Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anthology A new high performance budget friendly speaker design!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven72555
    replied
    LOT! Add another 20 pounds for the speakers, and you will definitely need a strong friend to move these things around.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Originally posted by JSheringo View Post
    Funny, that answer can be taken two ways.

I think 1/2 or double the value would probably be a good place to start.....or, it may be just right.

The precision ports came with a 5" center piece. I assume it is precut....assembled with the flares, it is more like 13".

Did you consider putting damping in the upper (with the midrange tubes) and lower chambers?

Did you chamfer the back of the speaaker cutouts?

I rounded the edges of all my window frame braces.....I seriously doubt that does anything, but I just didn't have enough MDF dust in my garage.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Hi Joe,

My answer wasn't meant to be funny. Curt is the crossover designer and can tell you what values you'd need to do a +/_ 3db on the tweeter. Which prompts me to ask; why you'd want to do that? The Anthology's under went extensive measuring, listening and adjusting to achieve a realistic balance during development. If you have a personal preference, I understand but they will no longer sound as designed. I guess thats the "Y" in DIY. :-)

Port tubes are precut and ready to assemble.

Yes, I did consider the extra foam/stuffing but chose not to. The cabinet is optimally sized for the (2) RS225's and the foam as speced is designed to kill backwave reflections which it does. Adding foam/stuffing would only make the cabinet appear larger to the woofers which wasn't needed.

I always chamfer the inside of the front baffle on all drivers except for the tweeter/ribbons. It helps smooth the transfer and eliminates the tunnel effect.

HTH

Jim

Leave a comment:

• JSheringo
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
    That would be a Curt question.

Jim
    Funny, that answer can be taken two ways.

I think 1/2 or double the value would probably be a good place to start.....or, it may be just right.

The precision ports came with a 5" center piece. I assume it is precut....assembled with the flares, it is more like 13".

Did you consider putting damping in the upper (with the midrange tubes) and lower chambers?

Did you chamfer the back of the speaaker cutouts?

I rounded the edges of all my window frame braces.....I seriously doubt that does anything, but I just didn't have enough MDF dust in my garage.

Thanks,
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Originally posted by JSheringo View Post
    Have started my Anthologies. Started playing with the crossovers. Can anyone give me an estimated change in value for the tweeter series resistor for a +/- 3 decibel change?

Thanks,
    Joe
    That would be a Curt question.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• JSheringo
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Originally posted by fdieck View Post
    Thanks for making this info available. Well behaved mid drivers in a three way make the final crossover a thing of graceful simplicity.
    You're welcome. Enjoy!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    They sounded very full, rich and crisp......at the same time.
    Really, i was very impressed.
    I had that impression with Matts and JR's as well. All three were very balanced as well.
    Thanks Lowell! Feedback from an accomplished speaker designer like you is very important to me. I appreciate it! :applause:

Jim

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JasonP