Classix II in BR-1 cabinets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classix II in BR-1 cabinets

I've been on a bit of a build binge recently and after seeing Diskiodo's Classix II in BR-1 cabinets, I was bitten by the bug once again. I was able to build them in a few hours thanks to the BR-1 cabinets which may not be eye candy, but really are a good value. Fortunately, the BR-1's arrived in perfect condition unlike what the packaging would have suggested with a tear in the side of the box. Parts Express should really add more padding in the center of the box to prevent damage to the grills from side impact. What you see in the pictures below is all of the packaging for the cabinets minus the plastic bag each was in. I used some leftover foam I had from electronics packaging and added some polyfill. I'm really liking the cap head wood screws I have been using from Parts Express. The hex head allows for better force application with less chance of slippage versus phillips head in my opinion. Thanks to Paul C. for another great sounding design. The Classix II can sure play low!
    -Nate
    On to the pictures:

Last edited by silverD; 11-06-2015, 05:34 PM.
    My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Re: Classix II in BR-1 cabinets

Nice work. Can you share any more details about the finish of the BR-1 cabinets? I'm thinking about doing a new design and using those cabinets.
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
      Nice work. Can you share any more details about the finish of the BR-1 cabinets? I'm thinking about doing a new design and using those cabinets.
      Thanks John, what type of info are you looking for?
      My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

You guys are so smart! I only wish I had thought of this from the get-go. The BR-1 cabinets are perfect because they come with grilles. I'll be the first to admit that hiding the frame of the DC160 behind a grille is the best way to go.
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Your comment was that the cabinets were not eye candy, which makes be think that the finish looks plastic. In the pics they look pretty good. I'm trying to get a feel if the cabinets would match the quality of the RS drivers.
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
            Your comment was that the cabinets were not eye candy, which makes be think that the finish looks plastic. In the pics they look pretty good. I'm trying to get a feel if the cabinets would match the quality of the RS drivers.
            I see what you are getting at. The seams looked good where the vinyl met, but I'm not a huge fan of the black ash look. Too much like JBL, Polk, and other big box brands. I'm able to look past this based on the fact I didn't have to finish them myself. If you like black wood, they look completely fine. I can try and get some better pics with the grills on soon. Anything in particular you'd like to see?
            -Nate

Comment

Thanks, your pics are good enough for me to try them.

I had bought some HiWave speakers hoping the cabinets were decent enough to repurpose but was thoroughly disappointed
              John H

Comment

I'm getting close to finishing up a set of Classix II's myself, but not with these cabinets. I do think they look nice though, and so fast to put together, I'll keep them in mind for a quick future build. I like the look of the cap head screws you used, could you tell me what size you used?

Comment

John, what HiWave speakers are you referring to?
                  Jeff, I used these. They worked great for the tweeters (marked and drilled new holes in the cabinet) and the heads were just large enough that they didn't pass through the woofer frame holes, but I found that the pre-drilled holes in the cabinet (which were designed for the DC160) are not centered in each of the 4 woofer frame mounting holes. They all were aligned a bit towards the center of the speaker. This ended up working fine as the screw heads settled just between the woofer gasket and raised frame edge.
                  -Nate

Comment

This was the project, http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...w-Wave-buyouts
                    They are NLA
                    John H

Comment

I love the reuse of the cabinet. The classix are a very enjoyable speaker as well.
                      If you wanted to close the gap around the tweeter you could put a O-ring around the tweeter masking it look like a beading detail.

Comment

Originally posted by silverD View Post
                        John, what HiWave speakers are you referring to?
                        Jeff, I used these. They worked great for the tweeters (marked and drilled new holes in the cabinet) and the heads were just large enough that they didn't pass through the woofer frame holes, but I found that the pre-drilled holes in the cabinet (which were designed for the DC160) are not centered in each of the 4 woofer frame mounting holes. They all were aligned a bit towards the center of the speaker. This ended up working fine as the screw heads settled just between the woofer gasket and raised frame edge.
                        -Nate
                        Thanks Nate. I was going to use some #8 pan heads but they won't seat properly, they catch on the outside lip of the woofers frame. I have some #6 pan heads as well, I'll probably end up using them. I looked into the cap head design at P.E. and It looks like the size of the bolt heads are either too small or too big to fit just right in the DC160 frame. I wish they made a M4.5 size screw, I think that would be a perfect fit.

Comment

John, those look to be of lesser quality than the BR-1 cabinets.
                          Ken, thanks for the gap filler idea.
                          Jeff, here are a couple more pics of the fasteners:

-Nate

Comment

If you want to use a o-ring but cant find one at the local hardware store let me know and I can get some from work and send them to you. I have the tweeters here so I could find the correct size.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
                              If you want to use a o-ring but cant find one at the local hardware store let me know and I can get some from work and send them to you. I have the tweeters here so I could find the correct size.
                              Thanks Ken,
                              I'm not experienced with o-ring sizing, but are you referring to something like this?
                              -Nate

Comment

Working...
                              X