Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anthology A new high performance budget friendly speaker design!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Originally posted by Steven72555 View Post
    Has anyone built these yet?
    I believe there are several builds in progress. I also took them to Dakota DIY in June. You could post in that thread for feedback from the people that were there.

Another option is, they'll be at the Chicago DIY this weekend. Drive over and listen for yourself.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Steven72555
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    I keep looking at the plans for these, and I only have one question.
    Where or how do you run wires to the mids?

Hi Steven,

I drill a couple small holes in the middle of each mid tunnel the size of the wire you're using and feed it through to each driver.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Steven72555
    replied
    Last edited by Steven72555; 08-07-2015, 10:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Originally posted by bionicbob View Post
    What is the difference between the Solen and Clarity PX? Will I notice a different/better sound by upgrading caps? How does using the Clarity PX change the sound quality?
    If you're a critical listener, you'll notice better clarity and definition on very well recorded music and very good source components. I used Clarity PX in the woofer and mid networks with Clarity ESA in the tweeter network. If the budget will allow I recommend this. You can save some money by using Solens in the woofer network without any noticeable impact. The cost difference wasn't that much in the overall scheme of things so I went Clarity all the way.

I should add the disclaimer that cap upgrades don't offer very much bang for the buck. It's just a final step to get the best musical sound quality you can out of a design.

HTH

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Holtz; 06-12-2015, 02:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bionicbob
    replied

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied
    Originally posted by rickyj View Post
    I live a measly 75 miles from Sioux Falls and I wanted to be at the DIY today to listen to these speakers in the worst way but just could not make it. I'm super jealous.
    We will do it again next year so make it happen.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    Finishing up the demo on these. I like them more than original Statements. Nice job, guys. Well done.
    Thanks JR! I appreciate your feedback.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• kenny_k
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Were these speakers made with MDF and finished with veneer?
    Hi Steven,

Yes, they're built from 3/4" MDF and finished with walnut veneer. Veneer Supplies had a great buy on a 4x10 sheet of walnut that allowed me to wrap the front and sides with one piece on both speakers with enough left to finish the tops. I had some left over gloss black laminate that I used on the back.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Steven72555
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied
    Originally posted by sorue View Post
    Jim,

Will Curt post a write-up on the Anthology at his website too? I love to read the write-ups!
    Yes, we'll do the normal write up for Curt's website, time permitting. In the meantime, I'll try to answer questions and there were about 25 - 30 Dakota DIY attendees that listened and can provide feedback on their sound quality.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• sorue
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
    Thanks Steven! Give Meniscus a call for kit pricing and construction plans.

Jim
    Jim,

Will Curt post a write-up on the Anthology at his website too? I love to read the write-ups!

Leave a comment:

• rickyj
    replied

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X