• Show
Clear All

• raspberry pi tube amp hat...

Anyone else intrigued by this...

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/raspber...es-03-05-2016/
    Carbon13

Sweet!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

That's not the kind of hat I was hoping for, but still pretty cool.
      "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
      exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Agreed, it is sweet, cool and intriguing all at the same time. I guess the vacuum tubes would warm up by the time the OS to completes its boot on the pi?

Comment

looks like an imitation of this:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/12...LM317-Headamp/

just don't have high hopes for great sound

btw, I do use raspberry pi 2 with the IQAudio DAC, now that is great sounding, will not be spending any more money or time searching buying
          other DACs, it is great enough for me.

Comment

So, an I2S DAC + a hybrid headphone amp for $99, not a bad deal.
            My Statement monitors
            My Piccolatas
            My LM3886 amp

Comment

Originally posted by Bengali
              btw, I do use raspberry pi 2 with the IQAudio DAC, now that is great sounding, will not be spending any more money or time searching buying other DACs, it is great enough for me.
              I have this same DAC and am totally pleased with it as well. I'm using the line outs to my amp in my main system, not for headphones. Once I got 'hardware volume control' working on the pi 2, its performance is equal to that of my Oppo BDP-83.

Comment

I really want to try one out, but it isn't compatible with J. River(yet). It does look really cool though.
                "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I'm trying to use the IQ Pi-DAC with a Pi3, without much success. I'd like to use it with an external CD/DVD player and thumb drive, given I don't have access to effective, inexpensive broadband radio or streaming services at home. I didn't think to order the SD card, and haven't been able so far to burn any of the images from the IQaudio website, though I did burn a NOOBS image for the PI3 and it works, less the Pi-DAC. I'd appreciate any suggestions for sorting this out. Thanks in advance.

Comment

What Pi-DAC are you using?
                    What are you using to "burn" the images?
                    My Statement monitors
                    My Piccolatas
                    My LM3886 amp

Comment

I have the IQAUDIO Pi-DAC, and an R-Pi3. The Pi works well with a R-Pi touch screen using an SD card I burned/flashed.

I used SDFormatter, then extracted the IQAUDIO quicktest file to the SD card. I tried both quick format and a complete erase and re-format on 3 different SD cards. I also tried the Rune Audio file and a few others on the IQAUDIO website, but without success.

I'm waiting on an order of new SD cards, thinking those I have may be corrupted. Although that doesn't make sense given I reformatted one of these and it currently runs the Pi3 without problems.

I wonder if the latest IQAUDIO pcbs, may not be entirely compatible with the Pi3. I have a Pi2, but it has developed an entirely different problem, that excludes using it to test the IQAUDIO Pi-DAC.

Comment

I believe that you need a Pi-DAC+ to use it in the RPi3. Could you verify that you have the + version?
                        If not, you may need an older model RPi (non + and non numbered) for that DAC.
                        My Statement monitors
                        My Piccolatas
                        My LM3886 amp

Comment

I just checked the sales receipt, it is the Pi-DAC+. I should receive new SD cards in a few days, and I'll try burning/flashing a new one. It was interesting that the Pi booted from the regular Raspian SD card, with the Pi-DAC in place. Although the Pi-DAC wasn't recognized. With Pi-DAC in place, I was able to play music through the Pi-3, using the 3mm jack' or the HDMI connector to an HDMI splitter connected to an amp. I may also try to make the recommended changes using the terminal once I understand the Pi better. Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you tired downloading the files from the source?
                            For example, Rune Audio:
                            http://www.runeaudio.com/download/
                            http://sourceforge.net/projects/rune...mg.gz/download

I'm using the hifiberry DAC in a old RPi B model with no problems, tested Rune, Volumio and PiCorePlayer.

If you are using a windows computer, try using Win32Diskimager to burn the image. If you have problems, try USB Image tool. RuneAudio's documentation is quite comprehensive:
                            http://www.runeaudio.com/documentation/
                            My Statement monitors
                            My Piccolatas
                            My LM3886 amp

Comment

Working...
                            X