by Steven72555 View Post
            Has anyone built these yet?
            I believe there are several builds in progress. I also took them to Dakota DIY in June. You could post in that thread for feedback from the people that were there.

Another option is, they'll be at the Chicago DIY this weekend. Drive over and listen for yourself.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
              Another option is, they'll be at the Chicago DIY this weekend. Drive over and listen for yourself.

Jim
              Heard them in SD and will be VERY happy to hear them again!
              Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
              DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
              Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JSheringo View Post
                  I am very interested in the Anthologies. I listen to a lot of music, especially high quality vocals, on vinyl and FLAC files. I was thinking of the Statement IIs or the ZRT 2.5s. I am concerned that the crossover design for the ZRTs may not have kept up with driver changes. When I talked to Mark, he recommended the Anthologies.

I really like the design, especially the smaller size. The small number of crossover components surprised me for a 3 way design. I assume this is because the drivers are so well behaved.

I noticed a couple errors on the cabinet drawing. It appears the top is double up 3/4", but I don't think it should be. The same with the top window brace. I don't believe the window braces are rabbited into the front panel.

If I build these, I think I will do a down firing port. I thought 6" PVC would be easy to find, but it is not. Will probably need to order.

All advice is greatly appreciated!!
                  You are correct. The top is a single panel of 3/4" MDF. There is a front and rear 3/4" support panel to hold the PVC tubes in place and they **** against the top panel with the top window pane brace flushed against them on the bottom. The window braces are not rabbited into the front/back panels.

6" PVC is available at every major home store here in the Des Moines area. Home Depot, Menards and Lowes all carry it. Mark should be able to provide cut tubes for you if you ask.

HTH

Jim
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Jim Holtz; 09-25-2015, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Comment

Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

Originally posted by Melby Audio View Post
                        My cabinet kit includes cut tubes also.
                        You're doing flat packs for Anthology's?

Jim

Comment

Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JSheringo View Post
                              Thanks Jim,

I listen to music from the second level of my theater room which is elevated 8" above the floor, so anything that makes the tweeters higher is good. Will leave plenty of room for the ports. I am able to move the speakers about a foot from the wall for critical listening....I know that is probably not ideal. I have not been able to find any graphs for response or impedance. I imagine the efficiency is probably middle of the road.

Joe
                              I agree, higher is better. The ribbon should be at ear level for the best sound.

Efficiency is in the 88-89 range and impedance by industry standards would probably be considered about 6-8 ohm. In reality it varies from 10 - 4 ohms. Any good receiver or amp can handle them without a problem. I'd suggest 100 real watts minimum. More is better and 4 ohm capability is recommended.

Jim

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X