Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia Crossover Mod

Provided Link: Insignia Mod

I've posted details about my crossover mod for the Insignia on my site. It's pretty cheap, uses a printed circuit board that I supply, and raises the sound from a B-/C+ to a B+.

And they are on sale again... *PIC*

Provided Link: Insignia sale

I clicked on the link on your Insignia page just for grins, and lookee there: $39/pr (3-day sale).

Although we couldn't say for sure how much the cabinet treatment helped out at DCDIY2006, it is probably worth doing since you will need to open up the speakers to upgrade the crossover. I tried a number of different treatments, and they all made the boxes much more rigid. I used the water putty on one pair, and although it is the cheapest way to fill in the slots in the cabinet walls, I didn't like working with it unless it was really thin (pouring consistency). The Elmer's putty had a nice texture that went into the grooves with some moderate pressure from a putty knife, but it was more expensive and you had to remove the port tube to get to the smaller chamber in the cabinet. I used tile grout on one of them and that worked OK also. The worst mixture I tried was the epoxy wood filler--it took a while to mix up and was very difficult to push it into the grooves.

I also bought a couple of thicknesses of balsa wood panels that I was going to cut into strips on a paper cutter (and yes, that works). I was going to coat them with urethane glue and press them into the grooves. Never got around to trying that.
    Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Re: And they are on sale again...

$39--WooHoo As for cabinet stiffening, I used some of the 3/4" PE Black Hole rip off, and then placed the stock foam over that. A little more expensive, but no fuss. You coming by this weekend?

Comment

> You coming by this weekend?

Most likely. I sent you email about an hour ago.

I had bought some machine screws, T-nuts and cap screws with spacers that can replace those specialized wood screws that hold the black front panel in place. By placing the right size spacer on the cap screw you can get the same sized screw head for holding the grill in place and not worry about stripping the wood screw threads or replacing the glue on the front panel. I'll bring by some extra hardware--I think the minimum buys at McMaster-Carr gave me enough for about 5 pairs.
        Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Re: And they are on sale again... *PIC*

> I clicked on the link on your Insignia page
          > just for grins, and lookee there: $39/pr
          > (3-day sale).

I don't think Dennis would disapprove of a front-side image of the actual PCB.

Comment

Re: Yo, MikeyV...

Let's have a PROJECT... Where we can click, and buy...

6 caps, 6 inductors, 6 resistors?

What are those other holes for?

Comment

> I don't think Dennis would disapprove of a
              > front-side image of the actual PCB.

Nope. That's what they look like. If you hold a green light up to the screen, you can see the component values--15.5 mH inductor, 600 uF cap, 400 ohm resistor.....the usual.

Comment

> Nope. That's what they look like. If you
                > hold a green light up to the screen, you can
                > see the component values--15.5 mH inductor,
                > 600 uF cap, 400 ohm resistor.....the usual.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAA!

Of course, you are correct.

Comment

Big Question: BR1 vs Insignia

Dennis:

I was wondering if you had to choose between these two, both using your mods, which would you say sounds better and smoother?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comment

Re: Insignia Crossover Mod

I should go back to my XO and use CALSOD to fully optimize, seeing yours. I used the PCD only, so the small peaks/dips around the resonance wasn't flattened as well as yours.

I'm interested in seeing the difference in the component values between yours and mine. One of the things I liked about treating the woofer cone was the reduction in those values.

I had tried a XO Fc about where yours is, but I couldn't get it to sound quite right to my ears. That area does make it easier to smooth the resonance, though.

Did you try a 2K or slightly higher version?

dlr
                    WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Re: Big Question: BR1 vs Insignia

Cost aside, I would choose the BR-1 because of its superior bass extension. And I think they're a little cleaner overall.

> Dennis:

> I was wondering if you had to choose between
                      > these two, both using your mods, which would
                      > you say sounds better and smoother?

> Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comment

Hi They maybe should have called these things the Snowflake, because no two are alike. My trap circuit is optimized for one sample. Others may not measure quite that well. There will still be a bump and dip, although it's greatly attenuated. I tried a higher crossover point, but I couldn't get things as tidy, and there doesn't seem to be much audible treble stress. Still, I'm not claiming that they produce first class sound. Only really good sound for the money.

Comment

> Hi They maybe should have called these
                          > things the Snowflake, because no two are
                          > alike. My trap circuit is optimized for one
                          > sample. Others may not measure quite that
                          > well. There will still be a bump and dip,
                          > although it's greatly attenuated.

I think that most will still be very good with that XO.

I've got another unmodified pair that I plan to measure soon. This may help to show the consistency. They do seem to be fairly consistent from what I've seen, though I do think that the biggest variation is in the woofer surround/cone resonance.

> I tried a
                          > higher crossover point, but I couldn't get
                          > things as tidy, and there doesn't seem to be
                          > much audible treble stress.

The tradeoff seems to be how far down can you push the breakup vs. how high you can set the Fc. I thought that there was a bit more harshness to the upper midrange with a slightly lower Fc that I was attributing to the tweeter, possibly due to its horn-loading from the woofer.

> Still, I'm not
                          > claiming that they produce first class
                          > sound. Only really good sound for the money.

I recently put an M/T with the P.E. RS125 and SS9300 in their place in a 3-way setup that had the Insignia as M/T. The improvement is not subtle. The better comparison, though, would be with the RS28A rather than the 9300 cost-wise. The modded Insignia still is hard to beat for the cost.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

The variation I've noticed has been in the 2-4 kHz area. One of my Insignias measures with a slight elevation in that area with my mod, and the other measures with a depression. 2-3 dB variation. So for mine it seems to be a tweeter issue, perhaps different Fs's .

Comment

> The variation I've noticed has been in the
                              > 2-4 kHz area. One of my Insignias measures
                              > with a slight elevation in that area with my
                              > mod, and the other measures with a
                              > depression. 2-3 dB variation. So for mine it
                              > seems to be a tweeter issue, perhaps
                              > different Fs's .

I'll check this for consistency in mine.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
                              X