Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Classix II in BR-1 cabinets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Classix II in BR-1 cabinets

silver, may I ask where you purchased the speaker parts from? I know about meniscus, that's about it. I'm really excited to build this kit. Thanks for posting those pics. I'll post mine once I start building, as well.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by amp View Post
      silver, may I ask where you purchased the speaker parts from? I know about meniscus, that's about it. I'm really excited to build this kit. Thanks for posting those pics. I'll post mine once I start building, as well.

Thanks!
      Hey Amp, if your looking for a full kit (parts + cabinets) or just parts, this place has it http://melbyaudio.com/products/class...ant=6227092993

Comment

Originally posted by amp View Post

Thanks!
        Amp,
        Sorry for the late reply. It looks like Diskiodo already answered this in the other thread. I used the BOM on Paul's site to buy the components from Parts Express.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	classix II.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1170156
        Let me know if you have any more questions.
        -Nate
        My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Nate, you are correct that is the style o ring that I was thinking of. You might be able to find different colors, you might even be able to find one that is square. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by silverD View Post
            Amp,
            Sorry for the late reply. It looks like Diskiodo already answered this in the other thread. I used the BOM on Paul's site to buy the components from Parts Express.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]61603[/ATTACH]
            Let me know if you have any more questions.
            -Nate
            This is very helpful. Perfect. My package should arrive in one week. I'll be sure to dust off my DSLR and brush up on my photography skills until then.

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
            Hey Amp, if your looking for a full kit (parts + cabinets) or just parts, this place has it http://melbyaudio.com/products/class...ant=6227092993
            Thanks for providing the link. I ended up purchasing the parts individually from PE, but I like that they supply a variety of different kits on that site.

Comment

Hello again.

I would just like to share my photo album set of the classix IIs like I said I would up above.

Here you go: http://imgur.com/a/jSU24
              Enjoy!

Comment

Just a word of caution. Resistors are used to suck up power (to attenuate things by adding resistance to the circuits) and therefore CAN get hot (quite hot sometimes, esp. if you're cranking your speakers).

I'm pretty sure cardboard's ignition temp. must be a lot lower than "hardboard" (or thin plywood, or old, used paneling - like I like to use) and so YOUR fire danger is probably a lot higher than normal. You might want to remount your XOs - to avoid a fire. (It depends.)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                  Just a word of caution. Resistors are used to suck up power (to attenuate things by adding resistance to the circuits) and therefore CAN get hot (quite hot sometimes, esp. if you're cranking your speakers).

I'm pretty sure cardboard's ignition temp. must be a lot lower than "hardboard" (or thin plywood, or old, used paneling - like I like to use) and so YOUR fire danger is probably a lot higher than normal. You might want to remount your XOs - to avoid a fire. (It depends.)
                  Chris, thanks for your advice. I did have a sheet of plywood laying around but thought it was too thick at the time. Now I really want to get the XOs swapped with better material. I used hot glue to attach the XO to the cardboard. Would the XO components be fine if I used a heat gun to remove them? I guess I could use a sharp blade to remove the glue, as well.

Also, is it a hazard if I have the 'egg crate' foam damping material or the polyfill stuffing touching the XO? This was something I wondered about before you made that post. I'm glad you did.

Comment

The ignition point of wood and cardboard are pretty close to 800 degrees F.
                    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I ended up leaving the cardboard inside the cabinet.

Something feels off with the woofers to me. They don't provide the thump I was expecting with respect to the loudness of the tweeter. It is only until I hit a certain dB level where the tweeters and woofers start to sound balanced. I expect that this is normal behavior, given the size of the box. But it still left me wondering if I am feeding the speakers enough power with my marrantz 2226 (26 watts p/ channel @ 8 ohms). What do you all think? Should I be using something like this instead?

I also didn't put any sealing calk or gasket tape around the woofer when mounting it to the cabinet. I believe the woofer had a thin piece already applied. Do I need to apply more to prevent air leaks?

Comment

These speakers aren't very efficient at 83-84db, but a solid 26 watts should do fine, as long as you're not trying to get to 100db in a large room. I have run mine with 25-150 watt amps and thought they sounded fine with all of them, within the volume limits of each.

They should sound almost the same at low and high volume, but your ears may not notice the bass until they get to a certain level. You might check your room placement. You may have a large suck-out in a sensitive area of the bass, i.e. 100-200 Hz and so you get the impression of no bass, but really the room is taking that away.

Might have more help if you tell us the types of music and how loud you listen, as well as the size of the room and is it closed or open to other areas.
                        Paul

The "SB's" build page
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

One thing about those Classic woofers in that box w/that tuning . . . while they CAN play pretty low, they'll exceed Xmax around 60Hz if driven w/more than about 15w RMS (says WinISD). I've bottomed them out before (w/out doing any permanent damage AFAICT) and it sounds horrible, kinda like a machine gun ( ba-ba-ba-ba-bam ! ).

Never saw those woofers supplied w/anything (on the frame) other than the heavy (ugly) paper gasket on the front (for REAR mounting). It's possible that your BR-1 cabs might have been gasketed - not sure.

Are you POSitive that your XO is wired correctly?

Comment

To check for leaks I put masking tape around the port making it small enough so I can blow into the port.

Also check for polarity of the woofers. if one woofer is out of phase with the other you will lose bass. Use a small battery and momentarily touch the connections across the battery and watch the woofer cone move. The cone movement should be the same on both woofers.
                            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
                            X