building my own speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building my own speaker

want to build a 350 watt 3 way speaker measurement;15.8by 28.8 by 12.3 so what are the other things like capaciter would i need.
    speaker im buying is ; 12 inche woofer, 9 inch horn midrage,pair of 2.5 inche horn tweeter

Re: building my own speaker

> want to build a 350 watt 3 way speaker
    > measurement;15.8by 28.8 by 12.3 so what are
    > the other things like capaciter would i
    > need.
    > speaker im buying is ; 12 inche woofer, 9
    > inch horn midrage,pair of 2.5 inche horn
    > tweeter

Make, model, application, size of room, music type, budget, etc? The woofer you buy dictates the box, and alignment. 2 tweeters causes problems when mounted in the same plane. Unless DJing, frat-partying, or doing sound reinforcement, you'll never use all 350W, regardless of speaker. If your amp is 350W peak-RMS output, and you don't peg the knob, you'll not drive that hard except through musical transients in the source material. Maybe 100W at the most is all you'd need in the home environment, and 200W per channel stereo is enough for non-clipping your amp on a typical 88dB speaker, at a moderate output. You'll probably kill your amp or speakers, if you run full-bore. They aren't meant to do that. I'm sure if you post some more background, most of us would be willing to get you started into this addicting hobby. It's all about the music,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Questions

What are you going to use the speaker or speakers for?
      What are you planning on driving them with for amplification?

Are the boxes of this dimension something you already have and you are putting drivers in them?
      ts generally easier to fit the box size to the drivers not the drivers to the box, but if you already have these boxes you may be able to do it the other way.

Answer these questions and the guys here will come up with a workable solution for your situation.

David

> want to build a 350 watt 3 way speaker
      > measurement;15.8by 28.8 by 12.3 so what are
      > the other things like capaciter would i
      > need.
      > speaker im buying is ; 12 inche woofer, 9
      > inch horn midrage,pair of 2.5 inche horn
      > tweeter

Comment

Working...
      X