Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    He's a SPAMMER!!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Dirttracker73
    replied
    I had similar problems with a receiver. As lasse stated, it was also the speaker output/ protection relay that had intermittant continuity at the contacts. If present, these relays should be near the speaker terminals on the amp board. The covers of these relays come off and I cleaned the contacts by pulling a tiny strip of super-fine sand paper between the contacts. The problem has not occurred since.

Leave a comment:

• lasse
    replied
    Hi,

I had a similar problem with a NAD amp a while ago. At low "throttle", one channel dropped out from time to time but when I increased the volume, the sound came back.

Turned out to be a bad speaker output relay. A new one cost abt 5 USD. Fixed the problem in 5 minutes.

Just my 2 cents...

Regards//lasse

Leave a comment:

• mikejennens
    replied
    I would start simple, if you haven't already. The switches and pots on equipment with any age oxidize quite often. I've had many, especially older Marantz, pieces of equipment that did some weird things that a good de-oxit treatment fixed. The selector switch is a common problem area and a lot of the push buttons too. I'd give it a good de-ox bath and see if it gets better.
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• Paul O
    replied
    Originally posted by evilskillit View Post
    I've got a Harman/Kardon HK 590i, just now the right channel started cutting out. If I turn up the volume either on the receiver it's self, or on the PC hooked up to the receiver the right channel will come back. Then it'll go back out again sooner or later.

This sort of thing seems to be a common problem. I've got an old Onkyo out in the garage with a similar issue and my old Klipsch Promedia 2.1 computer speakers had this problem at some point. It seems to be a really common failure mode on audio equipment.

Is there any one thing in particular that causes this sort of behavior?
    Yes.. a short in the speaker or speaker wiring. Is it always the right side and was it always the right side with the other receiver? If you switch speakers L to R does the problem follow the speaker or not?

Leave a comment:

• make_some_noise
    replied
    Originally posted by evilskillit View Post
    I've got a Harman/Kardon HK 590i, just now the right channel started cutting out. If I turn up the volume either on the receiver it's self, or on the PC hooked up to the receiver the right channel will come back. Then it'll go back out again sooner or later.

This sort of thing seems to be a common problem. I've got an old Onkyo out in the garage with a similar issue and my old Klipsch Promedia 2.1 computer speakers had this problem at some point. It seems to be a really common failure mode on audio equipment.

Is there any one thing in particular that causes this sort of behavior? I don't have problems with the headphone output on my computer and I've checked all the wires and the connections at the amp and at the speakers so I suspect it's a problem with the amp it's self either on the board or in the volume pot. Any ideas as to how to fix the problem, how I might keep this from happening on pieces of equipment down the road? The Onkyo still has the problem, the HK receiver just started doing it. I replaced the volume potentiometer on my Klipsch PC speakers and it fixed them for a while, but eventually they got cranky again and I just gave them away and stopped using them.

Thanks for the help
    -Skllit

In the case of the Promedia's the problem is usually the barrel connector on the plate amp breaks or it's solder joints go bad. Because the sub often gets put under a desk and feet push it into the wall, it causes unneeded stress on that connector. I have Promedia 2.1 sub sitting here with that exact problem, I've seen several of these systems that have this issue.

Most all of these problems are usually due to bad pots, switches, connectors or bad solder joints. If you can spot it and fix it by hand with an iron... That is the best way... If not, the oven/reflow technique can often resurrect if you can strip it down far enough to not have any soft plastic etc... that can melt under the heat.

Leave a comment:

• evilskillit
    replied
    It does happen with pretty much any source, my phone, my computer, doesn't matter which input either. I think Wogg is probably correct. I ordered some contact cleaner on amazon prime the other night so we'll try that when it arrives. If that's not it then I guess I have to decide if I feel like tearing the thing apart trying to find the bad joint. Maybe I'll just shove the whole thing in the oven and try to reflow it, we'll see.

Leave a comment:

• wogg
    replied
    A worn out switch, a cracked solder joint, or a bad potentiometer in the signal path can all cause the signal to drop out like that. When you crank the signal, the extra voltage can bridge the gap temporarily giving you your on then off again effect.

Leave a comment:

• hongrn
    replied
    Does this happen with different sources? I experience this once in a while when I play FLAC files through Foobar and the buffer is not set correctly. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• evilskillit
    started a topic Amp channel cutting out

Amp channel cutting out

Is there any one thing in particular that causes this sort of behavior? I don't have problems with the headphone output on my computer and I've checked all the wires and the connections at the amp and at the speakers so I suspect it's a problem with the amp it's self either on the board or in the volume pot. Any ideas as to how to fix the problem, how I might keep this from happening on pieces of equipment down the road? The Onkyo still has the problem, the HK receiver just started doing it. I replaced the volume potentiometer on my Klipsch PC speakers and it fixed them for a while, but eventually they got cranky again and I just gave them away and stopped using them.

Thanks for the help
    -Skllit
Working...
X