Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box

I've done several speaker builds recently and figured I needed more amps to power them. I have had several TPA3116 amps (YJ blue and black, YJ HiFi TPA3116 2.1) and think they ofter good sound on a small budget. After reading some good reviews on other forums, I recently picked up few dual TPA3116 D2 boards that come with a switched pot and both a 3.5mm input and audio input header. Did I mention they can be had for under $13! I needed an enclosure, so I stopped into a local thrift store and found several candidates each around $2. My wife liked this one the best, so I went to work. It started its life as a music box that played "Speak Softly Love", but will now play any song. It was tight (the speaker output wires are just under an inch long), but it worked out. I was unable to fit the power connector I had on the back panel, so for now the 90W laptop brick is hard wired. I didn't like the knob it came with and it didn't fit once the board was mounted in the box. I have an aluminum one on order, but was able to repurpose a knob from an old plate amp for the time being. I found that the color coding on the input header wires for the RCA jacks were backwards, but it was an easy fix. I didn't drill a hole for the 3.5mm jack as this amp will be used with a raspberry pi/I2S DAC/RuneAudio setup that can been seen in the pics below.
    All in all, the amp turned out great and sounds just as good. No on/off thump, but just a bit of noise I need to track down.

-Nate
    My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Re: Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box

Fantastic little build - love the vintage box with new guts.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Very. nice, great job repurposing and making something much more useful.
      Paul

The "SB's" build page
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Thanks Don and Paul. The setup is working great. I really like the ability to control it from a browser.
        -Nate
        My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Working...
        X