Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box

I've done several speaker builds recently and figured I needed more amps to power them. I have had several TPA3116 amps (YJ blue and black, YJ HiFi TPA3116 2.1) and think they ofter good sound on a small budget. After reading some good reviews on other forums, I recently picked up few dual TPA3116 D2 boards that come with a switched pot and both a 3.5mm input and audio input header. Did I mention they can be had for under $13! I needed an enclosure, so I stopped into a local thrift store and found several candidates each around $2. My wife liked this one the best, so I went to work. It started its life as a music box that played "Speak Softly Love", but will now play any song. It was tight (the speaker output wires are just under an inch long), but it worked out. I was unable to fit the power connector I had on the back panel, so for now the 90W laptop brick is hard wired. I didn't like the knob it came with and it didn't fit once the board was mounted in the box. I have an aluminum one on order, but was able to repurpose a knob from an old plate amp for the time being. I found that the color coding on the input header wires for the RCA jacks were backwards, but it was an easy fix. I didn't drill a hole for the 3.5mm jack as this amp will be used with a raspberry pi/I2S DAC/RuneAudio setup that can been seen in the pics below.
    All in all, the amp turned out great and sounds just as good. No on/off thump, but just a bit of noise I need to track down.

-Nate
    My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Re: Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box

Fantastic little build - love the vintage box with new guts.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Very. nice, great job repurposing and making something much more useful.
      Paul

The "SB's" build page
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Thanks Don and Paul. The setup is working great. I really like the ability to control it from a browser.
        -Nate
        My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Working...
        X