DA175 ML-TQWT *PIC*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DA175 ML-TQWT *PIC*

I thought I'd revisit Martin King's worksheets to see what the DA175 could do in a TL type enclosure. I started with a high ratio tapered TL. I got some real nice looking plots, but nothing that really improved much over a standard vented box. So I dropped it in the ML-TQWT. I think I found the ideal alignment for this little woofer.

This alignment allows smooth, deep response well below 30Hz with port lengths between 5 and 7 inches. I think I'll re-do the 2-way with the TBFC and use this enclosure as a small floor stander.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong

Re: DA175 ML-TQWT

Pete,
    One of the things I've been cautioned about is that Martin's worksheets make no allowance for room gain. Some simulations have been built which showed a flat response such as yours. They resulted in a "boomy" in-room response. An approach around this is to start with a cabinet having a short port length and "flat" response. Increasing port length ...adding mass loading... extends the lower limit and decreases the amplitude of the response. This tuning allows one to match the system to room conditions.
    HTH
    Mongo only pawn in game of life
    ____
    Ed

Comment

I agree. Often, it works a bit better to droop the low end ~2-3 dB. It kind of depends on the woofer size and volume you'll play at.
      audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

> Pete,
        > One of the things I've been cautioned about
        > is that Martin's worksheets make no
        > allowance for room gain. Some simulations
        > have been built which showed a flat response
        > such as yours. They resulted in a
        > "boomy" in-room response. An
        > approach around this is to start with a
        > cabinet having a short port length and
        > "flat" response. Increasing port
        > length ...adding mass loading... extends the
        > lower limit and decreases the amplitude of
        > the response. This tuning allows one to
        > match the system to room conditions.
        > HTH

That's why I showed the 5" version and added that you could go as long as 7".

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

Comment

> I agree. Often, it works a bit better to
          > droop the low end ~2-3 dB. It kind of
          > depends on the woofer size and volume you'll
          > play at.

It's only a 7" woofer, and will see no more than probably 10W at the low frequencies, or 92dB @ 1m.

Still, as a starting point with the flexibility of lower tuning, it offers a smoother response to a deeper frequency than its helmholtz cousin.

Comment

I didn't save any of the graphs, but I modeled an ML-TL for this driver and the results looked pretty good, too.
            Paul K.

> I thought I'd revisit Martin King's
            > worksheets to see what the DA175 could do in
            > a TL type enclosure. I started with a high
            > ratio tapered TL. I got some real nice
            > looking plots, but nothing that really
            > improved much over a standard vented box. So
            > I dropped it in the ML-TQWT. I think I found
            > the ideal alignment for this little woofer.

> This alignment allows smooth, deep response
            > well below 30Hz with port lengths between 5
            > and 7 inches. I think I'll re-do the 2-way
            > with the TBFC and use this enclosure as a
            > small floor stander.

Comment

> It's only a 7" woofer, and will see no
              > more than probably 10W at the low
              > frequencies, or 92dB @ 1m.

> Still, as a starting point with the
              > flexibility of lower tuning, it offers a
              > smoother response to a deeper frequency than
              > its helmholtz cousin.

I agree. In general the numbers I get with Martin's sims were F3's lower than the typical box, somewhat. Plus, you get some midrange dampening due to the stuffing. All in all, if you don't mind a bit of a box, I think the TL's and ML TL's are a great way to go...

audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher
                I thought I'd revisit Martin King's worksheets to see what the DA175 could do in a TL type enclosure. I started with a high ratio tapered TL. I got some real nice looking plots, but nothing that really improved much over a standard vented box. So I dropped it in the ML-TQWT. I think I found the ideal alignment for this little woofer. This alignment allows smooth, deep response well below 30Hz with port lengths between 5 and 7 inches. I think I'll re-do the 2-way with the TBFC and use this enclosure as a small floor stander.
                Can you please share the values for s0 and sl

Comment

So, where is the pic?

Comment

wow - you posted on an 11-year old thread!
                    Paul

The "SB's" build page
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Originally posted by View Post
                      So, where is the pic?
                      Photobucket sucks.

Comment

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...MzAzMQ==/?ref=

Comment

You will excuse me for being the lightweight in the room, but can I get reasonably accurate results using the later versions of HornResp? I'm mostly keen on modelling a simple straight ML-TL at present, and MathCAD is not cheap. HornResp indicates response significantly different from a simple ported box and a need for massive stuffing, but HornResp is not without its' flaws.

Comment

IIRC you can download the trial version of MathCad ver 8 for free - it's fully featured except you can't save the results to a file. And with the snipping tool that's not a big problem. I believe Martin King is still licensing his worksheets for $25 which would be your total cost.
                            "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Working...
                            X