Solstice MLTL Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solstice MLTL Build

Just based on a couple of online comments, possibly PE reviews but i didnt understand either, when the tweets are built like tanks.
    This review(328) on madisound made me laugh, I can only think he and his missus are smoking the strong stuff https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...le-dome-8-ohm/

Comment

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
      Just based on a couple of online comments, possibly PE reviews but i didnt understand either, when the tweets are built like tanks.
      This review(328) on madisound made me laugh, I can only think he and his missus are smoking the strong stuff https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...le-dome-8-ohm/
      You mean this part:

" Furthermore, because of the translucent dome, convex shape, and visible voice coil at the bottom, under direct illumination (overhead track lighting), they look like eyeballs that stare at you. My DIY speakers sit on a stage that is well lit and both my significant other and myself get creeped out by these tweeters looking at us. It's become somewhat of a running joke between us about the tweeters always watching us. Sometimes we wonder if the domes will start moving around and track us as we move about our listening room or if they will someday blink. If they do ever blink, I'll return them, otherwise, I'm very pleased with my purchase!"

Yeah, smoking something.
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Rory Buszka View Post
        Consider adding a rug with medium to deep pile height to your floor. Otherwise, it is probably the first hard surface that the sound from the Solstice speakers will reach, and it will be the largest cause of frequency response variations from audible reflections. You'll notice that as you move closer or further away from the speakers, you will hear noticeable swings in the frequency response. The problem isn't with your speakers, but your environment.
        I would love to add a rug to balance out some of the reflections, but getting the wife to agree has been tough. It's really not a big deal for me though. It's more of a want to have..

Comment

I love Morel tweeters, something very musical about there tonality.

Comment

Any chance you could post a photo of your completed crossover? I'm in the process of building mine and would like something to reference against. Thanks!

Comment

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...light=solstice

Not to steal from the orignal posters thread but here is mine with a xover shot.

Comment

While I have never heard the Solstice, I have owned a pair of Merlin speakers which use both Morel Tweeter and Woofers, also Mundorf capacitors.I also had them pared with and SDS amp from CLass D audio.
                From what I remember the mid-range was very revealing of any type of upstream component. I tried a a variety of mid-fi amps and found NAD amps like the 356 BEE worked really well. It had just the right amount of bloom and warmth, but did lack tight low end control. Class D amps with the Morel components ultimately solved that problem, but that does not always mean that is musical.

It really is a matter of personal preference and despite what some of the guys on her say you amp and dac can make a huge difference. For me after of trying integrated amps up $5000. I got off the merry go round when I realized Exposure amps brought out the best attributes of what I was looking for: The ability to have low end authority and control, but also tube warmth, with huge open sound stage, smooth highs, and really insane dynamics.

Comment

Great review! Makes me stoked to build mine. Btw, I love those cabinet feet. Can you please let me know where you got them?

Comment

Originally posted by Atsaubrey View Post

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...light=solstice

Not to steal from the orignal posters thread but here is mine with a xover shot.
                    The Photobucket Nazi - No pictures for you!

Comment

Working...
                    X