Another AMAZING Speaker from Dan N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another AMAZING Speaker from Dan N

Holy Cow, those speakers are super cool looking. Just noticed them in the Project Gallery: http://projectgallery.parts-express....the-scimitars/

Nice work, Dan. Everything about them seems well thought-out and interesting. Things like those accent lines and the contrasting port underneath, as well as the inverted driver and contrasting upper texture/color. I would love to see them at the MWAF this year. There isn't any reason why project team projects can't compete at the speaker competition is there?

Excellent work. I love the pics showing all the inside detail as well. Wow.

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

I love the spirit and work that went into that design, inspiring!

Comment

No- Design team projects cannot compete. If the Design Team member builds one outside the commissions, and PE does not foot the bill- they can compete in MWAF's competition. Dan's Scimitars are therefore excluded. John Hollander explained this to me this weekend.

Oh- and they sounded awesome at InDIYana....
      Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        No- Design team projects cannot compete. If the Design Team member builds one outside the commissions, and PE does not foot the bill- they can compete in MWAF's competition. Dan's Scimitars are therefore excluded. John Hollander explained this to me this weekend.

Oh- and they sounded awesome at InDIYana....
        Later,
        Wolf
        Okay, makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

They sounded better than they looked; If that's even possible. Haha! great job Dan, it was a pleasure listening to these. Is that carpet padding lining the inside?
          My Build Thread's
          Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Easily a step above the rest. I think Dan brings a lot of architecture training into speaker building, and it shows. I was stunned when Dan first unveiled the design. I wish I could listen to them.
            Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
            ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
            LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
            Sonata Soundbar Project
            The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

They were very fun to listen too. Excellent execution. I've never heard (or seen) a design from Dan that didn't thoroughly impress me!

Comment

Wow guys! Thanks for the kind words. I just finally got them out of my car this evening. Not easy to do with just me and my wife. Craig and I were carrying them to put them in my car and we decided they had to be at least 100# each. You would get a kick out of watching me taking these from my upstairs family room, which has sort of become my design/ measurement voicing studio, to the main floor, by lying them down, positioning myself below them and then sliding them step by stop down the carpeted, l-shaped stairs.

The one series of photo's is of the mid chamber and tweeter box and the method I came up with so that it all can be disassembled. The white dacron sheeting you see in some of the photos ended up not being used. I went to one layer of 3-1/2" Ultratouch denim insulation midway in the bass bins, above the first shelf brace. It was measurably better than either the dacron sheet, standard fiberglass insulation and acousta-stuff for what I was trying to do.

I never asked PE if we could compete at MWAF with our creations. I just assumed that we could not, then found out this weekend that John had asked and verified that this was indeed the case. Still, if would be nice it PE were to plan some time for the team to just demo without competing, just to show, in one place, some of what the team has accomplished. It is a very full and busy event already, however, so I don't know where the time would come from, unless there was a totally separate area for design team stuff that people could look at, audition, or ask questions.

I'm not completely satisfied with the grey portion painted portion and that might still change, but probably not until fall, if at all. I had envisioned a high gloss finish, but really just ran out of time and have to get a couple more projects done for PE by August-September.
                Last edited by dlneubec; 04-04-2016, 12:59 PM.
                Dan N.

Comment

Wow, those are absolutely beautiful. I really like the design!

Comment

Dan, I didn't see (may have missed it) in the write-up how you bonded the rubber CLD layer with the other panels. What did you use and did you use 45 degree miters on the edges after binding to glue up all the pieces or did you use some kind of end cap? Thanks!
                    -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                      Dan, I didn't see (may have missed it) in the write-up how you bonded the rubber CLD layer with the other panels. What did you use and did you use 45 degree miters on the edges after binding to glue up all the pieces or did you use some kind of end cap? Thanks!
                      Good point, I didn't mention that. I used 3m High Strength 90 spray on adhesive for the rubber material and the 1/4" constrained plywood layer as well. I'm not sure I follow the second question about end caps. Are you talking about the constrained layers or the miters on the main body?
                      Dan N.

Comment

These speakers looked and sounded fabulous, and man did they dig deep. Clearly the best speakers of the day. Dan never fails to impress!
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Thanks, Jeff. It is pretty rewarding to work hard on something and have it come together well enough for others to appreciate your efforts. Unlike a lot of things, you can look forward to enjoying your creations for years to come. I enjoy everything but the finishing stage, which is a bit of a grind.
                          Dan N.

Comment

Dan, since we often have troubles with our emails, I'm letting you know that I've sent you 3 emails in recent days, two on the 3rd and one yesterday, with the first a reply and the other two new. Just want to make sure you got them, that's all.
                            Paul

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                            Thanks, Jeff. It is pretty rewarding to work hard on something and have it come together well enough for others to appreciate your efforts. Unlike a lot of things, you can look forward to enjoying your creations for years to come. I enjoy everything but the finishing stage, which is a bit of a grind.

Comment

I'm going to be a contrarian - I like wood, and in that respect, the Echelons are are "gold standard".
                              Certainly something to aspire to.
                              As for the Scimitars - I'd love to hear that TB honeycomb mid.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Working...
                              X